mtbr member

OT - Summit in the clouds (Pictures from our recent trip to Africa)

So the mountain bike content is minimal (we really wished we had our bikes on the loooooong descent off Kilimanjaro, which would be mostly rideable below ~15,000 ft if it were legal), but I thought some of you might be interested in some of the photos from our September trip to Africa. All three of us made it to the summit of Uhuru Peak (Kilimanjaro) and we saw more animals closer up than we'd ever hoped. The last pic is a bit gorey, sorry, but it's what lions do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alaskarider; 10-26-2005 at 09:10 AM. Reason: finished uploading

mtbr member
    images part 2

mtbr member
    images part 3
    (those are actually 2 different lions; the one who chased the zebras didn't catch one, and we didn't see the second lion's successful chase)

mtbr member since 1997
    Unbelievably beautiful! Definitely on my "to do" list before I die. Thanks for posting that.

Mary Ann

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing!

Displaced Southerner
    Dec 2004
    Wow, those pictures are unbelievable. Thanks for sharing. It must have been quite a trip.

Sidebar...what kind of camera were you using?
    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, do it now. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now.
    ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

mtbr member

2 different cameras

Sidebar...what kind of camera were you using?
    I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 and my fiance has a (film) Minolta SLR. Most of those photos are taken with his camera and then scanned from the slides. I forget exactly what his zoom lens is, but it's not much zoom. (Edit: I asked him and he said it's a 70-210mm.) The animals were really really close (the running lion was perhaps 20 ft. from our vehicle), and he frequently had to zoom out to get them to fit.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. It was a fantastic trip.
    Last edited by alaskarider; 10-26-2005 at 02:42 PM. Reason: more info on the zoom lens

I'm such a fox
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskarider
    I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200 and my fiance has a (film) Minolta SLR. Most of those photos are taken with his camera and then scanned from the slides. I forget exactly what his zoom lens is, but it's not much zoom. The animals were really really close (the running lion was perhaps 20 ft. from our vehicle), and he frequently had to zoom out to get them to fit.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. It was a fantastic trip.
    The photos are great.

I have to ask, what brand of scanner is he using to scan the slides? I'm still attached to film and have been debating the purchase of a scanner.

mtbr member
    Actually, he had them scanned at the same time he got the slides developed. So, I'm not going to be of much help in this regard.

FWIW, we are definitely planning to go digital with both cameras, but couldn't afford a new digital SLR on top of all the other expenses for this trip.

L1MEY
    Wow, amazing photos!
    - Jen.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskarider
    Actually, he had them scanned at the same time he got the slides developed. So, I'm not going to be of much help in this regard.

FWIW, we are definitely planning to go digital with both cameras, but couldn't afford a new digital SLR on top of all the other expenses for this trip.

Wow...you saw all that first hand? Where you scared? Awesome pictures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Holy sh*t, that last picture is scary. How far were you from the lion? Were you afraid it would lunge at you?

Great pics

~*~*~*~*~
    Oh wow! What a great trip that must have been! Wonderful pictures.

I'd be more scared to be that close to the elephant than close to the lion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldbroad
    I'd be more scared to be that close to the elephant than close to the lion.
    Oldbroad's got the right idea in that elephants pose more danger than lions. First, let me clarify that all those pictures of animals (except the zebra and hippos) were taken from inside a vehicle, although the roof was raised and open so a determined lion could certainly have gotten at us if she wanted to. The only time I was afraid of an animal was when the matriarch of an elephant herd with a number of babies started acting aggressively as though she were going to charge. The lions mostly ignored us completely--according to our guide, they don't really look inside vehicles or associate them with humans. Although, that lion in the photo appeared to be looking into our souls, so I wasn't about to challenge her. She was probably 30 ft. away, so that's one of the photos that does use the full extent of our zoom capability. Interestingly, there were some jackals that wanted a share of her meal, and at one point they approached it while she was lying down, and she took an effortless ~10 ft. leap across the creek practically instantaneously to drive them away. It was pretty easy to see why lions are at the top of the food chain.

In case anybody wants to follow in our footsteps, the pictures were taken at Lake Manyara National Park, Serengeti National Park, and Ngorogoro Crater Conservation Area (all in Tanzania). Ngorogoro has one of the highest (if not the highest) concentrations of large land mammals anywhere on earth, so if you go there you're almost guaranteed to see most of the animals you associate with Africa.

Finally, what scared me the most of the whole trip was the driving--not a lot of traffic safety enforcement.

enjoy the view

Good job!

sweet pics. next time you travel to a similar place, take me with you, i'll be your porter!

great stuff!

mtbr member
    those are incredible shots. thanks!

I've heard some about a Kilimanjaro trip, CajunSpice has been. I'm green with envy.

Members who have read this thread: 0