Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Solo Riding and Zoning Out

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Faybie77 
#1 · (Edited)

#2 ·
Faybie77 said:
I have noticed that lately when I am riding by myself at certain parts of the ride I just kind of zone out. It's usually on moderate single track that's obviously not too technical. Then I wake back up when I hit a climb, obstacle, or decent. It's almost like driving a car and arriving at a destination without remembering how you got there.

The major problem I have with this is that I am not improving my ride time at all because when I zone out I slow down and go deep into thought. This is nice once in a while (to be one with nature), but I really need to be more alert and improving myself. :madman:

Does this happen to any of you? If so, how do you snap out of it and stay alert?
I think I tend to zone out more when I'm riding behind someone else and I just subconsciously follow their line instead of analyzing the terrain. I don't zone out though if I'm making it a game/challenge (all I'd have to do with my regular group of guys is to ride their rear wheel close for a minute and they'd crank it up or let me pass and then it would be game on.) Or if I'm riding with someone who wants a slower pace, I'll start looking for little rocks and things to bunnyhop and see if I can clear them, or see if I can keep up without pedaling by just pumping through rolling terrain or work on manualing.

The same concept would work alone - it just depends on your goals. Pick a hill and time yourself on the climb and see if you can improve it. Or do intervals and set an alarm on your watch. Or do what I mentioned above and see how many little obstacles you can bunnyhop and clear completely. Depends on what your goals are.

Though zoning out isn't a bad thing sometimes.

#3 ·
How about setting some personal goals for each ride? I rarely ride solo anymore but when/if I do they are training rides. Prior to having a coach I would set a 'ride goal' for myself. Sometimes it would be to practice a certain skill or climb a hill in one gear higher than last time. Is the singletrack such that you could practice cornering on? If you have a bike computer you can also set a certain MPH that you want to accomplish and then adjust gears and rpms to stay at that MPH. Is it possible to ride it in the reverse direction? It's surprising how much the trail changes when you change the direction you ride it. You can also looks for obstacles to the sides of the singletrack to make them more interesting.

Or....worst case, you can buy a new singlespeed. I just got one to add a challenge to the parks that I was finding a bit 'boring'. It certainly kept my attention for the entire ride. :D

#5 ·
For me, after working and being super alert all day, I just want to zone out. But, riding is a hobby and stress reliever for me, not a race, etc.

Sometimes I like to be vigilant, however, and feel like more of an active rider, rather than passively riding the same trails. Perhaps you could benefit from riding at a new place?

#7 ·
disc brakes or v-brakes?

Cornering fast is a great skill and takes work but one of my most favorite things.

Years ago my daughter and I would disconnect our back brakes (v-brakes) then race on the twistiest trail we could find. You learn to corner real fast with a few laps of that.

More recently I have been experimenting with different body positions while cornering. Not only pointing my knee in the direction of the turn, but also pulling in my elbows, making myself skinny. I have also been sliding back on my seat and shifting my weight more.

The best corning improvement came from riding my SS. Seems when you have no gears to move to, you learn to optimize the momentem and not brake while cornering.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.