Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Chilidog!

Riding goals for 2014

Yep, it's that time of year What's your riding goals for 2014?

First, what I did for 2013:

• Got a bike that fits and got faster.
    • Riding more technical faster.
    • Climbing faster.

I still suck at left-falling ledges. Not sure when that will get fixed. Prolly will be a lifetime thing.

So this year:

• Jump higher and further. Need to lose weight to do this--fat people don't go as high. Ideally I'd like to lose 40-50 lbs this year, but that's a pretty tall order. Still, 190-195lb on a 5'5" frame isn't ideal, no mater how strong I am.
    • Riding longer (distance and timewise) regularly. Doing 10-12 miles in 2.5 hours including stops. Want to do 15-20 miles regularly, but need to build up.
    • Ride steeper stuff better (particularly on the downhill). For those local, that means more Demo (and Braille trail) and hopefully more Tahoe.
    • Log crossings, especially multi-log. Gawd, I suck at these, and I think it's a visual thing. Little logs, no problem, but the bigger ones and multi-log piles still get into my head.

Yer turn
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    2013:
    -Survived 4 months of trainer boredom in a tent in Afghanistan!
    -Managed to get back into mountain bike shape despite the summer desert temps
    -Built up my first complete bike (minus cutting the fork and placing the star nut- it was already down)

2014:
    Do my first bikepacking ride/race... I better start doing some "loaded" rides!

Dudette

* Went downhilling for the first time and loved it!
    * Worked on my fear of bridges and rode across several while at KT in Vermont.
    * Finally started to work on drops and jumping.

Goals for 2014

* Continue and build on what I started in 2013, especially drops and jumping (wow, now I finally get why it's so much fun!)

* Work on cornering. I'm thinking going to an indoor bike park is in order or pump track. Closest is about 90 minutes away.

* Still want to learn how to track stand, wheelie and manual. Planning on working on track stands this winter.
    MTB4Her.com

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    I fulfilled last year's goal of "eat more".

This year:
    - make it up the first hill at Brown's Camp (semi-local-to-Portland trail) without having to push
    - recover my logover ability, which I seem to have lost somewhere along the line. I'm not sure how to make this into a "SMART" goal

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Moderator Moderator
    Considering a full squish for 2014 after 15 years on the softtail. If nothing else it is providing some winter windowshopping entertainment.

More riding with the dog I adopted in July - he is still not ready for prime time, but some progress on the deerrunning/herding problem (he brought one back and I had to jump behind a tree; dang if he didn't bring it back again 10 minutes later).

Ride more trails, we have so many it is hard to keep up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1. Working on cornering with speed abilities
    2. Have a good race season, get my Cat 1 upgrade in July, and podium at Nationals
    3. Maybe get a hard tail... because one cannot own too many bikes!
    4. Go mountain biking on the cross bike
    5. Maybe, just maybe, try a downhill park
    6. Get more comfortable with left side exposure (don't think that'll happen)

mtbr member
    Here at the end of 2013 I am finally healthy and injury free and able to ride mostly pain free.

My 2014 goal is to stay healthy and injury free.

And the San Juan Huts Durango to Moab ride has risen to the top of my to do list for this summer.
    "My daughter says I shouldn't dance like this, but I'm going to anyway!" Toni Price, Hippy Hour, 11/21

Gnarly
    I got through the year without breaking any bones.
    However I did manage to crack my dh frame. My replacement bike is a fast beauty!
    I took every opportunity to improve my technical skills. I learned how to do bigger log-overs, gained confidence riding skinnies, did my first gap jump and advanced to bigger gappers (all on platforms)
    I did my first dh race and finished respectably.

My husband and I have a biking trip planned for September. So my goal is to build more strength and stamina
    Practice practice practice my technical skills on the advanced dh trails at the local bike park
    I need to work on my drops
    I love the feeling of being airborne and will continue to work on my landings
    I might enter another race
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am new to riding trails so my riding goal for 2014 is to get stronger for the climbs and get more comfortable on the bike. I am starting this new adventure now that I am in my 40's so it has been an adjustment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    2014 Goals
    - resolve my back issues that have been haunting me since training for Leadville last year
    - lean up about 10lbs by race season
    - get over my fear of technical climbing, especially large rocks
    - ride more at the BMX track/downhill parks
    - finish Breck Epic with a smile on my face!

Slothful dirt hippie
    2013 review:
    - I rode a lot, but not enough. Never, ever enough.....
    - Theme of the 2013 season was "smooth". I accepted where I was in terms of speed, climbing, endurance, skills, etc, I just wanted to do everything I was already doing smoother and more relaxed. I did make some progress on that, which of course resulted in doing almost everything faster and better and bigger than I had before. Go figure.
    - Ended up doing a fair amount of bikepacking, which was most excellent. Highlight of the season was my 2 night/3 day solo run.

2014 goals:
    - Ride moar. Always. But this year I'm threatening to actually take some days off work with the specific goal of nailing some bigger local stuff.
    - Bikepacking moar. I have a couple ideas, but ultimately sleeping in the woods away from everyone is sufficient reward.
    - Trim another #10 down pre-season... although I'm riding regardless.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Nice bikepacking report!

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ Nice bikepacking report!
    Thanks. EVERYONE should try bikepacking at least once! Riding your bike in one direction until the sun is low in the sky, knowing that you don't have to get back to the truck/civilization and have everything to throw down wherever you like.. it's a singular, lovely experience.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hi Everyone,

First time on this site and first time posting....love the thread! So inspiring!

2013: Kept riding after breaking up with my riding buddy. Found new friends and maintained my skills.

2014: Thinking about Boggs Enduro in May (1st time for me) and then Mountain Bike Oregon festival in July.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Thanks. EVERYONE should try bikepacking at least once! Riding your bike in one direction until the sun is low in the sky, knowing that you don't have to get back to the truck/civilization and have everything to throw down wherever you like.. it's a singular, lovely experience.
    ^ This! I have to give this a try this summer - my idea of a perfect vacation.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    For 2014 I would like to complete the Gunnison Half-Growler with a better time than last year.

Also plan to work on getting the new trail dog up to speed. Though her first b'day isn't until August 2014, so we'll probably be working on hiking etiquette for most of the summer...

Will try to insert photo, but bear with me, I've never once posted a pic on MTBR. We'll see how this goes.

Riding goals for 2014-img_8459.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding goals for 2014-img_8516.jpg  

Riding goals for 2014-img_8572.jpg  

I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    ^ This! I have to give this a try this summer - my idea of a perfect vacation.
    I've done two 8-10 day bike trips and they were great! Mine were more of a hybrid, not straight up bikepacking.

In the first I pedaled around Baxter state park in ME (where the Appalachian trail ends). Bikes are only allowed on the dirt 15mph perimeter road, not the trails, but stayed at a different campground every night and did side hiking/swimming trips. Also brought the kayak, stayed on an island the first 2 nights and the last night (it stayed on the parked car the rest of the time).

My second trip I explored new VT bike trails, but to get to them I pedaled with my camping stuff and then left most of that weight at the campsite to go explore the trails light-weighted for the day. Then off to the next camping/trail destination with my stuff. It was a big loop around the state, so the car stayed home the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    Also plan to work on getting the new trail dog up to speed. Though her first b'day isn't until August 2014, so we'll probably be working on hiking etiquette for most of the summer...

Will try to insert photo, but bear with me, I've never once posted a pic on MTBR. We'll see how this goes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8459.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	860541
    Good looking dog, I am still breaking my traildog as well (adopted in July) - good luck and have fun!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    For 2014 I would like to complete the Gunnison Half-Growler with a better time than last year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8459.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	860541
    ^^^Cute pup MtbrRN!! I have a Border Collie and he loves it! Can't train the herding out of him tho so I can only bring him when the trails aren't super crowded!

2013 was a bit of a drag so I will be spending most of 2014 getting back in routine--

Goals for 2014
    *Going back to a HT-- my own opinion--I feel I get sloppy on a FS
    *Berms, rock gardens and better at picking lines
    *Uphill anything! Work on a stronger core and stronger legs
    *More time with my trail Pup

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For 2014:
    #1 goal is to consistently ride over roots when on a downhill and especially on corners, I'm tired of getting off my bike and walking.

#2 goal is to learn drops.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2013- Nothing exciting... Recovered from an ACL reconstruction but it really didn't effect my riding by the way I timed the whole thing (accidently of course..). I was sucking some serious wind at first riding because I was so out of shape from recovery (I gained 13lbs). I started hitting up the gym in July and fine by September, just in time for my favorite riding time of the year. I was actually enjoying riding uphill! By the end of the DH season I was really cranking through the corners/berms, huge improvements there. My Dh riding improved all around. Pretty proud I didn't miss a beat with my knee.

2014- I joined Title back a few months and I'm in MUCH better shape (snowboarding season and all). I still need to lose a substantial amount of weight (story of my life). I want to get in better shape and ride trail harder next year. Spend more time at KT and other VT trails. I have a DH goal of hitting the rock drop at the end of Threshhold and the two wooden drops on Bonesaw. Also visit some DH places I've never been to; Plattekill, Bromont, etc...I also want to clean clear the intermediate line of the dirt jumps in Sherwood forest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mine are simple:

2013 - I didn't ride as much as I planned or wanted to.

2014 - I want to ride more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tonicspark View Post
    *Going back to a HT-- my own opinion--I feel I get sloppy on a FS
    I'm starting to feel the same way! I just monster truck over things instead of choosing lines. Plus the races I do are a good split of rocky/technical where FS is good, and smooth/buff single track with climbing so I'm thinking a hard tail to get back some line selection skills and to be even faster during non techy climbing races

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I started to ride a bicycle in order to lose weight
    In 2014 to carry out
    Music is the medicine of the breaking heart Tmart

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I'm starting to feel the same way! I just monster truck over things instead of choosing lines. Plus the races I do are a good split of rocky/technical where FS is good, and smooth/buff single track with climbing so I'm thinking a hard tail to get back some line selection skills and to be even faster during non techy climbing races
    Either way it's an upgrade for me from my old FS so I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I tried to go back to a trail hardtail a few years ago for the same reasons. Unfortunately, it just beat me up too much and I didn't end up riding it that much

Jump ahead to last year: I got a hardtail DJ. Now that is a fun bike! I don't feel like I'm cheating on my full suspenssion I threw a lot of money into that's now collecting dust. Instead, I get on the BMX track and found a different type of riding.

The DJ has helped me pick better lines so I'm not riding "plow" or "monster truck" style over everything. So if you're thinking of getting a hardtail, definitely check out a DJ (yes, even for the trail) over an XC hardtail (unless that's your kind of thing).
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast