mtbr member
    Jun 2005

OT: Norcal Winecountry trip questions

Still bike-related in a way...
    I'm planning a trip to winecountry in NorCal this October and I'm looking for suggestions on places to rent bikes and cheap but decent places to stay. The Bed & Breakfast thing is cool, but can get very expensive quickly. I wouldn't mind doing that one night, but would like to save some money to spend on bike rentals and drinking wine/eating good food!
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

What part of wine country?

Are you going to Napa or Sonoma county? Generally, things are more expensive in Napa Valley than over in Sonoma. I live in Western Sonoma county and in Santa Rosa there is Norcal Bike Sport, Santa Rosa Cyclery and the Bike Peddler for rentals, with Annadel very close to all of them.

One of the better reasons for staying in Santa Rosa is the central location. You can still drive to Napa Valley (about 40min drive), enjoy Sonoma County wines and get some great riding in both places.

If you do come to Sonoma County, check out the Russian River Wine Road if you like Pinot Noir, Zins, Syrah and Chardonnay. In Napa you'll be drinking mostly Cabernet, Merlot and some Chards.

Have fun

Maniac

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by namrita
    Still bike-related in a way...
    I'm planning a trip to winecountry in NorCal this October and I'm looking for suggestions on places to rent bikes and cheap but decent places to stay. The Bed & Breakfast thing is cool, but can get very expensive quickly. I wouldn't mind doing that one night, but would like to save some money to spend on bike rentals and drinking wine/eating good food!
    thanks!

I am jealous!!!! I lived in the city for three years and went to Napa frequently. I never rode there, but did the whine circuit quite a bit. ymmm.

have fun... If you do get into san fransisco a nice bandb is the red victorian on Haight street.

enjoy,

Venus

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the info! Most likely we'll stay on the Sonoma side...those wines are my favorite Should be some nice riding in the area too. I think we'll stay in/near Santa Rosa.

Thanks, again!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Boggs Mountain Demonstration Forest has some fantastic riding and is not too far from the wine country. There is a reasonable hotel in both Cobb and Middletown called Eagle and Rose, not fancy, but usually less than $100 per night during the week.

http://www.fire.ca.gov/php/rsrc-mgt_boggsmtn.php

http://mtb.live.com/rides/BoggsMtn.html

I hear Annadel State Park is good, but have never been there. It is much closer to Santa Rosa, iirc.
    Last edited by Boognish; 09-29-2005 at 10:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Wife and I were there this time last year...wow what a great time we had! We actually stayed at a little hotel/restaurant in the town of Sonoma right on one of the corners of town square. As I recall, rooms were right at $100 a night (not bad at all for the area). Stay away from Napa for reasonably priced accomodations. Our stay there was a lot more $ and although nice, wasn't spectacular. If you get a chance, stop in at the Ledson Winery (the one that looks like a castle). We loved it and actually have enjoyed our wine club membership with them more so than any others. Have a great time!

Members who have read this thread: 0