Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

So You Wanna Teach Your Girlfriend or Wife How to Mountain Bike?

6K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  petey15 
G
#1 ·
#8 ·
Great piece, Stripes! I was lucky enough to enjoy my first mtb ride with a guy who "got it" and despite having to use one of his bikes, he took the time to make it fit me as best as he could. He was super patient and very encouraging. Despite falling several times, I fell in love that day. Bought my first hardtail and took a class. I've been hooked ever since!

#9 ·
I was lucky! Unfortunately my friend has since moved west and I no longer get to ride with him, but we still talk bikes a lot. I have witnessed what you described, however, and sometimes I'm quick to butt in and offer my opinion. Like one woman, in particular, was just learning and kept getting pressured by her husband to switch to clipless pedals. Well, she simply wasn't comfortable with the idea. He was trying to tell her that she couldn't climb without clipless pedals. She pointed to me (they had joined us for a group ride for the first time) and stated I was riding flats. He made some comment about I should switch over, too. Uh huh. Well...that was the final straw. I responded back that I HAVE clipless pedals, and HAD ridden them for years, but felt like it was actually hindering me in some ways (in regards to learning the proper technique) and that yes, it's a different technique, but didn't feel that I NEEDED to have clipless pedals to climb well, or enjoy myself. It's fine to have your own opinion, but don't try to belittle or bully someone into trying something they clearly are not comfortable with. Let someone come to their own conclusions, when they are more experienced and confident.

Anyway - am I to understand you've written other articles as well on MTBforher? I really enjoyed the one about "My Grom Coach", too!

#11 ·
Oh, I looove hearing those "You should ride clipless because of blah.." One of the faster riders I know rides flats. And she's even convinced her husband to go to flats. For me, it was a mental thing. After ACL surgery, I just didn't like being attached to my bike. After that, my confidence soared.

I never had a catastrophic injury, but got so tired of trying something and failing to unclip in time. It started to really affect my confidence. Once I went back to flats, and I could dab when needed, the confidence came back. Soon I was trying stuff again and succeeding. I think, for me, clipless pedals have their place (on less technical trails, perhaps), but I'm getting so much more enjoyment with my flats.

Thanks :) Yep, I'm a regular there (even posted a video of me crashing), and that's my latest one. Glad you liked it.. I haven't gotten much feedback about it at all, so it's nice to see that people like it.
I loved that article! I identified with a lot of what you said. We have a grom that rides with us, too. He just started downhill racing this past year. He is so incredibly encouraging and supportive - it's amazing how cool kids can be to ride with. Anyway, keep up the riding, you've inspired me to want to take a downhill clinic this year!

#13 ·
Do you find you have more control with your feet on the flat pedals? I do, more of a contact patch from the foot to the pedal (as opposed to that little cleat), so I can definitely move the bike with my legs much better.

I got completely rid of my clipless pedals last year. Even the flat pedals people use can be an interesting discussion. Not everyone likes the big pins I have in the Straitline DeFactos but I love them :D
Not only do I find I have more control (I agree with the larger contact patch), but I have a lot more mobility and have had zero knee pain since I switched back. At first I had to get used to keeping my feet planted on the pedal, and not bounce around on the rough stuff, but I think I have that down pretty well now. I'm in love with the looks of the DMR Vault pedals - think they would awesome on my Giant Trance X 29er :D (it's all about accessorizing, right?).

#15 ·
My husband is the GM of a bike shop... here is his contrabution to your list:

#12. When you go into the bike shop, do all of the talking for her. There's no way she could possibly know what she wants or needs because it's all overwhelming techy "guy" stuff. Buy her only entry level products because you don't want to waste your money on stuff that she's never going to use all that much anyway (and tell her that in front of the salesperson).

#25 ·
No worries - I understood what you meant - he was referring to the husband/SO, not himself (or any shop owner). A shop should definitely not do that, not if they want to get people interested and make money on a sale. It just baffles me that a SO would do that, especially if they wanted their partner to love the sport and ride with them. Maybe he was afraid of introducing her to yet another sport she'd excel at :thumbsup:

I didn't have anyone take me to the shop when I bought my first bike (well, I was visiting my parents at the time, so they came along). I had done a couple months worth of research and was prepared with a good idea of what I was looking for and what I hoped to accomplish. I remember being greeted by the shop owner and his wife. His wife initially started to help me out, but when I started talking components and a few other things, she quickly got her husband, because I knew more than she did! Even if you have no personal experience, I find it quite helpful to at least be up to speed on a few things - kinda like car shopping. For instance, I got a great deal on the hardtail I ended up buying that day, in part because I knew it was the previous year's model. :D I enjoyed doing my own research and love the tech side of biking. It helped me gain a lot of confidence and my interest in the sport grew. Having a SO tell you in front of someone else that you know nothing sure isn't encouraging - I can only hope it didn't dissuade her from enjoying the sport.

#23 ·
..and me in my tea... ROFLMAO!

A few people said I should do a second part. I prefer being in the conversation this generates here. It's much more fun.
I think that you should write a part 2 just so that we can have more material to have good conversation about. Nicely done. :thumbsup:

While it doesn't pertain to much in my life in terms of the men that I coexist with, there was the time that my ex "taught" me to snowski. The double black diamond reference brought it all back. :madman:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.