Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ride a carbon frame? - nd frame advice

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  chuky 
#1 ·
So, I am racing for a new team this year and have an oppurtunity to get a new frame at a really good team deal price. I love my Ventana (which will finally be converted to a SS) but a new carbon frame would be a really nice present to myself. :) After riding aluminum for so long, I have a few questions. Thanks for any input.

My questions are:
Aside form the weight weenie factor, what do you like about your carbon frame?
Is there anything you dislike?
Do you notice more dampening?
Does it feel stiff? Responsive?
How is it holding up?

I am looking at this one:

S works carbon HT frame
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33985
Pretty, ain't she?

See less See more
#3 ·
SVSocrates said:
Depending on how patient you can be, check out the new Ibis Tranny.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/mountain/tranny/
Very nice! Ibis makes some sweet lookin' bikes and they are local (i'm in Nor Cal) which is always a plus. Unfortunately Ibis doesn't know how spectacular I am (joke) and are not willing to give me one of their purty 'lil frames at a discount.

#4 ·
Maybe you should strike up a conversation with Hans (I think he's their product rep) over on the Ibis board and let him witness for himself your "spectacularity." :)

I'm sure the Spesh will be a hard charging machine. Their retail prices are kinda offensive though.

I'm in NorCal as well.

Cheers.

#5 ·
Wow. Nice looking frame. When I raced regularly, I had the opportunity to buy one of the Trek carbon fiber frames and raced on that for a couple of years.

Pros (for me): Light weight, did a decent job of damping vertically (I had a hardtail) with lateral stiffness.

Cons: The top tube was really long. I suppose since it wasn't a women specific frame, it comes with the territory.

FYI I raced back in 1997-1998. I still have the bike, frame has held up just fine. I now use it for winter duathlons and such where I don't need all of the suspension in my regular ride.

One other thing... my road bike is also a carbon frame. I love the mix of dampening and stiffness it gives me. Wouldn't go back to aluminum!

Marcia

#7 ·
I have been looking at an epic frame also and the women's specific version in aluminum (the era) is supposed to be lighter than the men's aluminum frame. They say it would be comprable to the carbon but you would have to verify those specs. Because we women are not as hard on the frame, it is built with lighter weight aluminum. The aluminum DT won't ding up as much as the carbon and after the discount, it will still be cheaper. I have seen a few nasty chips in the carbon paint job on the DT. Also, after riding a SS for over a year now, I love the longer top tube. I guess it is all what you get used to.

#8 ·
As they can to super light alloy, too (been there, done that). Any super-light race frame will be more delicate than something built a bit more sensibly. 1200 grams does not a Mack truck make.

That said, I freaking love my ultra-light xc bike. I just don't throw rocks at it.

Cheers,
C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.