Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Goals for Down Hill:.
    In general: Ride faster and steeper
    Specifically: work on wheelie drops, getting more height on my tabletops

Goals for Trail riding
    In general : climb better (I got a new bike which is lighter and that will help)
    Specifically: practice on the pump track in the backyard
    From the 2012 goals thread

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I am working at speed and cornering, as well as control when landing bigger jumps and drops. Getting better at dh technical has made me a stronger xc rider. Hill climbing is geting easier in platforms.

The local dh parks are opening soon so I am excited to test my skills again.
    My goals are consistent from year to year. Just working on small improvements
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Just one goal: to not get crazy out of cycling shape during my upcoming deployment... anyone know the best way to pack and ship a road bike and trainer to Afghanistan?!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ No, that's a tough one. Stay safe and let us know if you need anyone to "watch" your bike while you're away.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    You know it. The whole "dirt roadie attitude" thing sucks.

I'm also a little picky about who I take on backcountry recon. The best survival skill of all is caution IMO... I like to ride with folks who are risk-aware and risk-averse. Like recognizing that coolio black cloud rolling in from the west might mean trouble and high-tailing it for the barn BEFORE it hits if possible.
    So true on the "dirt roadie attitude." It so doesn't fit in with my style of riding. There was one guy who I rode with (not anymore) who would call out mud on the trail, leaves on the trails, etc. And he would pre-ride the trail before we came in to make sure it was all clear. Everything was a race and he has to outdo everyone.

I can't deal with nonsense anymore. I've gotten picky about my riding buddies--they have to be able to like riding with me and my riding style, just as I have to be patient with theirs. And on harder trails, I get like you do about backcountry rules. You have to be self-sufficient and not suffer from chronic clue failure.

Two of the male riders I regularly ride with I go on limited rides with them. I have to keep my riding time with them to non-backcountry rides and when I have the patience to ride with them because they require more "care and feeding" than other riders. It's not a speed thing at all--it's a self-sufficiency issue.

mtbr member
    My goals for 2013

Keep pedaling and never stop ever again, have fun, smile, not die at Old Pueblo my first ever 24 hour race (did I mention I am doing this solo, still not sure what I was thinking), buy a real light before the race, buy a new bike since mine is a vintage piece of history that I killed the pull shock on last week and Fox doesn't make parts to fix it with anymore, inspire more people to ride and ride better, find women to ride with, find people in my area to ride with, keep meeting more random people while out riding, somehow convince my husband that riding more than 6 miles really is fun, try out single speed, catch up on all the changes in the cycling industry since I left racing and riding in 2004, find a job doing something cycling related that inspires me and doesn't make my brain feel like it is melting (not riding related I know), keep learning how to fix things on my bike, and last but not least remember I can always learn to ride better.

Last year I learned in the 9 months I have been riding again.

How to night ride with an old halogen lamp and a flashlight headlamp.
    How to replace derailleur cables and a handlebar.
    Riding in newly built trails in AZ means you really should invest in slime tubes ( I still don't have tubeless)
    Don't walk your bike in the dark over large rocks without looking down first (how I broke my handlebar).
    A passion for riding a bike can not be forced.
    I still love rocks and single track.
    Riding my bike still makes me smile!
    This isn't flying, this is falling with style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    ^^ No, that's a tough one. Stay safe and let us know if you need anyone to "watch" your bike while you're away.
    Thanks for the offer, but I think my boyfriend can handle it! But I may enlist the help of the women's lounge when I buy a post-deployment new bike. I keep hearing all this chatter about twenty- niners... maybe I need to check this out!

mtbr member
    2012 Goals: Learn how to mountain bike. Started the year very slowly and tentatively at China Camp, a fun, beginner singletrack loop north of San Francisco. Got off and walked over rocky bits and near cliffs. Had great difficulty with switchbacks, rocks, etc. Have since learned how to wheelie (but not hold it), feel confident in switchbacks, can drift around corners, completed the Downieville XC race (slowly), won a few beginner Super D style races towards the end of the year.

I find that racing really lights a fire under my ass to improve. The pressure and the adrenaline makes me conquer fears. We know the techniques...we've heard them over and over again. We just need the confidence to do what we know. For me, the fear of a girl behind me passing me makes me go, "well ****, I guess I'd better do this." And it usually all works out.

2013: improve core strength, leg strength, flexibility, and not lose too much base fitness. Ride as much dirt as I can until the end of my first trimester (and maybe for a little while longer).

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christieland View Post
    2012 Goals: Learn how to mountain bike. Started the year very slowly and tentatively at China Camp, a fun, beginner singletrack loop north of San Francisco. Got off and walked over rocky bits and near cliffs. Had great difficulty with switchbacks, rocks, etc. Have since learned how to wheelie (but not hold it), feel confident in switchbacks, can drift around corners, completed the Downieville XC race (slowly), won a few beginner Super D style races towards the end of the year.

I find that racing really lights a fire under my ass to improve. The pressure and the adrenaline makes me conquer fears. We know the techniques...we've heard them over and over again. We just need the confidence to do what we know. For me, the fear of a girl behind me passing me makes me go, "well ****, I guess I'd better do this." And it usually all works out.

2013: improve core strength, leg strength, flexibility, and not lose too much base fitness. Ride as much dirt as I can until the end of my first trimester (and maybe for a little while longer).
    Congrats!

Some of the women here rode into their second trimester. Matter of fact, there's a video of Catzilla doing trials (yes, trials NOT trails) pregnant.

You should post another thread on that, as there's plenty of women here who could tell you the during and after pregnancy parts on getting back into riding, etc.

feeling squirrelly
    I'm looking forward to riding in 2013. I've still got about 11 more weeks of cooking this kid then I (mostly) get my body back all to myself. I've done a good job of maintaining my fitness throughout my pregnancy but haven't been riding really technical trail in a while. So I'm sure I'll have to do a little work getting my cajones back.

My main goal for 2013 is do some sort of endurance race in the fall after my hubby's race season is over. Maybe an 8 hour solo or marathon mtb race. Although not riding related I would also like to do a half marathon, I know I'll be doing a lot of running while were on the road for hubby's race season so that would give me a good goal while pushing our little spawn around in the bob stroller.
    Last edited by badjenny; 01-06-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: iPad typos

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My goals are pretty simple. I'll be moving to an area where I won't know anyone in about 3 months, & I just want to ride more & meet some cool fellow chicas to ride with. I can't want for more than that.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Been riding less than a year, but am so totally hooked into it now that it's slightly ridiculous. Nearly got to 500 miles ridden in 2012 (April to December), which seems like a pitifully small amount. But between work, wife, kids & keeping the house from falling apart I guess it wasn't a bad start.

So for 2013 one of my goals is to at least double 2012‘s total miles. Basically shooting for a minimum of 1000.

Would also like to actually go on a specific MTB'ing road trip. I live in the Kansas City area so looking for destinations within a somewhat reasonable driving distance. We'll see what time & money will allow for this goal!

Definitely want to expand my mech skills so I can start taking on more & more of my own bike maintenance.

Also thinking of entering my first race sometime this year. I know I'm nowhere near "race shape" but I think it'd be a kick to at least try it and see what it's all about. I don't foresee a spot on the podium anytime soon, just looking to survive that first race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    2013 goals:
    - do at least one multi day trip in the Himalayas (Annapurna, here I come!).
    - Bikebikebike... as much as possible! The more I bike, the more fit I am, the more fit I am, the more I can bike, and the more I bike, the braver I get, and the braver I get the more exciting rides I can go on (see goal 1)! (it's a lovely cycle)
    - upgrade to a full suspension and work on my downhill control, cornering and drops.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by EcoTravelerChick View Post
    2013 goals:
    - do at least one multi day trip in the Himalayas (Annapurna, here I come!).
    - Bikebikebike... as much as possible! The more I bike, the more fit I am, the more fit I am, the more I can bike, and the more I bike, the braver I get, and the braver I get the more exciting rides I can go on (see goal 1)! (it's a lovely cycle)
    - upgrade to a full suspension and work on my downhill control, cornering and drops.
    That's the spirit!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My goals for this year are to ride more new to me trails. Which hopefully includes more road trips and fantastic scenery and fresh air. I have also been putting together a bikepacking kit and hope to put it to some good use this year. For that I hope to find some girls who also want to spend a couple of days on the trail and nights under the stars. Basically I just hope to enjoy life as much as possible and see as much as possible from wherever my bike can take me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    kinsler: I actually saw a really cool picture of a armed forces member who managed to get a bike and trainer out there. He was training for a triathlon still apparently while he was there.

This is the pic: Riding Goals for 2013-69614_10100551868048921_201417104_n.jpg

Stay safe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayseakay View Post
    kinsler: I actually saw a really cool picture of a armed forces member who managed to get a bike and trainer out there. He was training for a triathlon still apparently while he was there.

This is the pic: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	69614_10100551868048921_201417104_n.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	771094

Stay safe.
    Thanks- I actually shipped my old road bike that my LBS Frankensteined up for me with a trainer. Unfortunately the army changed the base I'm going to, but I should be able to get it forwarded. I'm hopefully the base I'm going to is big enough that I can actually get some outside time as well. I'm currently going through training/clearing and have been now 8 days without riding and I'm already seriously jonesing for a ride! I'll post up some pics once I get settled... I'm already dreaming about that July evening that I'll be reunited with my bike(s)!

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ Hang in there! And safe travels. Reward yourself with a glorious ride upon your return.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Night riding has always been on my list! We would love to see more ladies come out and race our night series in Indianapolis, IN! Very challenging, but SO MUCH FUN! Check us (Indiana MTB) out and consider adding night riding to your goals.

mtbr member
    This thread is full of win.

I have focused so much on my running goals that I haven't had a bike goal for a while, so I am beyond excited!

1. Get TFOT and RIDE at least 2x a week. Doesn't matter if it is to the grocery store, bar & grill, with the kids to the park, or an all day trail ride extravaganza...just ride!
    2. Ride with other people more. I sometimes get to meet up with Bethany1 on here and fat bike locally, super awesome good time. I would like to ride with more people instead of alone, good for the soul
    3. Get more trail confident in speed climbs and descents, lay off the brake and trust my body to do what it does best....avoid getting hurt! Look at where I want to go, not where I don't want to end up!!!
    4. Learn to hop, idle, and ride the local singletrack(all 12 miles out & back) on my mountain unicycle. So far, I can just ride flatland and hills with gravel but staying in the singletrack groove I just can't muster yet. What a NOOB
    5. Night ride! That sounds like so much fun! I have a decent light coming and can't wait to try it out! I commuted for years with a crappy RoadToad light and just finally realized lights have come really far now, I should invest in a new one. There is nothing better than a late night summertime ride! Yummy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    Just one goal: to not get crazy out of cycling shape during my upcoming deployment... anyone know the best way to pack and ship a road bike and trainer to Afghanistan?!
    there's tons of military guys around VA/D.C. where we were last stationed, many who have done this.. try the Virginia or DC forum. I'm sure you can find out more info

mtbr member
    2012 Accomplishments:

Completed my first longer-distance Mtb rides: Moco Epic 50 miler, 9 Hours of Cranky Monkey, 12 hours of Quantico, and a few 4-5 hour solos. Got married. Happily married.

2013 Goals:
    Finish the 2 100milers I entered: Mohican 100 in June and the SM100 in September.
    Complete the MS 150mile ride
    Race as many XC races as possible
    Get more girls into the Single Speed class, so I'm not bored and alone.
    Get through my crazy mental blocks when I start to bonk
    Work on Downhill switchbacks.
    Ride as much as possible

This is all going to be an interesting year. My husband is in the Army and we were just moved from VA/D.C. that is close to everything MTb to Ohio, where there aren't hills for about 6 hours of driving. It;s going to take a lot, but we also have no where to go out all night either. Much less drinking this year!

Dudette
    ^ Katie, where in Ohio? Anywhere near Cleveland? There's Ray's Indoor MTB Park for the winter months. It does stink you'll have elevational challenges, though. Pump tracks, perhaps?

mtbr member
    we're in Dayton at WPAFB.. Ray's is closer then it used to be, but still 3.5 hours or so

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    This thread is full of win.

There is nothing better than a late night summertime ride! Yummy!
    night rides ARE awesome. i'ts a little scary on technical trails, but its a whole 'nother experience worth trying!
    fap

mtbr member
    +100000!!! I cannot wait for summer night rides!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast