mtbr member
    Oct 2007

specialized safire conversion to 650b

Does anyone know if or has anyone converted a specialized safire to 650b? I was thinking about converting a 2012 safire.

Would it be as simple as trying a 650 wheel to check for clearance and getting a 650b fork?

Thanks

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclerDi View Post
    Does anyone know if or has anyone converted a specialized safire to 650b? I was thinking about converting a 2012 safire.

Would it be as simple as trying a 650 wheel to check for clearance and getting a 650b fork?

Thanks
    Have you checked out the 650B forum? They might have some insight

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks - that may be a better place to start.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclerDi View Post
    Thanks - that may be a better place to start.
    Here's another link that may help: 650B Palace

Curious to why you want to try 650B? I'm not a fan of 29ers (test rode 5 of them), but I'd be willing to try a 650B.

see me rollin, they hatin
    many 6er forks will allow for a 650 up front. i was going to do the same thing for my bike, back when i had my BMC. if you have a fox, it should clear, as long as you dont go above 2.3 width tires.

the rear you may have a problem, but many people ride "B-sixers" with just the bigger wheel up front. THey say you still get many of the benefits of a 650, even with just one bigger wheel.
    fap

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I bought a 29er hard tail (specialized fate) a couple of months ago so I am still getting used to it. I have been pleasantly surprised on how much I like it especially the increased momentum with the larger wheels but not really liking it in the technical stuff. Miss the full suspension in the techncial stuff.

I test rode one 650 and liked it but the one I rode was a tank - the bike was heavy. It had a 160mm of travel that I don't need. I felt like it had good momentum - more like the 29er than a 26.

My goal is to have a 29er for longer less techncial rides and the 650 for the more technical stuff. I don't want to spend a lot of money so if I could convert that would be awesome. I may have to wait for more choices with 650.

yeah, i think with a wheelsize like 650, the 120-140 range of travel is all you'd need. i have a 29er with 120, and some think even that is overkill. 160mm on a bigger wheel is pretty beefy, but some like it. Again, if you feel you want to hold onto your Safire for a while, you can stick the bigger wheel up front only. The guys who did it, say you get about 75% of the benefit. it will also raise your front end about a half inch, so you may feel more confident on downhills.
    fap

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nicole
    So you must have a full suspension 29er. I saw you post being more confident going over log jumps etc. Is that on a full suspension 29er?

yes, Giant Trance X29. they carry extra small, so thats the only way i could do it, even though now, many brands are starting to make them smaller.
    fap

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Very good -sounds like the bike works very well for you.

That was on my list to test ride when I was thinking full suspension 29er. Then I thought that 27.5 maybe the way I should go.

Decisions. Decisions.