Thread: Now in xs!!!!!

2WD
    Rides like a girl

Now in xs!!!!!

Jet 9 RDO
    JET 9 Carbon

The title says it all ladies!!!

mtbr member
    top tube seems pretty long for an x-small bike, also if you are a small person good luck trying to control a super short wheelbase bike with 29 inch wheels. While I am happy that manufactures are recognizing that women have different needs from a bike besides making them pink, I don't see enough of them realizing that some women are short and would like a 5-6 inch playful park bike. I had to search forever to build my wife a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I don't get why an XS person would feel the need to shoe-horn him/herself into a 29er. I was looking at the lengths that some riders at the MSA WC had gone to to make the bikes fit things like 100mm x45degree stems. They had their handlebars below the top headset cup. Seems like fashion as much as function. At least with 650b coming to town, maybe a little bit of the crazy will go away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by epic View Post
    I don't get why an XS person would feel the need to shoe-horn him/herself into a 29er. I was looking at the lengths that some riders at the MSA WC had gone to to make the bikes fit things like 100mm x45degree stems. They had their handlebars below the top headset cup. Seems like fashion as much as function. At least with 650b coming to town, maybe a little bit of the crazy will go away.
    Exactly, but nowadays you can't walk into a bike shop without them telling you that you must be on a 29er. I understand that they roll over things easier and can climb better, but I believe that as a beginner to intermediate rider you can work on those skills much better on a 26 inch wheel bike. It's just marketing and making something for the masses so they don't have to actually learn technique.

see me rollin, they hatin
    top tube is still too long for my little 5'3 torso. i mean i COULD get on the bike and make it work, but it would stress my wrists and arms a bit.
    fap

Gnarly
    I agree with NicoleB. I am never sure about sizing and always need to ride it a bit before deciding. I'm 5'5" (maybe less) with short torso and long legs and arms. Bike style and brands all fit differently
    I tested a size small Giant 29er this summer and it just didn't work for me. I'll stick with my current trail/am bike.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

see me rollin, they hatin
    i'm 5'3, but with my short torso and arms, i might as well be 5'1. top tube is very important. my most comfy bike is around 21.5. you never see a 29er that short. i dont think you could easily build one with the amount of travel i want. The new crop of Giants come closest so far.
    fap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5 View Post
    Exactly, but nowadays you can't walk into a bike shop without them telling you that you must be on a 29er. I understand that they roll over things easier and can climb better, but I believe that as a beginner to intermediate rider you can work on those skills much better on a 26 inch wheel bike. It's just marketing and making something for the masses so they don't have to actually learn technique.
    2nd that... everytime I walk into my LBS the manager is pushing a 29er on me. I can see the benefits and I'll probably eventually try one, but wheel size is no replacement for good technique!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm 5'8", but when matching up the geometry, I'd need a S in this bike... so hard to imagine people way shorter than me fitting on an XS!

I like my 29er, but I am tall and have long legs so it was just a nice fit. I can't really see shorter people on them, though. It still looks like a clown bike with me on it, haha.

29ers Only.
    Hey there -

A couple of thoughts regarding posts above:

- our bikes are designed to be ridden with a shorter stem than most - on an extra small it would be normal to see stem lengths of 50 and 60mm - the key is to add top tube length + stem length.

Niner Geometry
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerReview...29erSizing.pdf

- we do a lot of ride testing before we release something new. Our XS test riders are in the 5'2" +/- range and were previously die-hard 26" fans. As a small company we couldn't afford to invest in something like an XS carbon mold without serious consideration as to the riders it might fit. This doesn't mean it will fit every small rider, but we did our best to consider the range of potential riders for this size.

- We certainly don't expect a free pass just because we are MTBr members and because we have women involved in the decision making process, but I hope that our participation encourages you to demo our bikes before making a judgement call. Every bike has a unique character and the best way to know if it works for you is to ride it. We list our demo tour on our facebook page. I will be adding an XS Jet 9 to the fleets as soon as is possible.
    http://www.facebook.com/ninerbikes/events

- We think your opinions are important and I spend a lot of time on this board, reading. Your comments and preferences do make it into our product meetings and they do influence our choices - a big part of why we make the XS 29er in carbon is because of the wishes expressed on this forum for a high end 29er in a small size. Thank you for your contributions!

Cheers,
    Carla

Niner Bikes
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 09-03-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    When are these XS sizes hitting retailers?? I didn't see a date on the website and wrench science didn't seem to give any indication of availability.

29ers Only.
    We just got word - the first XS batch is on the water. Will be in the US in less than 30 days!

C

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com