Thread: Ovarian Psycos

Moderator Moderator

Ovarian Psycos

Not that much info, but a pic and who can resist an "all-women bike crew"?

When a cyclist is killed, why does the driver get the benefit of the doubt? - latimes.com

Gnarly
    The comments to articles such as this are interesting... and value laden.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Wow! It's tough because I have been on both sides of this. I think everyone needs to be considerate including the cyclists. For the record, in my area at least, we all own 2+ vehicles as well (how else will we transport our bikes to very cool places?) so we certainly pay our share. There are few bike lanes and many roads with little or no shoulder but we still ride because it's better than not riding. Most of us are MTB riders but many spend time on the road as well. Especially for training. I remember how surprised I was when some of these folks pulled out and went two or three abreast when they were clearly holding up traffic and didn't seem to care. There was no reason that we couldn't have ridden single file to be considerate. On the flip side, more attention and less hostility from the vehicles is a must as well. It is usually only a small few that act this way but it really leaves a bad impression. It certainly is not worth your life to test that survival rate between bikes and cars!

Moderator Moderator
    I'm not a group-ride or paceline road-rider, but one thing that most drivers don't realize is that if you need to pass a large group of riders, and the road is narrow enough that you have to encroach on the oncoming lane at all to pass safely (about 3' clearance), it is actually easier to find a safe place to pass 3 abreast than 3 single-file, since you can get back in your lane more quickly.

I have also seen comments that those riders are just recreating, and therefore somehow unworthy of vehicular status or sharing the road. But do we judge drivers like this and tell anyone going out for a scenic drive, a six-pack or to the gym that they should not be on the road?

mtbr member
    What I tell people in conversation is that the roads, according to the law books are for users. Motorcycle, buggy(lots of amish here), bike, car all are used by users. Unless the road is designated "motor vehicles only", it is open for all to share. Be inconsiderate or dangerous and there will be consequences. At least around here the police take road rage reports and cyclist harassment seriously.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest