Bike Shop Girl
    Apr 2004

Question: Is your next bike a 26, 27.5 or 29?

Hypothetically ladies, if you were to buy a bike this weekend what would it be? Please answer the questions below!
    Thank you for your input!

1. Wheelsize
    2. Brand and Model
    3. Your height
    4. Your riding style

Bike Shop Girl Empowering women in cycling

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    1. 29er
    2. Specialized Epic S-Works
    3. 5'8"
    4. Cross country mixed with just techy trail stuff

I have only ever ridden 29ers, so I'm quite stuck in that niche, and don't see a reason to go to a smaller wheel. I already ride an Epic Expert, and love it, so I'd just upgrade it even more

Don't worry, be happy!
    Hey! I have a bike fund sitting right here ( all my craigslist sales for the last year) and I'd probably get a cross bike or something for touring/dirt roads/occasional grocery getter. Size, 15"-Sm-52 cm or so. Brand - I'd look at Trek or Giant first as my good friends have that in their shop. Other than that, I haven't thought farther. And the $$ may go to my coaching certification now anyway.

Team Chilidog!
    Assuming I'd win the lottery

1. 26in or 650B
    2. Moots YBB or Ventana Alpino
    3. 5'4" or 5'5" (depending if I'm slouching)
    4. AM/Downhill/XC/DJ - I don't discriminate

mtbr member
    The new SC Solo 27.5 looks interesting. If I was planning a purchase it would be high on the list. Or a carbon RIP 9.
    -5'7"
    -trail/AM
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Assuming I'd win the lottery

1. 26in or 650B
    2. Moots YBB or Ventana Alpino
    3. 5'4" or 5'5" (depending if I'm slouching)
    4. AM/Downhill/XC/DJ - I don't discriminate

^I like your style Stripes!

1. 26"
    2. Transition TR250 and if I had deep pockets Nicholai Ion20 or Helius AM
    3. 5'4" or 5'4'' 1/2 (depending on gravity)
    4. AM/DH and XC/DJ and road
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    700 or 650 road racer
    Qunitana Roo CD0.1
    5'3"
    I have a Pugsley, a mountain unicycle, a cargo bike, and a steel retro 10 speed tourer. All I need is a carbon fiber road racer to round out my stable. And I run, so I could do duathlons then(can't swim, so tris are out!) Not in the market for any other MTBs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Have been looking for several months. This what I know - carbon fiber, 2 X 10, lightweight, 110 -120 mm of travel. It will most likely be a 29er but I am open to a 27.5. This week I am thinking an XS Niner Jet - trying to find one for a test ride. Next week it may be something else. The SC Solo may be an option but I know that most likey won't be available for months.

1. 29er or 27.5
    2. ????(carbon, 2 X10, 100 - 120mm travel
    3. 5'1.5"
    4. trail,crosscounty/AM

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsbars View Post
    Hypothetically ladies, if you were to buy a bike this weekend what would it be? Please answer the questions below!
    Thank you for your input!

1. Wheelsize
    2. Brand and Model
    3. Your height
    4. Your riding style

i like my current trance x, and i will probably upgrade parts, but to answer you question, i ALMOST got Spark Contessa. it's a 29, but 27.5 intrigues me as well.

so lets pretend it was the Spark. carbon 25lbs sexy thang. i did end up demoing a very similar bike at a demo day. it was a medium, so a tad long for me. it still climbed like a dream though.

i'm 5'3, but long legs.
    i like chunky XC
    fap

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post

1. 26"
    There can be only one??

1. 26" or maybe 27.5"
    2. Love that Transition TR250...I would just need to get up the nerve to put it to justice. Wish Transition still made the Syren. Also love the Salsa Mukluk - I want to get into bikepacking.
    3. 5'4", give or take.
    4. AM/DH, XC and also intrigued by park/dirt jumping.

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    There can be only one??

1. 26" or maybe 27.5"
    2. Love that Transition TR250...I would just need to get up the nerve to put it to justice. Wish Transition still made the Syren. Also love the Salsa Mukluk - I want to get into bikepacking.
    3. 5'4", give or take.
    4. AM/DH, XC and also intrigued by park/dirt jumping.
    I have never tested a 650b and would love to give it a go!

I like your choices too, petey!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

see me rollin, they hatin
    durrr i should have said fat bike! If i had the budget for a whole new bike, thats what it would be. i wouldnt need to get a hard tail if i got a fatty. i'm sold on full suspension at this point for regular bikes. it's just too chunky around here. if i lived somehwere with more smooth groomed trails, the idea of a super light carbon hardtail would be fun, but alas, for here, my trance is great!
    fap

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post

1. 26"
    Thanks you too The TR250 looks awesome. Haven't seen the Nicholai Ion20 or the Helius.. where does one test ride such rides?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    1. 650b
    2. mojo HD 140
    3. 5'8"
    4. AM

FWIW I just converted my Blur TrC to 650b this week. I've only had 1 ride on it but so far I'm pretty impressed. It smoothed out the trail and the hard edge hits that the VPP sucks at, but didn't make turning as slow as a 29er (had a camber 29er previously). I'm running 1x10 drivetrain with a 32 tooth upfront. The bigger wheels are noticeable on the harder climbs, but they do have that 29er magic of making smaller climbs seem much easier. I may have to drop down to a 30 tooth for a bit to give myself a chance at Skeggs, but we'll see, I'm going to give it a couple more rides. And my toy fund is broke...need more monies!
    The bike sits at 25.5 lbs. My front tire is a pig, so once the toy fund is replenished I'll pick up a weight weenie front tire and should drop a half a pound.

Moderator Moderator
    I've always had a thing for Yeti's, but it's too dangerou$ to check out the details.

Team Chilidog!
    Now that I found out my DH bike has a crack in the frame, the type of bike I might be looking for my change greatly

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Now that I found out my DH bike has a crack in the frame, the type of bike I might be looking for my change greatly
    That stinks, Stripes have you checked out Canfield Brothers Jedi or Commencal? They both make smaller frames with good standover. I'm still disappointed no one is offering an aggressive freeride or downhill frame for women. Are you listening, Transition? The Syren was a thing of beauty.

Slothful dirt hippie
    If money were no object....
    1. 26" is fine with me, I need the lowest gearing I can get for the stupid-steep hills around here anyway.
    2. Something carbon hard tail, I'd have to test ride a few to dial in final choice... On-One 456, Ibis Tranny, I'm sure there's some others out there. Something that could take a beefy tire in the back and could handle a Rohloff hub in any case (remember, I'm winning the lotto!)
    3. 5'8"
    4. Excruciatingly slow back country dirt hippy. This ride would be a 'mud bike', dirt road recon machine, and possible bikepacker for trips where I thought I could get away without rear sus without feeling like I'd taken a turn in a cement mixer.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    That stinks, Stripes have you checked out Canfield Brothers Jedi or Commencal? They both make smaller frames with good standover. I'm still disappointed no one is offering an aggressive freeride or downhill frame for women. Are you listening, Transition? The Syren was a thing of beauty.
    So true. Fortunately, Ventana is awesome as usual and fixing the frame. It's actually cheaper to buy a new fork than to outfit my AM bike for DH riding, so hopefully in the next few weeks, it'll be back in one piece.

Timing just sucks--I'm heading to N* this weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    If money were no object....
    1. 26" is fine with me, I need the lowest gearing I can get for the stupid-steep hills around here anyway.
    2. Something carbon hard tail, I'd have to test ride a few to dial in final choice... On-One 456, Ibis Tranny, I'm sure there's some others out there. Something that could take a beefy tire in the back and could handle a Rohloff hub in any case (remember, I'm winning the lotto!)
    3. 5'8"
    4. Excruciatingly slow back country dirt hippy. This ride would be a 'mud bike', dirt road recon machine, and possible bikepacker for trips where I thought I could get away without rear sus without feeling like I'd taken a turn in a cement mixer.
    I've had an Ibis Tranny for a couple years now- super nice and light weight frame. I'm currently running it geared, but plan on buying a Niner Air 9 so I'm going to covert it to a single speed and finally break my SS virginity!

I have a brand new BMC 29er Fourstroke waiting for me at home which I should be riding on rocky desert single track by next weekend!
    I'm 5'6" btw

mtbr member
    I really can't imagine buying a new bike right now since I'm so in love with my current bike. Stumpjumper Comp 29er, size medium, purchased July 2011.

BUT, if someone gave me a few thou and told me I *had* to buy a new bike (and I could keep the one I have)… well...

I went to the Midwest Women's Mountain Bike Clinic last weekend to work on tech skills. Front wheel lift, rear wheel lift, level lift, manual, front wheel lunge, etc. I'm now thinking that a smaller, snappier bike might be fun.

1. I like the way a 29" rolls over stuff, but if I commit to the idea of a bike with totally different geometry, then maybe a smaller wheel size…

2. There's nothing specific I'm looking at. The shop I work at carries Specialized and Jamis, so I'd start there.

3. I'm 5' 8" with a longer than average torso for a woman.

4. I race XC, but this hypothetical bike would be to fill a different niche.

mtbr member
    I currently ride a Ventana El Padrino and an Ibis Mojo SL. I love the big wheels of the El Padrino and the feel of the Mojo. I'd probably end up getting a Ripley.

(1) 29"
    (2) Ibis Ripley
    (3) 5'7"
    (4) XC and some AM

default title
    Mar 2008
    1. Sixfiddy
    2. J. Furtado / SC Solo - In love with the Furtado carbon orange/red color, not the component spec and the lack of frame only
    3. 5' 7"
    4. XC - AM; Some DJ/pumpin (but not on this bike)
    "My opinions are often more offensive than my *******." - Twindaddy

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    1. 27.5
    2. SC Bronson (saving for one)
    3. 5'8
    4. XC, AM, a little freeride, DH- I pretty much don't shy away from anything.

(Oh and second the remark about the Syren- bring it back)