Dudette

Smaller ladies - what do you ride for park/dirt jumping?

I suppose the longer you ride and the more you start progressing in this sport, the more you become curious about other disciplines - at least that's how it's been for me. Pump tracks and indoor parks are becoming more and more popular, and a new one was built about an hour from me. I've never been to Ray's, or the new park for that matter. I'll admit...doing that is more intimidating than learning to mountain bike with the guys. Probably because I never bmx'd or anything like that as a kid. Recently there was a women's clinic there, but I was unable to attend. I think I'd find that a lot less intimidating. Thing is, I don't have that kind of bike and I've heard the rentals are on the large side.

Anyway, I've been doing some research into park/dirt jump bikes. The first thing I learned is that there doesn't seem to be that many available for us short-statured people? I'm 5'4" and while I like an ETT of around 22.5" tops...the way these bikes are measured seem to be different, and they recommend shorter top tubes? So, I would think I'd be looking at something along the 21 - 21.5" range? I would definitely want front suspension. Oh, and I'm thinking singlespeed, too. What do you ride?

Dudette
    I suppose it would help to say I'm 5'4" with a 29.5" inseam.

pin it
    I am 5'5". I built up a size small Norco (it was onsale!), to ride my back yard pump track. Its also good for local DJ's and the indoor bike park.

It was important to me to be able to raise and lower the seat for riding to the local DJ's (I'm not young)

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I am 5'5". I built up a size small Norco (it was onsale!), to ride my back yard pump track. Its also good for local DJ's and the indoor bike park.

It was important to me to be able to raise and lower the seat for riding to the local DJ's (I'm not young)

Oh, that's right! Didn't you post this frame in the blinged-out rides thread? Do you have pictures of the completed bike? I'm not young, either, and feel a little self-conscious of the idea of going to a bike park for the first time. But darn, it just looks like so much fun! I dragged my bmx out of the basement, but I want something with bigger wheels. Not to mention that thing weighs as much, if not more, than my TX 29er.

Is your pump track finished yet? I remember it was covered in snow when you posted.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Oh, that's right! Didn't you post this frame in the blinged-out rides thread? Do you have pictures of the completed bike? I'm not young, either, and feel a little self-conscious of the idea of going to a bike park for the first time. But darn, it just looks like so much fun! I dragged my bmx out of the basement, but I want something with bigger wheels. Not to mention that thing weighs as much, if not more, than my TX 29er.

Is your pump track finished yet? I remember it was covered in snow when you posted.
    Is that the Ryde 26? What's the standover like for you? It looked like it was around 29" online, which would be a little close for comfort for me, I'm afraid, especially for jumping. But I see they have a version for 24" wheels which may work...

Team Chilidog!
    Petey: I'm your height (ok, I vary between 5'4" and 5'5", depending on my slouchiness), but I have an inseam (to the ground) measurement of something like 28.5."

I'm really happy with mysmall Yeti DJ. I have zero issues with clearance.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Petey: I'm your height (ok, I vary between 5'4" and 5'5", depending on my slouchiness), but I have an inseam (to the ground) measurement of something like 28.5."

I'm really happy with mysmall Yeti DJ. I have zero issues with clearance.
    I was wondering if you jumped, Stripes. Is it a newer frame? How do you feel about the reach? I've been reading that it's recommended top tubes be shorter than what you would normally have for normal mtb use. Do you ever use it in parks? I was interested in finding something I could use on pump tracks, dirt jumps and at parks.

Team Chilidog!
    I was wondering if you jumped, Stripes.
    Yep, just started this year I can't tell you how much it's improved my riding. Not just with jumping, but with riding in general because you learn to react instead of think.

Is it a newer frame? How do you feel about the reach? I've been reading that it's recommended top tubes be shorter than what you would normally have for normal mtb use. Do you ever use it in parks? I was interested in finding something I could use on pump tracks, dirt jumps and at parks.
    Last year's frame, but relatively newer. Here is a picture of the entire build. Right now, I'm running a 32x16 gearing, but I want to run something smaller like 25x12 because it's easier to get up to speed with smaller gears (well, for me at least). I'm running a 28T chainring on my AM bike, and I really like thes smaller chainring.

The handlebar length is the same on all my bikes: 29". The other thing to know is I have small cockpits on both my AM and DJ.

DJ (top tube 574mm with 50mm stem with 29" bars)
    Name:  8447196358_93e0e13a15.jpg
Views: 5390
Size:  177.6 KB

AM (top tube is 567mm with 50mm stem and 29" bars):
    Name:  8718864777_b07363b1a8.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  172.3 KB

Even though the DJ is longer, it doesn't feel like it because the saddle is out of the way. I don't remember the exact stem length, but I'll double check tomorrow. So even though the top tube is longer on the DJ, I don't notice it at all because I'm never in the saddle and the handlebars are much higher than on my AM bike.

The funny thing is the DJ makes me feel like a freaking super hero. I've been able to do things, usually unexpectedly, that I only dream of:
    - Wheelied the bike. No, really-- was able to maintain a pedal wheelie for a good few seconds and surprised myself.
    - Manualed the bike. Came off a small jump at Calabazas and landed on the rear wheel. Front wheel didn't go down and I kept rolling. Scared the crap out of myself

One day, I'll be able to do some of this stuff intentionally and even try to roll the bigger jumps.

Here's a short video of me riding the kids/beginner/green section at the local BMX park, which is the reason I got it (BMX parks/pump tracks/urban). It was taken at the end of the day when I was tired, because I usually at least pop off a couple of the tables.

You'll also see I'm working on getting my body more upright when going off the jumps instead of absorbing them like I do on my AM bike. Let me know if you have issues with the video and I'll post the Flickr link.

Dudette
    LOL, that's right - I'd forgotten about that Yeti build - you posted it on the blinged-out rides thread. See, I *knew* someone on here was jumping .

What you've described are exactly the things I want to be able to do. I would blow a gasket if I could learn to wheelie/manual. The information about the cockpit is really helpful, too.

The video wasn't working for me, could you send the link?

Thanks!

Team Chilidog!
    LOL, that's right - I'd forgotten about that Yeti build - you posted it on the blinged-out rides thread. See, I *knew* someone on here was jumping .

What you've described are exactly the things I want to be able to do. I would blow a gasket if I could learn to wheelie/manual. The information about the cockpit is really helpful, too.

The video wasn't working for me, could you send the link?

Thanks!
    Oh, I still can't do those yet when I want to.. They're all completely unintentional. You'll see in the video why I want a smaller chainring (need new cranks for that). It's hard to start up fast, which is something I need to do at the BMX park:

IMG_1882 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Dudette
    Cool - that looks like a lot of fun! We need more stuff like that around here. There is a really nice dirt bmx track (indoors!) about an hour from me, but it's closed except for the races and practice sessions (and I can't find a practice schedule).

What type of gearing are you thinking about switching to? I have found a couple of frames I may be interested in and the Black Market Malice on sale one one site. It's available with a 21.5" TT.

Dudette
    Hmm, maybe something more like this to get me started? Wonder if I could put a little 80mm fork on there...

Specialized Bicycle Components

Dudette
    Hmm, maybe something more like this to get me started? Wonder if I could put a little 80mm fork on there...

Specialized Bicycle Components
    Or, maybe not. It doesn't look like it's suspension-corrected.

Team Chilidog!
    Cool - that looks like a lot of fun! We need more stuff like that around here. There is a really nice dirt bmx track (indoors!) about an hour from me, but it's closed except for the races and practice sessions (and I can't find a practice schedule).

What type of gearing are you thinking about switching to? I have found a couple of frames I may be interested in and the Black Market Malice on sale one one site. It's available with a 21.5" TT.
    Black Market makes awesome frames. I would go with something like that. It took me no time to figure out which 150mm bike I wanted. The DJ took 6 months of test rides. Go fig. I didn't try the Black Market until after I got my DJ, otherwise I would have picked up the Black Market. Definitely comparable to the Yeti.

I'm looking at going to a 25x12 for gearing. Even on my AM bike, I get up to sped much faster on the 28T than the 30T (I run a 1x10 setup). So I think my knees and body like the spinny gearing better.

mtbr member
    Definitely check out the Canfield DJ. Shortest rear end I can find that's not designed around 24 inch wheels. 22 inch horizontal/theoretical top tube that compares to some of the shortest DJ frames that have their actual top tube listed at 21.5, I think. All these dirt jump specific bikes have ridiculously low standover Heights. Nothing to worry about.