mtbr member

Progress is.... well progress

BBC Sport - UCI reveals plans to boost women?s cycling

At least the UCI is recognizing this as an issue. I don't think we'll ever see equal numbers of men and women at our local races, but it would be nice if the standard 10-15% women participation would increase some!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I don't think we'll see equal numbers as well. But it is good that they're giving it a go and trying out some different things!

I've tried to get some of my female friends to get a bike and come out riding (even if it's just around town). They always laugh and say bikes aren't worth spending money on, and they don't want to be as bruised and scraped up as I always look. I remind them they don't have to go racing like I do and do crazy terrain, but it's something they're flat out not interested in. They rather sit on the couch and whine about how they need to lose weight rather than be proactive about it as well, so I'm sure that plays into it. Which is fine, different strokes for different folks. I think I'm one of the few female riders that prefer to ride with males anyway...

I've noticed at my local races there's girls who ride that come, but they're just there at the races for a boyfriend or husband, and just spectate. Some of them are quite good, too, so I'm not sure why they're so against racing, especially when they're going after Strava QOMs and stuff all the time normally. I'm always the opposite, my boyfriend is a hardcore cyclist never races (at least not MTB, he does want to get back into road races) and just comes to support me while I'm racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    They rather sit on the couch and whine about how they need to lose weight rather than be proactive about it as well, so I'm sure that plays into it. Which is fine, different strokes for different folks. I think I'm one of the few female riders that prefer to ride with males anyway...
    So true, and so sad. I don't think it's fine, I think it sucks. I've been so much happier, so much more confident, since I started pursuing extreme sports. They don't even have to pursue an extreme sport, but, at least, have a hobby other than purses/weight/relationships/etc.

I actually prefer riding with women though. If they're faster than I am, it's inspiring. If they're slower, or newer, it's nice to maybe be the inspiration. My friend Nikki said that it was so cool to see me, instead of her boyfriend, rip down a rocky trail because then she knew it wasn't just "natural boy radness" being a requirement for doing something like that.

But plain ol' fun to just ride with anyone too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I agree, it's not fine but it's fine because it's not me... but definitely not fine from a wellness/health aspect (if that makes sense). I feel just like you, I love the confidence biking has given me, how it has improved my health, the friends I've made, etc. Definitely worth all the money and scars!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The more women that get into the sport.. the more we will find things tuned to our particular needs. Just getting back into biking after a multi year rest.. wasn't too happy with the options out there for me. I used to have a GF Joshua F2.. and really liked it.. I had the small frame and it was super agile. I just settled for a Trek Marlin.. and feel kind of clunky.. even in the smallest frame of 15.5. I wasn't ready to spend 2K on a bike "made for women".. I will try the marlin for a while and see If I can get used to it.