mtbr member
    May 2012

Question for ladies on saddles

Ladies,

Im getting my wife to ride a mountain bike, I dont think she is going to be a major trail rider but wants to ride to get in shape, so i let her use my old 26" to try it out worked great but my saddle on my old bike made her pubic bone hurt and female parts where reall soar....

Do they make saddles for ladies that work better for them ...

i want her to enjoy riding and that wasn't a awesome start, but we are going to go look at bikes for her and i want some information from other lady riders on what worked , so we know what to look for ,,,,,,,,

Thanks

Don't worry, be happy!

mtbr member
    Yes, saddles designed for women work better for most women than men's saddles. There are a good variety of WSD saddles available (see sticky above). Let her try some different saddles before you buy, if possible. Some swear by a measuring device called the "Ass-o-meter" to determine saddle width, though I personally found it useless.. Once she finds her saddle, mount it dead level (actually use a level) or very slighly nose down. Fore/aft position is also super important.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
    Yes, saddles designed for women work better for most women than men's saddles. There are a good variety of WSD saddles available (see sticky above). Let her try some different saddles before you buy, if possible. Some swear by a measuring device called the "Ass-o-meter" to determine saddle width, though I personally found it useless.. Once she finds her saddle, mount it dead level (actually use a level) or very slighly nose down. Fore/aft position is also super important.
    2nd the nose position- can make all the difference. Bring a trail tool the first couple rides for on site adjustments.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thank you ladies super helpful........ got her to look at some this weekend so we shall see ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks again

pin it
    Just to add, a good pair of bike shorts can make the ride more comfortable. On long trail rides I wear technical shorts with a bit of stretch and a removable chamois liner.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    +1 for the chamois. But also make sure she understands she will have to break her butt in.... No matter how comfortable the saddle is, when you havent spent any time putting pressure on thise areas, they are gonna hurt for a little while. Slowly increasing how long/far she rides will help, and consistancy is key. It will get better!

mtbr member
    Our LBS has a seat demo program for all their WTB seats. There are only two women specific, but you pay $20 and can trade and try them all then apply that $20 toward your purchase of a seat.

mtbr member
    I found the number one thing a saddle needs for me is an indent or cutout in the middle. Lack of one, or a very shallow one, is unbearable on my lady bits. I also found pointing the nose ever so slightly downward helped my lady bits from getting jarred as well.

I tried a WTB Race, but didnt like it. A little too firm, a little too narrow. But I have large hips. I am trying a couple Terrys right now; a Liberator and a Butterfly. So far, I can already tell I like them better.

mtbr member
    Diehard butterfly fan. Liberator is a close second but I think my hips changed somewhere along the way that the Butterfly is better now.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Re: Question for ladies on saddles

I love the Terry damselfly. Really nice for a mountain bike.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2