View Poll Results: Should we respond to sexist posts on MTBR?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

18 45.00%
  • No

6 15.00%
  • Sometimes

16 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Moderator

Should We Respond to Woman-Unfriendly Posts on MTBR?

Vote in the poll & discuss

Moderator Moderator
    I used to ignore them, not wanting to give them even negative attention, or hoping a male poster might find it offensive. But that got old. I've had mixed results. The first time, I was able to incorporate humor, and got zero negative replies and zero negative feedback, one positive reply, and zero word from the o.s.p. (original sexist poster). The second time I did not incorporate humur, but kept it simple (not a lecture). The jury is still out, but so far one reply supporting the o.s.p.

Update: Ha! Anon neg rep received "Cry baby"
    Last edited by mtbxplorer; 05-22-2012 at 07:32 PM. Reason: update

MTB B'dos
    I'm subscribed to this as I'm very curious - What's a "woman unfriendly" post ? (please give an example)
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moderator Moderator
    Stuff like this (today)...

Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    It's the best when they sit in the middle of the trail, deepthroating their footlongers.
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    At least most of their women look good in the official team uniforms. I love "Canadian Bacon".

AZ
    banned
    Call em out, no place on this board for demeaning sexist comments imo. Sorry for interloping, I'll leave now.

It's about showing up.
    I'll leave too but, yeah.
    I don't rattle.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Wow, I need to get out of the WL more. That's pretty nauseating. What forums were those in?

We could make comments, and then they'd come here, and then the gals could stomp them with tampax posts.

But seriously? It could be worth pursuing just to keep all parts of the board welcoming to the whole mtb population. Females shouldn't have to stay here in order to not be subjected to male asshattery like that. I find the the little "report post" button pretty handy if I don't feel like making a statement. I think in the big picture, it comes down to what admin feels is acceptable. If admin thinks it's acceptable, all the complaining in the world isn't going to change anything. However if it isn't, but no one has said anything... that's different situation.

MTB B'dos
    Ah, OK Most definitely use that little "Report Post" button under the username, as I don't think that's something the Mods Would tolerate. Thought you were talking more along the lines of women can't.... and such type, not flat out childish vulgarity.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    It's the best when they sit in the middle of the trail, deepthroating their footlongers.
    Originally Posted by epic View Post
    At least most of their women look good in the official team uniforms. I love "Canadian Bacon".
    Last edited by LyNx; 05-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Wow, I need to get out of the WL more. That's pretty nauseating. What forums were those in?
    It was on a regional forum...
    KT & our Neighbors to the North....

The previous time was on fatbikes, but of course it was OT, so I don't remember which thread.

Bored Carp
    Just report 'em. Francis doesn't tolerate this stuff. Negative rep from multiple people will get them banned, too.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Ugh, really? I only check out a couple of forums so I haven't seen that stuff.

I used to get all defensive on the dirt bike forums and I just never got anywhere. You're not going to change their minds. So sure I gave up, but I guess it was better than wasting my time arguing with morons.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrackerktm View Post
    Ugh, really? I only check out a couple of forums so I haven't seen that stuff.

I used to get all defensive on the dirt bike forums and I just never got anywhere. You're not going to change their minds. So sure I gave up, but I guess it was better than wasting my time arguing with morons.

You don't have to argue. Like Chuky said, if they know about it ( report post button) it's not tolerated here.
    Mods don't read every single post in every single thread in every single forum. Many times, unless someone brings something to their attention, it may go unnoticed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Whether or not the post gets removed, however, I find it depressing that they'd even say that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm a long time lurker, & this is my first post.

I run a forum for a different group of enthusiasts, but it's similar in size & activity. The mods not only don't have time to read every post, they likely have very little time to read many at all. It's up to the community in places like this to report things like this. Sure they'll remove it if they see it, but the likelihood is very high that they won't. Just report it & move along. Guys that like to get down in the mud & take shots like that aren't worth getting down in the mud with. Kind of like the old saying that even if you win a p!ssing contest, you're still covered in urine. It's sooooooo not worth your time.

Moderator Moderator
    I guess this is my personality coming out, but I'm more inclined to confront a bully than report them (good there is that option though). Neither approach is necessarily successful on any given individual, but I hold out some hope that the community improves over time when people are willing to speak out against bad stuff. Maybe someone else will reconsider posting something similarly offensive. Or maybe they will just think I am a b****h with no sense of humor, but I can live with that.

Bored Carp
    For me, it just has to do with patience. Jerks are boring, I would rather sift them out. I run a couple of online communities (50K + participants) and have found that some folks just really want to be angry and mean. Trying to stop it is a waste of my brain space and just gives them the attention they are craving.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

rather be riding
    For those that feel it's a waste of time/not worth it to report it/respond to it, that is your choice. I do think the minimal effort required to simply hit the 'report post' -- whether or not it gets taken down, is worthwhile and will could result in more moderation of sexist commentary -- if enough people do this simple thing.

Though I understand it's not healthy to let such comments get to me, I do feel a need to be somewhat proactive when it comes to sexism, here or anywhere. Otherwise we are complicit and essentially saying that disrespecting women is normal and acceptable.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I notice the "footlong" orignal post has been taken down.

workin' it Administrator
    yes and report them when you do see them.

same with threads where the poster uses gay to describe something or calls someone a phaggot. No tolerance for bigoted responses no matter the vein. Hate is hate no matter how you paint it.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 05-24-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: quoted myself instead of editing.
    Try this: HTFU

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    make a thread where you can list the offensive posts, and then have people go neg rep them.

rather be riding

Good job!

same with threads where the poster uses gay to describe something or calls someone a phaggot. No tolerance for bigoted responses no matter the vein. Hate is hate no matter how you paint it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you!

mtbr member
    I looked at this thread thinking "are there really sexist comments around here? Apparently there are. I then went to the beer forum where this was just posted:

Ultimately, I think beer is better served with cans. Preferably topless.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrackerktm View Post
    Whether or not the post gets removed, however, I find it depressing that they'd even say that.
    Unfortunately, sexism exists everywhere. It's how it's handled that's important. Knowing Francois, I don't think he's going to tolerate it so report it.

The worst part is the anonymous rep part--people can make comments there and you can't reply or defend yourself if someone makes a sexist comment there. Long live the 21st Keyboard Brigade . As long as people are behind a keyboard, they're going to say what they want with no repercussions. Most people are too chicken to say this stuff to your face--and it's worse when it can be said anonymously.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Unfortunately, sexism exists everywhere. It's how it's handled that's important. Knowing Francois, I don't think he's going to tolerate it so report it.

The worst part is the anonymous rep part--people can make comments there and you can't reply or defend yourself if someone makes a sexist comment there. Long live the 21st Keyboard Brigade . As long as people are behind a keyboard, they're going to say what they want with no repercussions. Most people are too chicken to say this stuff to your face--and it's worse when it can be said anonymously.
    I find the a misogynistic person will have a history of that. If they leave you degrading or insulting rep notify a moderator or supermoderator. They can look into it and generally when i look into things i also look at the person's post history in general. A lot of times this directs me to give them a warning regarding how they handle themselves in grown up world and it can also result in time outs or outright banning depending on the severity of how far away from putting on the big boy pants they are.

The tools are at your disposal, don't be afraid to use them!
    Try this: HTFU

official eMpTyBRain
    While I agree that this sort of thing should not be tolerated here, the truth is that outside this forum in the open world, girls and guys are equally guilty of such actions.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast