Single Speeder

Single Speed Crankset Size?

Hi all,

I'm building up a Single Speed Surly XS 1x1 for my daughter, and have been shopping for a SS crankset.

I run 180mm crank arms on my bike, but I'm 6'1".

What size crank arms are some of you single speedin' girls running? I've been shopping for 170mm cranks, but wanted a little feedback before I pulled the trigger.

I imagine she'll be about 5'4" ish when she's fully grown (that's a WAG, as she's only 4'5" at the moment...she's only 8...and I already know...this bike will probably be a paper weight for a bit ).
    "There's little traffic on the extra mile".

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Bike Sucks View Post
    Hi all,

I'm building up a Single Speed Surly XS 1x1 for my daughter, and have been shopping for a SS crankset.

I run 180mm crank arms on my bike, but I'm 6'1".

What size crank arms are some of you single speedin' girls running? I've been shopping for 170mm cranks, but wanted a little feedback before I pulled the trigger.

I imagine she'll be about 5'4" ish when she's fully grown (that's a WAG, as she's only 4'5" at the moment...she's only 8...and I already know...this bike will probably be a paper weight for a bit ).
    Great username

If you want, I have a set of Raceface Atlas AM cranks that were modded to run with a single chainring.

I'm 5'4" and run 175mm. I ran 170mm but that wasn't really the right size if you're somewhere in the median/average height.

PM me if you're interested.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm 5'3" and I run 175mm cranks as well. Mostly because they came on the bike and they seem to work ok. I run 170mm on my road bike, and used to use the same on my geared mtb, but I think the extra leverage of the longer cranks is handy on the ss.

pewpewpew Moderator
    Another vote for 175. I found the extra leverage on a SS important when compared to 170s.
    Love, Impy

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I agree 175mm is your best bet. I find that I get alot more rock strikes on my SS because of the lower BB. 175 is a good balance between leverage and clearance. I modified a set of xtr m-960 cranks for my SS. 490 grams.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Single Speeder
    Thanks for the replies...glad I didn't order a 160mm .

Raceface 175's on the way .

BTW, those are some pretty XTR's you got there .
    "There's little traffic on the extra mile".

Des(s)ert Rat
    I'm 5'4" on a tall day and I use 170 cranks on the singlespeed.