Don't worry, be happy!

Shin pads (again?)

Ok gals, just wondering who's using what. I'm an XC rider with flats, and just want to not gouge my shins up. I don't neeed a full DH knee/shin combo. Anyone using either of these? Mens S fit a small woman?

I"m considering :
    POC shin pads
    Name:  PG9099.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  15.6 KB

or maybe these G form ones
    Shin pads (again?)-gformshinpads011219ab481fc61aef3bf2ab781b413f.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    I have the G-forms, but to be honest I've only used them a couple times, so I can't really say how great or not-great they are. Their big plus is they come in a lot of sizes (use a sewing tape). Their big minus is you have to take off your shoes to put them on/off since they are basically a lycra sleeve with padding, so you're (well I'm) unlikely to put them on just to try a tough section, even though they are really compact to carry. If you get more than one g-form product, like elbow pads and shin pads, get one of each color (yellow or black when I got them), and they will be easier to pair up or grab the correct ones out of a drawer. I got all black and it takes an extra minute to make sure you have 2 elbow pads. I've used them more in winter to protect from a wipeout on ice, and they are great for that.

Dudette
    I just use soccer shin guards. Cheap and easy. I get the ones with stirrups which also have the ankle protectors on the side, but like the ones mtbexplorer mentioned, you need to remove your shoes to put them on and take them off. They make others that velcro at the top and bottom, too and you wouldn't need to remove your shoes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I have the G-forms, but to be honest I've only used them a couple times, so I can't really say how great or not-great they are. Their big plus is they come in a lot of sizes (use a sewing tape). Their big minus is you have to take off your shoes to put them on/off since they are basically a lycra sleeve with padding, so you're (well I'm) unlikely to put them on just to try a tough section, even though they are really compact to carry. If you get more than one g-form product, like elbow pads and shin pads, get one of each color (yellow or black when I got them), and they will be easier to pair up or grab the correct ones out of a drawer. I got all black and it takes an extra minute to make sure you have 2 elbow pads. I've used them more in winter to protect from a wipeout on ice, and they are great for that.
    I've used the G-Form for a couple of years now, & all of this is true. The only thing that I don't see mentioned is how comfortable they are. I wore skate style shin guards prior (similar to soccer shin guards) & I found them to be bulky, hot & somewhat uncomfortable. For me since I ride flats, I wear these on every ride, regardless of terrain or weather.

Don't worry, be happy!
    So you like the g forms then, comfy?
    I have a birthday coming up. and my son always asks what I would like. In the mean time Big 5 had some pink shinguards on sale for $7.99, what's not to love about those?

Don't worry, be happy!

Shin pads (again?)

Got my box from Competitive Cyclist yesterday. I had ordered one set of G-Forms and one set of the POC pads, to try on and return whichever ones I didn't like.
    The G-Forms seems like just the ticket as they aren't too heavy. Covering the lower leg fully seems like it might get hot though. Here's the thing- I wore them for one hour while messing around on bike bike in the street, and already the stitching is coming out and the "protective" polymer (or whatever it is) has a chunk out of it. For a product that designed to be worn with flats, mountain biking, I'm not too impressed. For $49, it doesn't look like I'd get one season out of them. I'm kind of bummed.

The POC pad are bulky which is kind of a turn off, but they are light. It looks like the end of the Velcro strap could snag if you slip odd the pedal, and I'm not so sure about that, either.

Keep looking, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    +1 for POC. my wife uses them. comfy and protective ... and durable.