mtbr member

The Right FS Bike For My Wife

Greetings Ladies,

My wife currently rides a hardtail 29er. I just took my wife to Snowshoe Mountain in. WV. She is a beginner rider, but has picked up this sport very fast. Before hitting the downhill trails at Snowshoe, she would walk the bike down any "steep" areas. We took a class together at the mountain and rented her a DH FS bike. Now she's hooked and has lost her fear of downhill areas. Therefore I want to get her a new FS bike.

I have done some research on the forum and other publications, but I would love to get some more feedback from the ladies on this Forum. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions as to which bikes I should consider to get her. I know I have to get her to some LBS', and I will be doing that in the next few weeks.

My first thought is the Santa Cruz Juliana Primeiro. I would like to get her a 650b and that seems to be the only female 650b bike. I am probably wrong, hense my post. I would also like to stay sub $6k. She does not want a dedicated DH bike, but more of an all mountain style bike.

Thank you in advance for your help.

- Tom
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

Don't worry, be happy!
    Are you picking it out for her, or is she going to make the final decision? My advice is to try as many bike as you/she can find that are her size - the old "we can make it work with a longer/shorter whatever" does not work very well. You/she might want to narrow it down to a range of how much travel is appropriate to help in the selection process. Full Suspension covers a lot of territory these day from XC bikes to 6" travel all mountain monsters. Certainly, don't be limited by wheel size. 650b is the hot new thing, but that doesnt' mean that it's going to stick around or that everyone will love it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The one she want to ride,how did the 29er get picked? What does /doesn't she like about it? Test ride ,rent ,demo ,borrow bikes.

mtbr member
    Don't just look at women's bikes. You didn't mention your wife's height or inseam, so that might be why you're looking at a WSD. But keep an open mind and have her try any and every bike that your LBS has in her size. Definitely don't get sucked into the wheel-size hype. She needs to see what feels best and try each one. I also have a 29er hardtail, but went with a 26" FS. It just felt better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    If you are considering the SC Juliana Primeiro, I would recommend the SC Bronson or Solo over the women's specific version. I do not know this for sure, but believe the Solo is the same frame with some "women's specific" components. I am all for WSD, but if there are more options in a version that isn't labeled "women's" I would definitely check those out too. The Solo and Bronson come in many more build options. I just got my Bronson and LOVE it. I'm 5'4" on a good day, and I've ridden all of the wheel sizes. 650b is just my perfect match. That being said, the best advice anyone will give you is demo, demo, demo. It's the only way to know what will match her personal preference and riding style.

mtbr member
    And just for reference, I'm on an XS Pivot Mach 5.7c.

mtbr member
    I appreciate all the feedback from everyone. We are going to try and make it out to some LBS' in the next couple of weeks to demo some bikes.
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

Slothful dirt hippie
    Your avatar gives it away. Ibis FTW!

(I have a 2009 Ibis Mojo that I love so dearly, it might just be the perfect weapon ever invented for the all-day death-climb back country chunderfest we seem to have in abundance locally... YMMV)
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Your avatar gives it away. Ibis FTW!

(I have a 2009 Ibis Mojo that I love so dearly, it might just be the perfect weapon ever invented for the all-day death-climb back country chunderfest we seem to have in abundance locally... YMMV)
    This. Just got a Mojo HD and LOOOVE it

They're a bit on the smaller side, which is perfect for throwing around.

HOWEVER, you're better off having her test ride than telling her what she wants
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    $6,000 is custom territory, no?

That's the way to go.

mtbr member
    The Right FS Bike For My Wife-image.jpg

Tom,

I highly recommend the 2013 trek lush carbon. It is light, has an incredible suspension, and is super fun to ride. I just upgraded from an 08 specialized fsr expert. There is a huge difference in the performance. I customized the bike quite a bit, but even out of the gate, it was awesome! For me, standover height and a solid suspension were very important. I tried to steer clear of wsd bikes, thinking they were inferior, but now I see how wrong I was! Best bike I ever rode! Good luck in your search!