Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    see me rollin, they hatin
    found that bike in the stolen classifieds. IT WAS YOU WASNT IT?!

guess i dont blame you.
    fap

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Thanks for that - I just snorted my coffee!
    ..and me in my tea... ROFLMAO!

A few people said I should do a second part. I prefer being in the conversation this generates here. It's much more fun.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by CyclerDi View Post
    That was a great article. Liked the part about taking off as soon as she catches up. Can't tell you how many times that had happened to me.
    That was from regular personal experience. Being on the other end of it sometimes now, I just make sure I try to stake myself out in a good spot with a camera. For people with too much energy, they're told to go sheepdog and herd the slower person.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by thines View Post
    My husband is the GM of a bike shop... here is his contrabution to your list:

#12. When you go into the bike shop, do all of the talking for her. There's no way she could possibly know what she wants or needs because it's all overwhelming techy "guy" stuff. Buy her only entry level products because you don't want to waste your money on stuff that she's never going to use all that much anyway (and tell her that in front of the salesperson).
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Oh yeah, because condescension is always a great motivator. Ouch!
    Yes, I'm familiar with the condescension, just not from a bike shop (car mechanics, tech, even though I work in tech). This is one I haven't experienced, but I've heard about a lot of people who go through it.

Dudette
    Wait - you mean to tell me someone stole that bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    oh... you guys took that totally wrong! He was adding to the list in the same, witty/sarcastic manner. He was saying he deals with this at his bike shop every day... and it drives him CRAZY to see it happen to a woman coming in to buy a bike!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    ..and me in my tea... ROFLMAO!

A few people said I should do a second part. I prefer being in the conversation this generates here. It's much more fun.
    I think that you should write a part 2 just so that we can have more material to have good conversation about. Nicely done.

While it doesn't pertain to much in my life in terms of the men that I coexist with, there was the time that my ex "taught" me to snowski. The double black diamond reference brought it all back.

mtbr member
    Shrieking with laughter. Thanks!

Dudette
    oh... you guys took that totally wrong! He was adding to the list in the same, witty/sarcastic manner. He was saying he deals with this at his bike shop every day... and it drives him CRAZY to see it happen to a woman coming in to buy a bike!
    No worries - I understood what you meant - he was referring to the husband/SO, not himself (or any shop owner). A shop should definitely not do that, not if they want to get people interested and make money on a sale. It just baffles me that a SO would do that, especially if they wanted their partner to love the sport and ride with them. Maybe he was afraid of introducing her to yet another sport she'd excel at

I didn't have anyone take me to the shop when I bought my first bike (well, I was visiting my parents at the time, so they came along). I had done a couple months worth of research and was prepared with a good idea of what I was looking for and what I hoped to accomplish. I remember being greeted by the shop owner and his wife. His wife initially started to help me out, but when I started talking components and a few other things, she quickly got her husband, because I knew more than she did! Even if you have no personal experience, I find it quite helpful to at least be up to speed on a few things - kinda like car shopping. For instance, I got a great deal on the hardtail I ended up buying that day, in part because I knew it was the previous year's model. I enjoyed doing my own research and love the tech side of biking. It helped me gain a lot of confidence and my interest in the sport grew. Having a SO tell you in front of someone else that you know nothing sure isn't encouraging - I can only hope it didn't dissuade her from enjoying the sport.

Team Chilidog!
    Yep, I got that I would love to hear more shop stories related to this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2