Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shoe reviews (for flat pedals)

20K views 77 replies 26 participants last post by  mtbxplorer 
#1 ·
Late last year I switched to flat pedals, and have been trying to find appropriate shoes. I've been wearing a pair of old trail runners, which stick to the pedals pretty well, but they have a wide base and I couldn't really put my feet where I wanted to on my pedals. (DMR V8s, which I intend to replace, but that's another issue.) The various 5.10 offerings do not fit me at all; they are too wide and my feet slosh around in them.

First shoes I tried were the Scarpa Gecko Guide Ws. They had a tread pattern similar to the 5.10s: https://a1.zassets.com/images/z/1/3/6/1367826-p-DETAILED.jpg It's a Vibram sole, though, not the sticky 5.10 rubber. It's pretty hard and kind of slick. I threw them back.

Next stop: the Vans store. Where they had no actual womens' skate shoes, only "lifestyle" shoes. As in, not going to hold up to the rigors of mtb. Especially on my crashy feet. So, for S&G, I tried on a few pairs of mens' shoes.

I picked up with a pair of Dockets. They are last year's model, and were on sale for $40 or so.

Since the Vans site doesn't show the tread, here's a photo (pardon the dust, was riding in Bend all weekend) (yeah, I know, sucks to be me):

Despite this being a "men's" shoe, it fits me pretty well. I'm not saying I want to run a marathon in them or anything, but they're certainly suitable for riding. I've worn them for a grand total of 8 or 9 hours (2 rides) so far.

Pros:
- price
- fit
- stick like mad to the pedals (keep in mind I'm only doing small jumps and then only if I'm forced) (though I did clear my first little itty-bitty double over the weekend)
- good padding around the ankles

Cons:
- lacing is weird, it's too high-friction or something & it's hard to get the shoes snug
- these are going to be h-o-t in August
- stuff (pine needles, etc) gets down the collar and into my socks
- your friends yell "off the WALL!" every time you successfully ride a stunt or trail feature

HTH those of you looking for alternatives to the 5.10s.

gabrielle

See less See more
#3 ·
Keen Newports

I'm in the tropics, and these have been my standard riding shoe for years, worn out one pair, and almost through another. You can hose them down at the end of the day, no need for socks, comfy on and off the bike, and really sturdy. Great for wide feet, which I have

#4 ·
Hi Gabrielle.

I wear Merrell's Avian Light Ventilator. I have a narrow foot & they fit very well, & stick to the pedals well (I run flat pedals too). Might want to check them out, it's a smaller profile than most skate or bike specific shoes (especially the women's version).

BTW, where were you riding? I live in Bend, & was riding Mrazek last weekend.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Right now I have a set of DMR V8s in the sexy, sexy 'oxblood' color. They are heavy, not wide enough (!!!), and too thick. I bang them on rocks constantly.

My current wishlist for replacements:
- HT AN01s if I can find some on the Bay of E.
- Canfield Bros crampons. I think Connie recommended these a while back. I'm waiting for the new ones to come out; should be any day now.
- Point One Podiums

gabrielle

#7 ·
I was using the 5-10 guide tennies for a while (before buying impacts). only a tad less sticky than the impacts, but i hear ya, i have narrow feet and the impacts feel huge. I ride both flats and clipless, but was using the tennies for a long time (they come in womens sizes) my only issue was, for the longer rides, you might not find the tennies to be stiff enough. Being a hiking shoe, i'd say they're stiffer than a running sneaker, but not as stiff as a mtb shoe. Still a good option though.

#10 ·
Pedals for the DJ: Animal Hamilton red sealed bearing metal
Animal Bikes : Shop
That's a pretty good price point on those. I'm kind of choking on the whole "I might actually pay over $100 for some pedals" thing.

gabrielle

#16 ·
Deity Decoy pedals on the MTB (skinny, sturdy, I've knocked off some pins, but was able to replace them). Fyxations (nylon) on the fatbike, figured my feet would be warmer than on metal pedals for snowbiking. Happy with them, plenty grippy which I wasn't sure they would be, really light, inexpensive, but I can't tell you how they hold up on rocks.

If 5.10's do work for you, a sale at shoes MTB | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com now. Discount depends on model, 13-40% off. Have had my Impact highs for 2+ years, love them, had to by another pair at 39% off.

Edit - I see they have other brands on sale too, same link.

#23 ·
If your [replaceable] pedal pins are too short or long, take one out and go to the hardware store and find the set screws. At Aubuchon around here you can buy them by the piece. Make sure you match the thread count (how tight together the screw's spirals are) and the diameter, and then pick the length you want.

If you can't get the old ones out with a hex wrench, just grab them with a vice-grips and unscrew.

I think some of the pricier pedals seem more bIing than performance, and also consider that a less beefy pedal is appropriate if you are not downhilling, freeriding, or 200 lbs.

#25 ·
Pedals used to be $100 for a good pair of flat pedals, but it hasn't been that way for a long time.
Speaking of "budget", check these out: Untitled Document

...the current object of my bike desire... :sigh:

gabrielle

#28 ·
I am using VP all- purpose flats, which I like a lot. I have no trouble finding sharp things upon which to impale my lower legs, pins or no pins :D.

I'm wearing a paint of Garmont hiking shoes because I live a long way from any shopping opportunities and shopping is Not Fun in my book. Maybe next winter...

#30 ·
I have 510 impacts, perfect for my fat feet. Also bought a pair of 510 freeriders same size but they were narrower and hurt my feet, hardly ever wore them. Then I decided to put them on and just walk around in them for a day, seems to have stretched them out and I love em now. Much lighter weight, better for summer than the impacts.

#31 ·
I just put my flats on my bike this weekend. In fear of turning my shins into "shinburgers" I have been using kneepads until I get used to the pedals. I felt invincible. I rode everything. I am using my trail running shoes for right now. I am sure as I continue to ride with them I will have to find something more suitable. I love reading these forums and getting some ideas of what would work best for me.

#32 ·
Ugh; I'm really struggling with the clipless versus flats decision. It's clear I need a better connection to my pedals, but I just can't seem to make a decision. I've long used clipless with no difficulty on my road bike, but I've not been terribly eager to try them on my mtb. If I could just find a pair of shoes that are likely to fit, I'd lean more heavily toward flats. I wear a 7.5 in street shoes and an 8-8.5 in most athletic shoes. I have a relatively narrow forefoot and an extremely narrow heel. Something tells me that neither the Karver nor Impact Five Tens will work. Any other suggestions?

#34 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, Nicole. I have considered the Guide Tennies and wondered if they were my best option. I've otherwise been wearing Vasque hikers on my mtb, and wore them, without difficulty, during a three-day White Rim tour this past April so I don't know that a hiking (versus a cycling) shoe would bother me in terms of stiffness. The smallest size in the Freeride is a men's six. That might work, but I tend to think it'll be too wide in the heel.

#35 ·
stiffness helps push more power and prevent some foot aching, but honestly, its not the biggest deal in the world. if your feet dont ache, then you're probably fine. i swap back and forth clipped (almost all clipped right now, but i ride slow technical stuff better in flats) but i happen to have the Impacts. They are a bit wide and bulky, but they are so padded in the inside that it may work for you. Those go down to a size 5 mens (i wear a 6.5 ladies, so it fits).

#36 ·
I'm just about to pull the trigger on some Five Ten Guide Tennies from Zappos. I hope they fit. DH wants me to try some BMX pedals that he has on another bike before I pull the trigger on some new pedals. We'll see.

Yesterday, I popped into REI and one of Indy's bike shops. I tried on Shimano, Giro, PI, and Bontrager shoes and none fit to my liking. The Giro's probably came the closest, but the shoe's tongue was horribly stiff and uncomfortable. The rest were too wide in the heel. There are still a few brands I haven't had a chance to try or try recently, but even if I wanted to go clipless, shoes are going to be an issue. I liked the Bontragers, too, but as the salesperson was pressuring me for a sale, all I could think of is "I don't really want to go clipless just yet (or ever)."

So, hopefully the Five Tens work! I have my eye on a handful of pedals. Straightline AMPs are the top of the list currently. There are so many from which to choose; it's taking me a while to develop a short list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.