ss poser

pressure suit/flak jackets

i'm looking to get a pressure suit/flak jacket (same thing, right?) i want the rockgrdn women's design (it's PINK!!), but i think it's a bit large for me. i'm 4'11", about a buck (100lbs), and have a 32" chest (barely!). i was also looking at their jr's. if i go w/that option, i'm between a med & lg.

question is, then, is it better to get armor that runs tighter or a bit looser for comfort? seems tighter would be better so as not to slip/slide around, right? do any of you smaller women have a favorite brand/model? i really wanted the pink, but in all reality know i have to go w/whatever fits me!

tks!
    tink
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

mtbr member
    hi there tink- I have a med ladies flak jacket and it fits perfectly. I'm a women's large mainly up top, I have broad shoulders. 5'6" almost, and 130 lbs. I'd image you'd be too small for the women's small, so maybe the jr. sizing is correct for you. Give them a call, that's what I did and the lady on the other side of the phone was very helpful. Good luck!

ss poser
    tks, i sent them an email, but i wanted to get your gals' opinions, too! maybe other brands i hadn't considered yet...? tks!

do you have the legs to go w/? did i read correctly that they only come in sm? the ones i saw at the shop were HUGE!

currently running fox jr's legs & they're a bit on the short side, but they were cheap cheap!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You definitely need women's small stuff, or junior's.

May I ask why all the body armor?!

I'm currently wearing a small 661 Pro flak jacket and lovin' it. It fits me better than my Fox one did.

I also wear the 661 knee/shin in small (might be nicer if I could get them a tad smaller, but they are okay), or the 661 Veggie Knee in medium, I believe.

ss poser
    bloodhead is dragging me down some more gnarly stuff these days! especially wanted something for when we go back to canada this summer. haven't decided between whistler (again) or canmore/banff.

rockgardn said the women's small is the same size as the jr's large. yay! i get the pink!! i still want to try it on before committing.

is your fox jacket too small? you're a teeny bit bigger than me anyway, so fox probably still wouldn't fit me if it fits you... maybe they make a kids version, i don't recall. i looked at a few brands online.

you guys been riding much? we just got back from santa barbara & utah w/a stop at bootleg.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tink bell
    is your fox jacket too small? you're a teeny bit bigger than me anyway, so fox probably still wouldn't fit me if it fits you... maybe they make a kids version, i don't recall. i looked at a few brands online.

you guys been riding much? we just got back from santa barbara & utah w/a stop at bootleg.
    Fox jacket wasn't too small. My helmet hit the back spine protector, and we got 661 half off

We have been riding a ton!! Training for VQ this year. Sounds like you probably had a great trip, though!

mtbr member
    Hi tink bell, I'm also 4'11 (barely) and weigh 120lbs, I managed to get a youth Azonic jacket that fit well.
    I had the same problem with finding armour that fit. The jacket looked really tiny when they brought it out for me to try, but it fit and all the plates in the shoulder and elbows fit where they should, others I tried were too long.
    Definately try jr sizes, (the bonus part to that is usually they are cheaper!)

good luck

ss poser
    hey crash, tks for the tips! i tried on the pink flak jacket in sm today & it fit ok. i'm going to get one of those if we can locate one. heard they aren't making them anymore. if not, i'll get a jr's!

tks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    hey crash, tks for the tips! i tried on the pink flak jacket in sm today & it fit ok. i'm going to get one of those if we can locate one. heard they aren't making them anymore. if not, i'll get a jr's!

tks!!
    Call the Path. I thought they had some in stock.

ss poser
    no, they're the ones who told me rockgardn isn't making pink anymore. sarah let me try her small on.

tks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    no, they're the ones who told me rockgardn isn't making pink anymore. sarah let me try her small on.

tks!
    Yes, RG still makes the women's gear in pink...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

tks!
    You're really small. lol....just thought I would let you know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

tks!
    That sucks if true! I thought it was pretty popular (from what I saw of riding this year).

ss poser
    per mark @ rockgardn, they ARE making the pink in 08 still!! yay!!

Team Chilidog!
    I have a TLD body guard. It doesn't come in pink, but it's SUPER light and pretty comfortable. I wear a large, but you could probably get away with the youth size. The adult one is $135, and the youth one is $95. Pretty much worth it

If you already have arm guards you like, you just wear 'em with it.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

ss poser
    tks, but you lost me at it doesn't come in pink...

i'll keep it in mind if i can't find the rockgardn