L1MEY

Sick of the forum sexism

Is anyone else sick and tired of the casual sexism that pervades this forum? Each and every time I have pointed it out I get the same old response: "lighten up", "chill out", "it was a joke"... blah, blah, blah.

This is why women don't feel included on forums... anything that's not the "women's area" is considered fair game for misogyny. I never get this attitude out on the trails. In person I'm another rider out enjoying the ride, so why is it not like that here? I come here to read about bikes and riding, not to be insulted and then told to chill when I call someone out on their BS.

Frankly, I could save myself a lot of irritation by just not reading the forums, but I'd then miss out on a lot of stuff that is genuinely interesting and engaging. Sorry for the rant, but in my opinion if we want inclusivity in mountain biking it needs to be on the web and in the media, as well as on the trail.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    - Jen.

bikes don't have motors
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig View Post
    Is anyone else sick and tired of the casual sexism that pervades this forum? Each and every time I have pointed it out I get the same old response: "lighten up", "chill out", "it was a joke"... blah, blah, blah.

This is why women don't feel included on forums... anything that's not the "women's area" is considered fair game for misogyny. I never get this attitude out on the trails. In person I'm another rider out enjoying the ride, so why is it not like that here? I come here to read about bikes and riding, not to be insulted and then told to chill when I call someone out on their BS.

Frankly, I could save myself a lot of irritation by just not reading the forums, but I'd then miss out on a lot of stuff that is genuinely interesting and engaging. Sorry for the rant, but in my opinion if we want inclusivity in mountain biking it needs to be on the web and in the media, as well as on the trail.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Bad post them. It's been addressed before but apparently the children need a reminder.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

always licking the glass

Sick of the forum sexism

It wonít change. I wish Gabrielle could bring back her awesome avatar. Makes such a great point. It was also fun to watch the guys whine about her avatar and I still see so much sexists ones out there.

I would love to start a womenís only MTB forum. Not sure how to 1) enforce that (Iíll need mods no way Iím doing this solo) and 2) capture the community thatís here. I donít need sponsors or ads: just support and enough people.

If I get enough interest I might give it a try. Iíve seen other womenís only forums, and tbh, theyíre not the same at all.

Iím open to ideas and suggestions or you can tell me to piss off
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

bikes don't have motors
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    It wonít change. I wish Gabrielle could bring back her awesome avatar. Makes such a great point. It was also fun to watch the guys whine about her avatar and I still see so much sexists ones out there.

I would love to start a womenís only MTB forum. Not sure how to 1) enforce that (Iíll need mods no way Iím doing this solo) and 2) capture the community thatís here. I donít need sponsors or ads: just support and enough people.

If I get enough interest I might give it a try. Iíve seen other womenís only forums, and tbh, theyíre not the same at all.

Iím open to ideas and suggestions or you can tell me to piss off

Stay here and make this board better. I always enjoy your content, it'd be a shame to lose it. My two cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Stay here and make this board better. I always enjoy your content, it'd be a shame to lose it. My two cents.
    Iíll stay here until they get rid of me. Iím not on fakebook and thereís enough fun people that Iím not going anywhere. Thank goodness for fun threads coming back.

I do agree there does need to be a less sexist place for women to talk about bikes. And Facebook isnít it.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

Cycologist
    I would hate to see the women leave. Diversity makes things interesting.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Thanks Chaz. Thereís good dudes like you here.

I do see the OPís point though. The sexism here is really frustrating, especially the non-blatant stuff and itís all acceptable.

It would be nice to see something done, but Iím not sure the best way to do it.

I used to be a mod here, and Iíd be happy to do that again, but it wouldnít help the sexism elsewhere on this forum.

That said, I still think fakebook is far worse.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

L1MEY
    Yes, it does! And I really enjoy reading this forum for the most part. The thing is, I don't need casual sexism in my life. I spend a fair amount of time browsing around here because i'm tied to a desk all day and I need a bit of an escape in between mundane tasks. I would rather not spend my time either turning the other cheek or pointing out what a d'bag someone is... I just want to read about bikes.

Just to be clear on what the problem is... it's casual sexism. Not blatant stuff that people get hit with the ban hammer for (like steelcalf)... that is bad but the mods do their job there. I'm talking offhand remarks about fat chicks, girlfriend bikes, hiding stuff from their wives, describing something as "tits". The very worst thing to be told when you call someone out for being offensive is that you don't have a sense of humour. I have a freaking great sense of humour thanks, I just don't find a-holes who hide behind a because they think it excuses their behaviour funny.

I think women's forums can work (The Ski Diva is an excellent example) but any time you slim down the pool of contributors you end up with less content, and content drives forums. Maybe from now on I'll start cross posting to the Women's MTB Experience forum.

If you're reading this and you're a guy, just consider for a second whether you'd say that thing you're about to post to your wife, sister, girlfriend or mother. If not, you probably shouldn't post it.
    - Jen.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    "If you're reading this and you're a guy, just consider for a second whether you'd say that thing you're about to post to your wife, sister, girlfriend or mother. If not, you probably shouldn't post it."

Unfortunately this is part of the problem. People do say things like this to each other, their kids, their wives, their husband, SOís, females included. Communication and respect via the internet, ugh. in real life I confront it, internet I ignore it. May not be the best approach, but I donít have energy to fix a troll.
    This is my first post in the womenís section in quite a while. Even positive things, I just stay away from. I have a busy enough life that if a section of my community needs their own forum I certainly donít take it as an insult, I get it. That said I certainly lurk and hope a lot of the female posters stay. Iím not sure some of you understand the positive impact you give this forum, much less comments or suggestions that I can pass on to other riders. I hate to even name a few, because there is many more than i can think of off the top of my head.
    Stripes, Lucy Juicy, MTBExplorer, Petey15 and my all-time favorite poster on this entire forum regardless of the subset...Cycleliscious. Her positive energy should be bottled. Many of you would be missed. Have a good weekend everyone, hope you can get your tires on the dirt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I've only just joined and then I read "..the children need a reminder." What a lame excuse that it's childish!?!?!?

Moderator Moderator
    I have to agree there is some bad sexist stuff out there. I have mostly spent time on the commuter, women's and maybe the dog passion page lately, so I have not seen as much of it lately. The commuter forum I find very woman friendly even though there are not many women on it; part of it is that it is small and many of the contributors feel like they know one another. I don't have enough negative energy to run around policing the whole MTBR forum, but I will point it out where offensive. I think you can have a positive influence and get at least some supporters if you hang in a particular subforum enough, though I think that is harder in the larger ones. Just more participation from women would also help. I do love when I get a "thanks bro" or something like that, and someone else points out to them that mtbx is not a bro. A lot of participants assume it is all guys on here. I have seen some womens forums elsewhere, maybe Terry Bikes or one of the womens bike clothes sites. Not a forum, but Bike Shop Girl on FB has some good stuff. Other places to visit can add some balance, throw in your suggestions if you have any.

mtbr member
    Agreed. There are some great and amazing women athletes in this sport from the World Cup down to the local trails. I personally love watching the womenís WC races as the field and passion shown exceed that of the menís.

I personally have no clue of the sexism on the board as a whole; Iím pretty specific on the threads I dive into, so that probably keeps me out of the loop. That said, you gals have a lot to offer so stick with it! Personally I browse here in hopes of having some insight should my wife decide to join me one day in riding. That Iíll have to pray happens but Iíll keep with it!

mtbr member
    Would you quit with the "fakebook" crap? Some of us do use Facebook and find it a valid and useful way to keep up with friends and organizations of interest. As in all things, it is how you use it that matters. Funny that a thread calling for "inclusivity" on a social network (forum) casually insults people who use other social networks. Pot, meet kettle?
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

always licking the glass

Sick of the forum sexism

Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    Would you quit with the "fakebook" crap? Some of us do use Facebook and find it a valid and useful way to keep up with friends and organizations of interest. As in all things, it is how you use it that matters. Funny that a thread calling for "inclusivity" on a social network (forum) casually insults people who use other social networks. Pot, meet kettle?
    No. Neg rep me or kick me out of the WL. I donít care.

I hate Facebook. Many people here do. At the same time, many people like it for the same reasons you do. Whatever.

Iím entitled to my opinion.

So go ahead and keep derailing this thread. Iím sure the OP would appreciate that. /sarcasm

EDITED: not to derail thread.
    Last edited by stripes; 16 Hours Ago at 05:42 PM.
    Writer, MTB4Her.