mtbr member
    May 2007

Next bike after Cove Stiffee?

I've been riding a Cove Stiffee for the last 3 years. I really love it but should have a new, MUCH better job by next summer so will have the funds for a new bike. I fancy FS, about 6" I think? The Stiffee is my second bike, bought after demoing it. It felt like it fitted me right away and I felt so comfortable and connected to it, not a feeling I had with my first bike despite it also being a decent bike. So the question is what should I look for with my next bike. I'm not entirely sure what it is I love about the Cove so much? I think the laidback head angle and short top tube are important but is there anything else that could be making me love this bike and that I should look to replicate with my next bike. I would probably keep the Cove so the new bike would be for harder trails that were rockier, steeper and more technical, is the short top tube as desirable there or would I prefer a "bigger" feeling bike on those kinds of trails once I got used to them. I'm 5'9 so most bikes are an option, I've never had a WS bike but would be open to suggestions. I also live in the UK so some of the brands popular in the USA wouldn't be available to demo over here easily. At the moment lets say no budget, in reality it would be about $3k but I would be looking at second hand, ex demo, or last years stock to get a better buy.

mtbr member
    So this shows the specs on your current frame:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I...09%20specs.pdf

Look around at some FS bikes and see what's similar. The head tube angle is the one that shows how slack it is, which sounds like one of the things you liked. But your best bet would be to get some general ideas and try a few things out, if you can.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by connie View Post
    So this shows the specs on your current frame:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/I...09%20specs.pdf

Look around at some FS bikes and see what's similar. The head tube angle is the one that shows how slack it is, which sounds like one of the things you liked. But your best bet would be to get some general ideas and try a few things out, if you can.
    Going to add BB height to things you should look for. At this point, head angle can possibly be changed (anywhere from .5 to 1.5 degrees) on if it takes an Angleset.

Things to look for that you like (or don't like) bout your current bike:
    - TT length
    - Head angle (HA)
    - BB height (lower BB, easier to corner, higher BB clears rocks better)

Until recently, I didn't realize how important BB height is on a bike. Currently, one of my rides is going to be replaced because of how high the BB is.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks, I just wasn't sure if I should be trying to replicate my bike, I'm not sure about the bottom bracket, i guess it would be good to try bikes with similar geometry but different BBs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lynseyf View Post
    Thanks, I just wasn't sure if I should be trying to replicate my bike, I'm not sure about the bottom bracket, i guess it would be good to try bikes with similar geometry but different BBs
    Yeah - BB height will change the feel of the bike, but it depends on whether clearance or cornering is more important to you. IMHO, lower feels better, but you might need to learn to ratchet the pedals more through rocks.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by connie View Post
    Yeah - BB height will change the feel of the bike, but it depends on whether clearance or cornering is more important to you. IMHO, lower feels better, but you might need to learn to ratchet the pedals more through rocks.
    Ratcheting is a wonderful skill, helps me a lot

Also consider wheelbase length. Longer == more stable. Shorter == easier to manual, but not necessarily as stable.

The BB height on my XC bike (Ventana semi-custom El Saltamontes) is 13.2, but the one on my current AM bike (Ventana X-5 with 67 degree HA which is going away) measures 14.2, a full inch. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it's too high for me and it makes steeps and turns really uncomfortable for me--feeling like I'm going to tip over.

For my XC bike, I really like the 13.2 BB height with the 69 degree HA and 120mm travel. On the bigger bike, I like to be around that (it'll measure 13.4 with 150mm or 13.2 with 140mm, starting with 150mm though) and a 67 degree HA.

Do a bunch of test rides if you can. I test rode (you get bored when you're new frame isn't ready:
    - Yeti 575: feels exactly like my current AM bike I don't like
    - Specialized Stumpjumper: Felt like it was in between my XC and AM bike.
    - Ibis Mojo: It would be great if I wanted to replace my XC bike
    - Pivot Firebird: too harsh.
    - Ibis Mojo HD: too harsh and too high BB
    - Enduro Aluminum: Felt heavy and flexy.
    - Enduro S-Works: really liked the feel of this one. BB height was just right and the stiffness was good. The longer wheelbase made it really difficult to pull up the front wheel. Head angle was a bit slack for me at 66.5, but it would be a good do-it-all bike. And I'm not a Specialized fan.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD