Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding Goals for 2013

11K views 85 replies 34 participants last post by  miatagal96 
G
#1 ·
This was fun to do last year, so let's give it another go for this year :thumbsup:

My riding goals for 2013 are:
- Improving cornering (particularly not lose speed)
- Laying off the brakes on steep and technical downhills
- Ride more technical trails

Today was my last ride of 2012. What I noticed improved:
- Riding trails that fall to the left still aren't fast but aren't as scary
- Much faster downhill, but not as fast as I'd like
- Was able to ride a fast steep long downhill that was a mental block

What helped me was riding with a more positive riding group, riding with youngins because they are much more fun :), and getting some mental help on why I was getting mental blocks. The other things that helped me with my mental blocks was having falls that didn't leave anything other than some scrapes,and in today's case, some sand in uncomfortable places like in the knee pads.

What about you? What were your successes this year and goals for next? :D

See less See more
#30 · (Edited)
I'm looking forward to riding in 2013. I've still got about 11 more weeks of cooking this kid then I (mostly) get my body back all to myself. ;) I've done a good job of maintaining my fitness throughout my pregnancy but haven't been riding really technical trail in a while. So I'm sure I'll have to do a little work getting my cajones back.

My main goal for 2013 is do some sort of endurance race in the fall after my hubby's race season is over. Maybe an 8 hour solo or marathon mtb race. Although not riding related I would also like to do a half marathon, I know I'll be doing a lot of running while were on the road for hubby's race season so that would give me a good goal while pushing our little spawn around in the bob stroller.

#32 ·
Been riding less than a year, but am so totally hooked into it now that it's slightly ridiculous. Nearly got to 500 miles ridden in 2012 (April to December), which seems like a pitifully small amount. But between work, wife, kids & keeping the house from falling apart I guess it wasn't a bad start.

So for 2013 one of my goals is to at least double 2012‘s total miles. Basically shooting for a minimum of 1000.

Would also like to actually go on a specific MTB'ing road trip. I live in the Kansas City area so looking for destinations within a somewhat reasonable driving distance. We'll see what time & money will allow for this goal!

Definitely want to expand my mech skills so I can start taking on more & more of my own bike maintenance.

Also thinking of entering my first race sometime this year. I know I'm nowhere near "race shape" but I think it'd be a kick to at least try it and see what it's all about. I don't foresee a spot on the podium anytime soon, just looking to survive that first race.

#33 ·
2013 goals:
- do at least one multi day trip in the Himalayas (Annapurna, here I come!).
- Bikebikebike... as much as possible! The more I bike, the more fit I am, the more fit I am, the more I can bike, and the more I bike, the braver I get, and the braver I get the more exciting rides I can go on (see goal 1)! (it's a lovely cycle)
- upgrade to a full suspension and work on my downhill control, cornering and drops.

#35 ·
My goals for this year are to ride more new to me trails. Which hopefully includes more road trips and fantastic scenery and fresh air. I have also been putting together a bikepacking kit and hope to put it to some good use this year. For that I hope to find some girls who also want to spend a couple of days on the trail and nights under the stars. Basically I just hope to enjoy life as much as possible and see as much as possible from wherever my bike can take me.

#37 ·
kinsler: I actually saw a really cool picture of a armed forces member who managed to get a bike and trainer out there. He was training for a triathlon still apparently while he was there.

This is the pic: View attachment 771094

Stay safe.
Thanks- I actually shipped my old road bike that my LBS Frankensteined up for me with a trainer. Unfortunately the army changed the base I'm going to, but I should be able to get it forwarded. I'm hopefully the base I'm going to is big enough that I can actually get some outside time as well. I'm currently going through training/clearing and have been now 8 days without riding and I'm already seriously jonesing for a ride! I'll post up some pics once I get settled... I'm already dreaming about that July evening that I'll be reunited with my bike(s)!

#40 ·
This thread is full of win.

I have focused so much on my running goals that I haven't had a bike goal for a while, so I am beyond excited!

1. Get TFOT and RIDE at least 2x a week. Doesn't matter if it is to the grocery store, bar & grill, with the kids to the park, or an all day trail ride extravaganza...just ride!
2. Ride with other people more. I sometimes get to meet up with Bethany1 on here and fat bike locally, super awesome good time. I would like to ride with more people instead of alone, good for the soul:)
3. Get more trail confident in speed climbs and descents, lay off the brake and trust my body to do what it does best....avoid getting hurt! Look at where I want to go, not where I don't want to end up!!!
4. Learn to hop, idle, and ride the local singletrack(all 12 miles out & back) on my mountain unicycle. So far, I can just ride flatland and hills with gravel but staying in the singletrack groove I just can't muster yet. What a NOOB;)
5. Night ride! That sounds like so much fun! I have a decent light coming and can't wait to try it out! I commuted for years with a crappy RoadToad light and just finally realized lights have come really far now, I should invest in a new one. There is nothing better than a late night summertime ride! Yummy!

#42 ·
2012 Accomplishments:

Completed my first longer-distance Mtb rides: Moco Epic 50 miler, 9 Hours of Cranky Monkey, 12 hours of Quantico, and a few 4-5 hour solos. Got married. Happily married.

2013 Goals:
Finish the 2 100milers I entered: Mohican 100 in June and the SM100 in September.
Complete the MS 150mile ride
Race as many XC races as possible
Get more girls into the Single Speed class, so I'm not bored and alone.
Get through my crazy mental blocks when I start to bonk
Work on Downhill switchbacks.
Ride as much as possible

This is all going to be an interesting year. My husband is in the Army and we were just moved from VA/D.C. that is close to everything MTb to Ohio, where there aren't hills for about 6 hours of driving. It;s going to take a lot, but we also have no where to go out all night either. Much less drinking this year!

#47 ·
Bike and trainer made it. In fact they would have been here upon arrival if the Army hadn't changed my location last minute. I'm spending 6 days a week on the trainer and supplementing that with 3-4 days of running and 4 days of gym stuff. I think the cross training is really helping me maintain my fitness as well as combating the boredom! I just need to find my long movies for my weekend "long ride!"

#49 ·
I like this idea of setting goals! Here we go:

find cheap reliable second hand downhill bike
take said bike to lift access hill 2x/week
join Thursday night race series with said bike, and NOT come in last

organize Wednesday Women's evening bike ride during season
ride 'stupid traverse' which means getting over my left handed exposure fear
uphill switchback improvement, MAJOR improvement needed

visit skills park weekly, ride rails, bridges, pump track
ride the downhills I currently walk on some of my trails (Oh dear, swine flu, slunt, hyperextension)

Keep track of my rides and mileage
ride by myself if needed (it's the bears that scare me)
learn how to change a tire quickly and use a quicklink and replace a derailleur hanger

I think that is it for now. That is probably enough, that is a big list for a season that hasn't even started yet!!

#73 ·
I like this idea of setting goals! Here we go:

find cheap reliable second hand downhill bike
take said bike to lift access hill 2x/week
join Thursday night race series with said bike, and NOT come in last

organize Wednesday Women's evening bike ride during season
ride 'stupid traverse' which means getting over my left handed exposure fear
uphill switchback improvement, MAJOR improvement needed

visit skills park weekly, ride rails, bridges, pump track
ride the downhills I currently walk on some of my trails (Oh dear, swine flu, slunt, hyperextension)

Keep track of my rides and mileage
ride by myself if needed (it's the bears that scare me)
learn how to change a tire quickly and use a quicklink and replace a derailleur hanger

I think that is it for now. That is probably enough, that is a big list for a season that hasn't even started yet!!
doing a check in of my goals a few months later. Doing not too badly. I have visited the ski hill, and done one of the races. OK, so I did come in last, but not as badly as I thought. The women that come out to these races are insanely fast.

I have worked on my maintenance skills. Feeling good with that, and I have kept track of all my rides. My new goal is 100 rides this season, I am half way there!

My downhill skills have improved greatly, my uphill technical is better but I still can't do switchbacks uphill. I am waiting for this to click one day.

I have organized a women's bike club and we get 10-15 women out for rides every week! super stoked about that.

Anyhow, I am pleased, very pleased with where I am at.

How is everyone else doing??

#50 ·
Cleopatra, do you carry bear spray or ? I have bear spray for camping/hiking that clips on so that is my plan. Same plan for problem moose and men. :thumbsup:

Since I am very new I have lots of goals but here is where I am starting.
2013 Goals Part 1:

Learn basic bike maintenance (going to a class tonight)

Learn more advanced bike maintenance (next month -Over three weeks will cover how to take apart, rebuild and place back together the front end of the bike, brakes, seat, pedals, rebuild/tune and the drive train.-I like knowing how stuff works, what it's called and how to fix it. :D)

Build up my ride time and distance (snow better melt soon)
Learn to lift the front wheel (am getting better at this already)
Learn to go over obstacles
Learn to track stand (I managed 30 seconds yesterday!)
Signed the kids up for a kids mb workshop that parents are encouraged to particpate in (starts in May)
Join Alaska Dirt Diva's (checks in the mail)

#51 ·
Cleopatra, do you carry bear spray or ? I have bear spray for camping/hiking that clips on so that is my plan. Same plan for problem moose and men. :thumbsup:

Abso-freakin-lutely!! We have several bear encounters every year. Mostly they are completely benign, black bears that see you and run away. But most years there have been a grizzly sow and cubs hanging around the trails. No one has been hurt to my knowledge, but bear spray is important. Of course best course of action is making lots of noise!! Which we do all the time.

#53 ·
I started working on the "getting comfortable leaving terra firma" goal this weekend. I need a lot of work, but here are a couple of (blurry) pictures I managed to get with my self-timer. The fact that I got off the ground at all, and landed with both wheels on the ground and not head first, was huge for me :D

Attachments

#54 ·
Quick update on my goals. I think this counts as more technical :D Still working on cornering, and trails that fall to the left and the steeps.
I have the same problem with Left hand exposure. The only reason I can think of is because my right leg is stronger so it is usually the first foot down if I am uncomfortable. Any other thoughts why one side is harder than other?

#56 ·
My theory...most people get on and off on the left side of the bike, so having to put down the right is less natural. I think it also ties in with the favored or "sugar foot", which I think is right for more people; you're more likely to give up or mess up after a right pedal stroke, in which case you'll land on your left foot...unless there is no land there!

Other thoughts welcome.

#55 ·
riding last night thru some technical twisty stuff (i realize these are sections even good riders might fumble on, so i shouldn't feel so bad) that i have issues with super tight turns that also have off camber rocks and roots WITHIN the turn. This is difficult stuff and i always freeze up because i assume I'm going to bash my handlebar or crank while trying to twist around it. Then again, i see my riding partner, on a racy 26er cut right thru it. Most guys i ride with have way more experience than i, so that's a lot of it, but knowing that it CAN be done when i see others, means i should give it more of a try.

#57 ·
I have built up my dirt jumper since this pic was taken. Now I just need the pump track to dry out.

I also got a lighter all mtn bandit 26'' which is a dream to ride. I should be able to climb better

For dh I'm getting my bike tuned and ready when the bike park opens in May. Our local bike park is having a Pedal Fest and one of the events I'm stoked about is the Women's dh clinic

#58 ·
I really want to improve on a bunch of things...but I think I am getting too old ! I turned 64 this year and I'm afraid my goals now are to just maintain skills and fitness...and avoid injury ! ! ! I am slowly dialing back the technical and risky (no more fast Noble rock gardens...and there are a couple of spots in Mission Trails I won't do since my femoral neck fracture 3 years ago...lots of things on World Cup Anderson where I take the bypass without even hesitating...)

I've crossed things off my list over the years. No more jumping off drops since going higher...and higher...and higher...and then separating my shoulder and getting a concussion. Noble rock garden = broken finger and knee split to bone (separate rides). R sided drop offs = nervous since fall from tough switchback and scary concussion, fall off cliff when my handlebar was grabbed by a tree branch..saved by elastic cord on my Camelbak hanging up on another tree branch, fall into steep gully that chainringed my leg but could have been much worse. More aggression in rocky downhills tamed by OTB with minimal damage but could have been much worse. Wheelies abandoned when two much more skilled friends went over backwards and limped away. Charging up Gooseberry verticals toned down by memory of much more skilled friend breaking his ankle/surgery with a simple topple over fall. Better skinny riding suffers from two nasty outcomes...one where my front wheel ran off the skinny, dug in, and I did a high speed OTB...the other where I was at a skills park and trying to go further and further on the elevated skinny...finally fell off (duh)...thankfully no injuries...but TONS of potential. oh yeah impaled my quadriceps on a sharp manzanita branch with an aggressive move on Cowles..it broke off and the ends disappeared inside...3 inch chunk had to be dug out in ER. Efforts to go faster dampened by helicopter ride off trail after high speed slide out on rocks on the Mesa above Tunnels and landing directly on a rock with my hip resulting in femoral neck fracture/3 pins. I think you can tell I am crazy about this sport (or maybe just crazy) and can't stay away...but sadly, longer and less technical is starting to be my mantra. Any other ladies in that boat ?

#59 ·
I really want to improve on a bunch of things...but I think I am getting too old ! I turned 64 this year and I'm afraid my goals now are to just maintain skills and fitness...and avoid injury ! ! !
You know, this is something I've been thinking about lately....

First up: I'm hoping to get a new bike for my 60th and put some miles on it, so you're already my hero. :) Maybe even another for my 70th if things go well. This has been a long-term goal of mine for quite a while.

But I'm also trying to get some of the really burly back country stuff listed that I want to do over the next decade or so, because I'm assuming at some point I might not have the strength, fitness, and/or health to pull them off. But I don't know when or how that's gonna happen.... I'm riding with some guys in their 50s that are still regularly kicking butt on the whippersnappers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.