Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Rock n' Roller
    Goals for the season:

Work on endurance and speed, especially on flowy downhill. I love chunk, but for some reason, fast and narrow single track terrifies me. Fell once pretty hard on an easy, flowy section of trail going mach. Road rash lasted a while and it took weeks before the feeling of being hit by a truck vanished. Since then, getting back up to speed has been a huge mental challenge.
    Build confidence and power to conquer technical uphill and roots.
    Learn how to find the best lines.
    Ride and finish my first (hopefully second and third) endurance race. The first is this saturday - 40 miles of single track all above 9,000 feet with 7500 feet of elevation gain. Hopefully the CB classic will be the next.

Now for some specific goals:
    Clean upper and upper upper (nonstop, not in sections)
    Clean the roots on Deer Creek
    Clean Green Lake trail (non stop)
    Explore 402, 409, and Etcher
    Nail that one root on Bud's trail

And some goals already obtained!
    Registered for my first race
    Rode between 80 and 100 miles for 4+ weeks
    Shaved nearly 2.5 hours off of my last timed attempt at Upper and Deer Creek
    Rode Deadman's (and loved it)
    Trained the border collie and took her on her first big ride (she rocked it!)
    Cleaned the climb and then the "rock" on Strand
    Cleaned the rock garden on Farris
    Broke down and bought a new rear tire.
    Rode and loved Porcupine Rim (rode the "ledge")

Good luck to everyone here accomplishing your goals and inspiring each other!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgypsy View Post
    And some goals already obtained!

Trained the border collie and took her on her first big ride (she rocked it!)

Broke down and bought a new rear tire.
    Pictures of the dog are required!

Ha! Congrats on the tire.

Good luck and have fun at the races

Rock n' Roller
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Pictures of the dog are required!
    And here she is, charging down Upper Loop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Riding Goals for 2013-img_0334.jpg  

Riding Goals for 2013-img_0333.jpg  

Riding Goals for 2013-img_0327.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Nice dog, glad s/he's a good trail dog. So fun.

Team Chilidog!
    Props for pictures of the dog and the bike
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

pin it
    I did my first gap jump. (18'' or about 45cm across). Until now I had only done table tops. It's not a goal I considered possible for 2013.

So to build on that achievement my goal is to keep practicing at the bike park, work on my speed... and progress!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    I like this idea of setting goals! Here we go:

find cheap reliable second hand downhill bike
    take said bike to lift access hill 2x/week
    join Thursday night race series with said bike, and NOT come in last

organize Wednesday Women's evening bike ride during season
    ride 'stupid traverse' which means getting over my left handed exposure fear
    uphill switchback improvement, MAJOR improvement needed

visit skills park weekly, ride rails, bridges, pump track
    ride the downhills I currently walk on some of my trails (Oh dear, swine flu, slunt, hyperextension)

Keep track of my rides and mileage
    ride by myself if needed (it's the bears that scare me)
    learn how to change a tire quickly and use a quicklink and replace a derailleur hanger

I think that is it for now. That is probably enough, that is a big list for a season that hasn't even started yet!!
    doing a check in of my goals a few months later. Doing not too badly. I have visited the ski hill, and done one of the races. OK, so I did come in last, but not as badly as I thought. The women that come out to these races are insanely fast.

I have worked on my maintenance skills. Feeling good with that, and I have kept track of all my rides. My new goal is 100 rides this season, I am half way there!

My downhill skills have improved greatly, my uphill technical is better but I still can't do switchbacks uphill. I am waiting for this to click one day.

I have organized a women's bike club and we get 10-15 women out for rides every week! super stoked about that.

Anyhow, I am pleased, very pleased with where I am at.

How is everyone else doing??

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    doing a check in of my goals a few months later. Doing not too badly. I have visited the ski hill, and done one of the races. OK, so I did come in last, but not as badly as I thought. The women that come out to these races are insanely fast.
    Downhill or XC?

I have worked on my maintenance skills. Feeling good with that, and I have kept track of all my rides. My new goal is 100 rides this season, I am half way there!
    That's awesome you're working on your maintenance skills! working on mine as well, but I think some of it is getting a new torque wrench. Just got a $20 tool that does torque for small things (3-5nm). Wonderful lil tool from Ritchey.

My downhill skills have improved greatly, my uphill technical is better but I still can't do switchbacks uphill. I am waiting for this to click one day.

I have organized a women's bike club and we get 10-15 women out for rides every week! super stoked about that.

Anyhow, I am pleased, very pleased with where I am at.

How is everyone else doing??
    For uphill switchbacks, it's a matter of fitness for me. You have to lean forward and to the side at which you're turning while continuing to go uphill. Some switchbacks are worse than others.

Nice job getting a riding group going

Found out what was killing my growth in a lot of ways: riding a bike too big for me. It's amazing how things like my goals get better when you ride something more comfortable:

As I posted at the start of the year, my riding goals for 2013 are:
    - Improving cornering (particularly not lose speed)
    - Laying off the brakes on steep and technical downhills
    - Ride more technical trails

My cornering has gotten much better, but it's much easier to lay off the brakes when you're riding a bike that fits you better. In my case, smaller, so I don't have to feel like the bike's controlling me, but I'm controlling it. It turns out that all smalls are not created equal.

Still working on ledgy trails, but they're not nearly as scary as when you're on a bike that fits you right, and the technical downhills are actually fun again.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Downhill or XC? It was a downhill race!

That's awesome you're working on your maintenance skills! working on mine as well, but I think some of it is getting a new torque wrench. Just got a $20 tool that does torque for small things (3-5nm). Wonderful lil tool from Ritchey.

For uphill switchbacks, it's a matter of fitness for me. You have to lean forward and to the side at which you're turning while continuing to go uphill. Some switchbacks are worse than others.

Nice job getting a riding group going

Found out what was killing my growth in a lot of ways: riding a bike too big for me. It's amazing how things like my goals get better when you ride something more comfortable:

As I posted at the start of the year, my riding goals for 2013 are:
    - Improving cornering (particularly not lose speed)
    - Laying off the brakes on steep and technical downhills
    - Ride more technical trails

My cornering has gotten much better, but it's much easier to lay off the brakes when you're riding a bike that fits you better. In my case, smaller, so I don't have to feel like the bike's controlling me, but I'm controlling it. It turns out that all smalls are not created equal.

Still working on ledgy trails, but they're not nearly as scary as when you're on a bike that fits you right, and the technical downhills are actually fun again.
    It was a downhill Race!

Uphill switchbacks are soooo hard!! I have a hill I am going to session just for the steep straight section, I feel like I need to get that first, then turning will be better, I think I need to get even lower and more forward.

Pretty sure my bike is the right size, I love it

Serenity now!
    Goals achieved:

1. "Skinnies."

Check. I still don't have a back yard skinny for practice, but I have gotten much more confident on skinny stuff, curving bridges, high bridges, etc. This seems kind of weird, but I fell off a super skinny practice bridge, got a big hematoma and broke off a shifter, and for some reason that experience made me more confident.

2. "I want to ride 750 miles in 2013."

Not sure how far I've ridden-haven't been consistent in using my Garmin. Also, I'm not sure it's accurate. My Garmin said 15 miles and someone else's bike computer said 22 miles one day. It is consisitently 2+ miles shorter than other people's measuring devices. I'll bet I will do well to break 500. I don't do any road riding which would help significantly.

3." I want to take a riding clinic"

Check. Two so far, hoping to hit one or two more one-day clinics and/or a day at Highlands with Karen Egan.

I've conquered two of the three hardest spots on my most frequently-ridden trails. The uphill switchback is a bugger-I need more strength.

Now to start working on uphill lifts/steep ascents. I am switching my regular ride to a more demanding set of trails.

It is strangely motivating to put goals in writing.
    Duchess of Dab

Don't worry, be happy!
    Late to the party, as always.
    My goal at the beginning of year was to regain my confidence and ride a lot more. I'd taken a lot of time off the bike due to some burnout issues (advocacy project that sucked the life out of me) and hardly rode last year.
    The fun is back. While I'm not technically back to where I may have been a couple of years ago, I'm getting there. I'm just getting miles in, and then a little coaching here and there to remember what I used to know has really helped. Another thing - I ditched my clipless pedals end of last season, and I'm still reaping the benefits. More than anything the fun is back and that was my main goal.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Late to the party, as always.
    My goal at the beginning of year was to regain my confidence and ride a lot more. I'd taken a lot of time off the bike due to some burnout issues (advocacy project that sucked the life out of me) and hardly rode last year.
    The fun is back. While I'm not technically back to where I may have been a couple of years ago, I'm getting there. I'm just getting miles in, and then a little coaching here and there to remember what I used to know has really helped. Another thing - I ditched my clipless pedals end of last season, and I'm still reaping the benefits. More than anything the fun is back and that was my main goal.
    Ditching clipless was one of the best things I could do for my confidence

Does it help you feel like a kid again? That was an unexpected side effect for me.

the Dude memorial aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I did my first gap jump. (18'' or about 45cm across).
    Color me impressed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Ditching clipless was one of the best things I could do for my confidence

Does it help you feel like a kid again? That was an unexpected side effect for me.
    Yes! So glad I ditched mine. Confidence has increased and my falls have dramatically decreased. And, I really don't care how fast I climb that hill because I hate climbing anyway

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I did my first gap jump. (18'' or about 45cm across). Until now I had only done table tops. It's not a goal I considered possible for 2013.

So to build on that achievement my goal is to keep practicing at the bike park, work on my speed... and progress!
    Pics or it didn't happen

Seriously, awesome job! How did you get up the nerve to do that? Not a backhanded compliment.. I really wanna know because I wnat to try it at some point.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Monday report: Best Ride in a very long time this weekend. It was close to an epic ( 19 miles of backcountry) and I was totally able to let go of the underlying anxiety over regaining my ability level - freedom!. I was only bummed that on a 19 mile backcountry ride, one must be very conservative on the trail as the penalty for a mistake is very high, and so I didn't feel it was appropriate to push myself too much.** Needless to say, had a blast. It wasn't a terribly difficult ride - well, OK, two miles of pushing the bike up to the pass, 40+ switchbacks down, and then miles and miles and miles of singletrack through old growth, creek crossings.... it makes for a very long day. Something really clicked for me on the switchbacks which was really cool. Anything I was complaining about the other riders were too so I didn't feel singled out for the things I wasn't riding.

**a guy broke his ankle out there a few weeks ago. He made it out on one leg with a lot of help from his friends. No cell phone, no helicopter landing zones. You're either making it out somehow, or waiting for extrication...so no foolling around out here.

switchbacks

miles and miles of this

and a few of these

Slothful dirt hippie
    Formica- so much stoke from this! Back country riding is my fav, and yeah it's no place for taking chances.

Last Monday I tried to pull of what was supposed to be a 3 hour/14 mile trip that included what I've seen called "The Back Country Injection Route" since it's unusually close from the truck into some great high/remote country. It turned out to be 17+ miles, left the truck at 10 and got back at 3:30, and only barely made it to my hair appt in town at 4... fortunately the hair dresser started riding a couple years ago and totally got why I was apologizing for any budworms or pine needles she might find on me/in my hair in spite of my creek-rinse, lol!

GPS said 49% grade a couple places on the trail down before it ran out of batts, which looked like a freaking riverbed in spots... probably because it is in spring. Can't really recommend it but I made it, walking the sketchier stuff and rolling a few things I don't think I would have had the nerve to tackle a year or two ago.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Team Chilidog!
    formica and verslowrdr: great job on backcountry riding. Maybe next year for me.

Right now, my goal is to invest as much time as I can on my new Mojo HD. Holy cow--if you're riding a bike more suited for you, it's amazing what you can do. I did a 18 miler this past weekend. Even though it wasn't on my goals, I did it

Other than the next two weeks, my riding for the rest of the year should be really limited as I'll be losing at least 5 lbs of heavy boobage. Should be interesting to see how it affects my goals for 2014. Because I'll be off the bike for at least 2-3 months, I'd like to keep reading how you are doing!

Don't worry, be happy!
    I made a multi year goal. I finally signed up to get my coaching certification. I've wanted to do this for YEARS. I was going to, then things got in the way, then I was off the bike, now I'm back on the bike and things just keep better. I've been assisting the local pro coach in a few clinics and I have her and our organizations support and so when I saw Shaums March is leading the IMBA PCI program on the west side in a few weeks... I jumped. I may not be a gonzo dowhhiller/jumper/free riders, but I know I can teach the fundamentals with confidence. I'm really excited about this but I'm sure it will have it's challenges. There are plenty of areas where I'll need to learn the lingo and to learn to teach things things that I am not strong at.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I made a multi year goal. I finally signed up to get my coaching certification. I've wanted to do this for YEARS. I was going to, then things got in the way, then I was off the bike, now I'm back on the bike and things just keep better. I've been assisting the local pro coach in a few clinics and I have her and our organizations support and so when I saw Shaums March is leading the IMBA PCI program on the west side in a few weeks... I jumped. I may not be a gonzo dowhhiller/jumper/free riders, but I know I can teach the fundamentals with confidence. I'm really excited about this but I'm sure it will have it's challenges. There are plenty of areas where I'll need to learn the lingo and to learn to teach things things that I am not strong at.
    Congrats! That's got to be hard work, honestly.

I'm tempted to try this too (my grom coach has me inspired). Do you need to have raced to be able to teach, or do you just have to be able to teach.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I have never raced. I've got a decent resume of clinics I have attended and then volunteer coaching - basically I've been regurgitating things from all the clinics I have attended. Remember that many clinic attendees just want to build confidence and learn/refine skills.

mtbr member
    Goals this year were to build my skills and improve my endurance and like Stripes, I have changed bikes and the improvement has been amazing. I actually ran my first race last weekend. My goal was to finish but I actually finished 4th in my age group! Never expected that! Ended up ranking 41 of 198 riders. I am hooked!
    We have an LBS that has made a huge difference for me with planned rides several times a week. The owners ride with us and give us pointers. We usually end up night riding which was at first a little scary but I really enjoy it now. Great year so far

the Dude memorial aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbRN View Post
    This year will be doing my very first mountain bike ride outside of the US- in New Zealand! Also hiking, kayaking and lots of driving and sightseeing.

Not really a mountain biking goal per se, but this trip has been on my to-do list for almost a decade. Very excited!
    And how was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I forgot to pop by this post at the end of the season. Really interesting to see how I did on my goals. I reached some, realized some were unattainable at the this time and found some where easier than I thought.

My proudest achievement is having started a women's riding group. We met weekly throughout the summer and had anywhere from 8-22 women on a ride! it was followed by a social beer and or meal. We had some skills sessions during the rides, maintenance sessions and guest speakers such as our local Wildsafe rep and always lots of laughs and encouragement. I had many women come up to me thanking me profusely for giving them weekly motivation for coming out and a safe place to learn, we accepted any woman into the group and have a FB page for organization and discussion. I recommend anyone in a city without a women's group/ride to do this, it was amazingly easy and rewarding in so many ways.

My other accomplishment was reaching over 100 rides! next year I might have to bump that to 125! (we have a short season).

How did everyone else do? Come on in and toot your horn!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I watched this post a year ago and couldn't figure out any post-worthy goals for myself. So, I let the season take me wherever it did.

I started working with a coach in January 2012 with the goal of 'kicking it up a notch'. I ended up riding A LOT more than ever before, and at a more moderate pace and with recovery built in to the schedule. It made a huge difference in my fitness. The cost was a lot more time on the road and less time on fun technical stuff. But the payoff was that it's easier to make the fun technical stuff now; I can keep up with my friends without busting my lungs; and I did more camping as there is great road riding using land we own as a starting point.

My biggest accomplishment was doing a 24-hour race with 14 hours of saddle time over 100 miles total and having fun doing it!

I also got into cyclocross racing for the first time. What a blast!

Who knows what next year will bring. I'm sticking with my coach because I ride a lot more when I have to report on every ride. There were lots of times I rode when I didn't feel like going out, but I NEVER regretted riding when I didn't feel like it during or after the ride.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4