mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Proud of my wife.

I know this is the womanís part of the bike forum, but Iím positive this will not fit in any other part of forum.

I wonít get into it being over 30+ plus years since Iíve been on a bike, and a lot less for my wife. When I went shopping for my bike, I selected a Mountain bike and I wanted to get my wife one, so we may ride together. Believe me, when I say, mountain trails was not on our list.

I do admit, it was the end of the season when we were at the store and close to winter. My wife talked me out of getting her bike. She gave an excuse, she would want a new model for the new year, and she wanted to wait till the bike season start the following season. I knew she was making things up, and wasnít going to ride as much as I did or wanted to do.

Now we move into the follow year, and itís April.

Well, I tell you , I bugged the hell out of her to lets go look at some bikes.

Well, the salesman talked her into a Hybrid Mountain bike, and Honestly I didnít care, we were getting her a bike, and we can ride together.

It was a pretty funny summer when we both rode, talk about a complete noob at it, and sometimes was too far out there and made me madÖ as a man, I couldnít believe what I was seeing.

Some of the noobie things, and partially understandable:

(1) Sacred to ride in the street.
    (2) Seems to have a hard time going from the sidewalk to street via driveway.
    (3) She had to walk the bike across the street at a stop light.
    (4) It was impossible in the beginning to get her to go over a curb.

Now, back in May, I came across a vid about mountain trials and I gotten excited about it. The wife was strick about, and she was never ever going to do it, as a matter of fact, one of my best friends said the samething.
    Back in May, my best friend and I went on a trail, and both loved it. As a matter of fact, he bought a new bike for continuing to ride the trails.

When I came home each time I went, I told the wife with excitement of my trial ride, but it did not affect her, and I was ignored.

Now, we move to August, and I have not a clue as to why she said she would go with me.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was extremely proud of her, she took my instruction for uphills, downhills with swift gear changing and she rode very well.

She was taking the rocks, roots, sandy patches and cornering very well and impressive.

Although she was using that darn Hybrid with skinny tires. I truly feel she did just as good as I did on my first trial. Yes it was times she cried that I promised I wouldnít take her on the technical trail, but only the easy part, I noticed how well she was doing that I had to trick her that I was lost and we had to go a certain path, (her not knowing) which was the technical part, and some of those, she admitted she really liked that path, and I had to tell her afterwards that was the technical path.

Sorry for the long post, but I am really proud of my wife going on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    My Ex got me into the mountain bike (single track) biking over 10 years ago. Before that I had obviously ridden as a kid.. and had actually used a bike for commuting in my mid 20's.

It is great that your wife is maybe interested in trying this with you. Based on my prior experience.. here is some advice to "keep" her interested. It is great if spouses have hobbies that at least interconnect.

1. I don't know what your financial position is.. but she will enjoy riding "more" on a bike suitable for whatever trails you are going to ride. I rode my commuting "hybrid" bike for a few months and it was seriously a handicap vs my ex's nice "real" mountainbike.

2. Try not to "overface" her. By this I mean, don't try to trick her into too many technical or difficult trails because it is easy to get frustrated if you can't handle the terrain. This also goes for including her in rides with you and your buddies. Depending on how fast everyone is going.. it is particularly frustrating to be the tail end of everything.. not able to keep up. It can be embarassing and frustrating.. you don't want her to be either if you want her to keep riding.

3. Try to find a women's camp or some instruction geared to novice women riders. This was the biggest thing that gave me the confidence to ride.. and made me really enjoy riding. I went to a three day camp in WVA.. and found that I actually could do a lot more than I could when I was around my husband and his friends.. who were just all aggressive and into speeding through everything. Once I figured out "how" to do things properly.. more speed came later. It can also be easier to take pointers and instruction from someone you are not related too!

4. Some pointers are fine.. but try not to overwhelm her with criticism/instruction. Seriously, would you want to go do something where someone tells you everything you are doing is wrong for two hours?

5. Remember, the more "fun" you make this for her.. and the less like "work" it seems, the better she will like it.

I ended up coming back to riding because I did like it so much.. and I now have close trails to ride on..so even though my husband (current.. last.. lol) doesn't have any interest in riding (he is a boat guy.. and motor powered only please).. I can still carve out some time to ride..close to home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by qhgirl View Post
    My Ex got me into the mountain bike (single track) biking over 10 years ago. Before that I had obviously ridden as a kid.. and had actually used a bike for commuting in my mid 20's.

It is great that your wife is maybe interested in trying this with you. Based on my prior experience.. here is some advice to "keep" her interested. It is great if spouses have hobbies that at least interconnect.

1. I don't know what your financial position is.. but she will enjoy riding "more" on a bike suitable for whatever trails you are going to ride. I rode my commuting "hybrid" bike for a few months and it was seriously a handicap vs my ex's nice "real" mountainbike.
    This has crossed my mind, but I don't think she is considering it, and I believe we should have two type of bikes, one for road(not a road bike) and one for trails

2. Try not to "overface" her. By this I mean, don't try to trick her into too many technical or difficult trails because it is easy to get frustrated if you can't handle the terrain. This also goes for including her in rides with you and your buddies. Depending on how fast everyone is going.. it is particularly frustrating to be the tail end of everything.. not able to keep up. It can be embarassing and frustrating.. you don't want her to be either if you want her to keep riding.
    Very good point, and I wasn't trying to get her frustrated, only trying to push to where I know where she can be, but you are right, it can get a person not interested when its not fun. During our ride, I would switch for her to take the lead, so she can get use to looking further up the trail, and me not yelling come'on or hurry up or go faster.

3. Try to find a women's camp or some instruction geared to novice women riders. This was the biggest thing that gave me the confidence to ride.. and made me really enjoy riding. I went to a three day camp in WVA.. and found that I actually could do a lot more than I could when I was around my husband and his friends.. who were just all aggressive and into speeding through everything. Once I figured out "how" to do things properly.. more speed came later. It can also be easier to take pointers and instruction from someone you are not related too!
    A woman camp is something I know she would love, and that is a great idea. I will have to look into that.

4. Some pointers are fine.. but try not to overwhelm her with criticism/instruction. Seriously, would you want to go do something where someone tells you everything you are doing is wrong for two hours?
    I was trying not to give too many instructions, because they can take the fun out it, but I had to make sure, to give some, because if she is just totally doing it wrong, she would want to quit.

5. Remember, the more "fun" you make this for her.. and the less like "work" it seems, the better she will like it.

I ended up coming back to riding because I did like it so much.. and I now have close trails to ride on..so even though my husband (current.. last.. lol) doesn't have any interest in riding (he is a boat guy.. and motor powered only please).. I can still carve out some time to ride..close to home.
    Thank you so much for replying, and this is why I posted in the woman's part of the forum. To get a woman perspective of things.

I suppose my only complaint was all of the darn pics she wanted to take, I'm not sure if she wanted the pictures or it was an excuse to stop and take another break... lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HAMP View Post
    I suppose my only complaint was all of the darn pics she wanted to take, I'm not sure if she wanted the pictures or it was an excuse to stop and take another break... lol
    I take pictures wherever I go. It keeps me motivated in the winter when i look back at the great summer i had.
    Yeti ASR-7- (DHX RC4)
    Trek Lexa SLX- roadie

Chamois Dropper
    Hamp, here's a thread you can use for inspiration.Not long ago, my wife could not get up a curb. Now she's tearing it up. You have to let them go at their own pace, remember they normally don't start jumping everything in sight as soon as the learn how to ride a bike like we do...
    So proud of my wife! 1st black diamond!
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Hamp, here's a thread you can use for inspiration.Not long ago, my wife could not get up a curb. Now she's tearing it up. You have to let them go at their own pace, remember they normally don't start jumping everything in sight as soon as the learn how to ride a bike like we do...
    So proud of my wife! 1st black diamond!
    Nice! ! It looks like we both know that special feeling of being proud of our wives in this event. It also looks like around the same time all of this happened, and almost titled the same, it just took me awhile to getting around to it making the thread. It also took me awhile, because I didnít want to read any replies from anyone saying ďBig DealĒ.

I was so stoked that day, I called all her close relatives and sounded like a complete moron with telling them how proud I was, I called her sister, brother, mother and her dad.

That is a nice bike your wife has, it looks better than mineÖ lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just remembered a funny story about her earlier this year. While riding, she did look comfortable and I figured the guys didnít put her seat up high enough, so I figured I would raise it abit, maybe a little over an in. but not an 1in and 1/2

OMG!!!! Did she some complain, but the funniest thing she said and was one heck of a reason, she felt she was sitting too high upÖ..

I was cracking and thinking I only brought it up an inch, and you saying you are too high up from the groundÖ lol

mtbr member
    I am lucky in that my wife is very adventurous and competitive. When we met she had her private pilots license and we got our PADI scuba certifications together.

She thinks if I can do it then she can too. I have introduced her to Mountain biking and sailing and she now loves both. We ride together all the time and have been doing a lot more night rides lately. She loves her new FS 29er and usually ride about the same pace which is huge. We are best friends so we end up doing most everything together. We are heading to KT next week to tear it up.

Great to hear your wife is doing so well. Some great advice above.