mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Specialized Safire Evo Conversion

Just wondering if anyone had done an evo or similar conversion on a Safire?
    My wife is looking at getting the 2013 model on closeout in either spec at 50%off, she rode both at a demo day and really enjoyed both but also rode the stumpy 26er and liked the 140mm travel front and back.
    The safire comp model runs a 120mm fork and 120mm shock
    The expert model has an adjustable 140/120 fork and 120 shock. My idea was to see if I could transfer the 140mm triad shock from my '11 stumpy comp to her new bike assuming they both use the same proprietary link and clevis.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any idea if there will be a safire evo in 2014?

Don't worry, be happy!
    A long time ago, I put a Marzocchi bomber 110 on a bike that came with an 80.... the geometry was changed which took a little getting used to.

mtbr member
    Well, it's not super simple.

Putting the 140mm fork on is fine, as Specialized does this for the Expert model as you mentioned. Rear shock may be another story. The overall shock length (eye-to-eye) and stroke is important here. The rocker or shock linkage is designed to have a certain amount of travel. Say the bike is 120mm and uses a 7.875" x 2.00" (aka 200mm x 50mm) shock. To get 120mm of travel the linkage is tuned with a ratio of 2.4 (120mm travel/50mm stroke). Now, let's put a 7.875" x 2.25" (aka 200mm x 57mm) shock on....the eye-to-eye is the same, but we've added 7mm of shock stroke....not very much. We know the linkage is tuned to 2.4, so now our travel will be 2.4 * 57mm = 137mm. So by adding 7mm of stroke, we've bumped wheel travel to 137mm. Great! Or maybe not. By adding 17mm of rear wheel travel, there is a possibility that the linkage or wheel, or some part of the suspension will now strike the frame (the seat tube or something like that).

The long and short of it is: It might work, but it might also cause damage to the frame...it will certainly void the warranty.

As for a Safire Evo coming out in the future, I do not know.

Personally, I think that adding the 140mm fork and keeping the 120mm rear will be a major improvement...it will slacken the bike out by a degree. It will feel more stable on the descents.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxpuppet View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had done an evo or similar conversion on a Safire?
    My wife is looking at getting the 2013 model on closeout in either spec at 50%off, she rode both at a demo day and really enjoyed both but also rode the stumpy 26er and liked the 140mm travel front and back.
    The safire comp model runs a 120mm fork and 120mm shock
    The expert model has an adjustable 140/120 fork and 120 shock. My idea was to see if I could transfer the 140mm triad shock from my '11 stumpy comp to her new bike assuming they both use the same proprietary link and clevis.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any idea if there will be a safire evo in 2014?
    You could overfork the front and run a 140mm, but you cannot change the rear.

Overforking the front 20mm will slacken the bike 1 degree and raise the BB about 6-8mm. It may not seem like much, but when you're short, every millimeter counts.

If she likes the Stumpy 26er, get her the Stumpy 26er or she's going to be unhappy.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Specialized Safire Evo Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    You could overfork the front and run a 140mm, but you cannot change the rear.

Overforking the front 20mm will slacken the bike 1 degree and raise the BB about 6-8mm. It may not seem like much, but when you're short, every millimeter counts.

If she likes the Stumpy 26er, get her the Stumpy 26er or she's going to be unhappy.
    You have all pretty much answered my questions, thanks.
    I was only speculating and was pretty certain it was not going to be an easy thing to do. She has repeatedly told me she had way more fun on the safire at the demo day.
    It was the '12 pro model with the specialized future shock fork 140-115 which was replaced by the expert model in '14 with the fox fork 140-120.
    She has an 09 trance x2 now with a 120 fox fork and 120mm rp2.
    She has commented on liking the 140 front and rear travel my stumpy has and felt a bit more comfortable in rough stuff on the '12 stumpy 26 at the demo than the safire. But she prefers the stand over and overall feel of the safire vs the stumpy.

She hated the 29ers she rode at the demo Stumpy, fate and epic. They didn't have a rumor then.

I'm pretty certain she will go for the safire as its in stock and at 50% off is hard to pass up.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxpuppet View Post
    You have all pretty much answered my questions, thanks.
    I was only speculating and was pretty certain it was not going to be an easy thing to do. She has repeatedly told me she had way more fun on the safire at the demo day.
    It was the '12 pro model with the specialized future shock fork 140-115 which was replaced by the expert model in '14 with the fox fork 140-120.
    She has an 09 trance x2 now with a 120 fox fork and 120mm rp2.
    She has commented on liking the 140 front and rear travel my stumpy has and felt a bit more comfortable in rough stuff on the '12 stumpy 26 at the demo than the safire. But she prefers the stand over and overall feel of the safire vs the stumpy.

She hated the 29ers she rode at the demo Stumpy, fate and epic. They didn't have a rumor then.

I'm pretty certain she will go for the safire as its in stock and at 50% off is hard to pass up.
    Yeah, it's her bike, she has to go with what's comfortable.
    Standover: clam slam sucks, definitely go for better standover.

You can make the 120mm rear more plush, so she's not stuck with feeling miserable. And the 140mm fork is prolly good then.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD