mtbr member
    Oct 2006

opinion on '01 Trek 6700 WSD? or... what would you look for w/ a $500ish budget?

yes, one of the "my gf needs a bike" threads...

so let's say you had a $500 or so budget (there's some flex here, but we're on grad school budgets)... what would you be looking at? Used? I'm asking out of curiosity in light of me not knowing what's out there re: women's frames (which yes, I understand may be worth looking beyond).

I found a guy selling a low-mileage '01 Trek 6700 WSD for $575 shipped (WI to VA). Is that too much for an '01? I started another thread (w/ a pic) here, but the Trek forum doesn't seem to get a ton of traffic.

Thanks... ideas would be welcome.

scott

Don't worry, be happy!
    based on what I see on my local craig's list, which I check almost every day, I'd say that's way too muchor an 8 year old bike doesn't matter how many miles are on it. I see one and two year old barely riddens that originally sold for $800 going for $500; you need to subtract even more for age. IMO of course. I'd save that $500 for a use nicely equpped bike. If you watch carefully, you ought to be able easily find a nicer ( better componet) but used bike for that price. Just my two cents of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Buy a bike with a good frame ..

As someone who lived many years on a grad student budget, I know the limitations. I'd suggest getting a used bike with the best (lightweight) frame you can afford. The components can be slowly upgraded - if you watch, there are always very good components at very reasonable prices on places like ebay and craig's list. Just be patient and buy parts when they show up at the right price. But start with a good frame.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy that bike. Furthermore, fixing up an old frame could end up costing MORE than a decent new bike if you don't know what you're doing parts-wise... not to mention the massive aggravation. Take her to a large Specialized dealer and let her test-ride the Myka HT Comp. or one of the other Spesh models in your price-range. They're cute for around campus, yet trail-ready. I'm getting one for my grad-school daughter. Other suggestions (look to the manufacturer web sites)--> Gary Fisher Tarpon, Giant Rincon w, GTw Avalanche 3.0, Kona Fire Mountain. Happy Shopping!
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    hey there, i just sold the exact same bike for $150 in new england. granted, it was more beat up and i was just looking to get rid of it, but $575 seems way high...i think i paid around $550 for the bike brand new 8 years ago.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks everyone. not only will I pass on this, but I'll be checking out other [newer] bikes + the suggestions mentioned... I might have to stretch the budget a bit as well, but we'll see...