mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Newbie Question: Women base layer for riding

Hi guys,

I am just starting with mtb and love it. I just had my first endo on Saturday and landed hard on my chest.
    As my chest is 'well-cushioned' I was wondering what you wear as a bra? I had a sports one which rather kept everything tight, but today I feel like it would have been better to have one without cups to have some space to 'escape' when I land next time front forward, although I really don't like it bouncy. lol.

Just wondering for some other more experienced opinions on that matter, as this was the only topic my mtb-boyfriend didn't have a smart answer for. lol

Thanks a lot!

gone walk about
    tweety @ all cost avoid OTB maneuvers, hence no worries about garmets and bouncy or not.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

9 lives
    Are you asking about a better fitting bra or chest protection?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I prefer the full-coverage, multi-layer, bulletproof sports bra that keeps everything in place and covered up when I go body-surfing over gravel. Kind of feel bad for the boys who don't have that option... Nipple abrasion baaaad D:

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by ryetoast View Post
    I prefer the full-coverage, multi-layer, bulletproof sports bra that keeps everything in place and covered up when I go body-surfing over gravel. Kind of feel bad for the boys who don't have that option... Nipple abrasion baaaad D:
    do you make a habit of body surfing?? if so post up some video for us..

always licking the glass
    Before my breast reduction a few years ago (I was a 36JJ), I wore Enell bras (ENELL - Home). I think I was mainly a size 4 or 5. Totally worth it.

Now I just wear a 38DD sports bra, forgot who makes it. But Enell is the bomb for what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    @cyclelicious: I am looking just for some options what has been proven good. I am just starting, so I would feel silly to ride around with some pro protection.
    I landed on the corner of a log with the right side of my chest, so it would have been probably bad no matter what base layer and I have no intention to do that maneuver again. But I have also the tendency to push it sometimes, so I am sure that wasn't my last unplanned stunt. lol

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Before my breast reduction a few years ago (I was a 36JJ), I wore Enell bras. I think I was mainly a size 4 or 5. Totally worth it.
    Most of what we read / hear is of implants for women but at some point perhaps a hindrance and your decision to reduce volume hopefully serves you well.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    Most of what we read / hear is of implants for women but at some point perhaps a hindrance and your decision to reduce volume hopefully serves you well.
    Uh, I did it a few years ago. I posted about what bra I wore at the time. I don't think that has anything to do with what the OP intends to discuss on her thread.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Too much is a real health problem for many women, causing neck and back issues, never mind the well fitted clothing issue.

gone walk about
    Uh, I did it a few years ago. I posted about what bra I wore at the time. I don't think that has anything to do with what the OP intends to discuss on her thread.
    i would agree however my reply was to your post and the course of action you chose to take.

always licking the glass
    i would agree however my reply was to your post and the course of action you chose to take.
    Maybe my coffee is broken. I'm missing something. Are you curious to how life is treating me on the bike since the reduction?

Not blowing you off, just hate it when someone hijacks my threads and I'm trying not to do that to anyone else.

Feel free to ask though, either here or PM. I'm perfectly comfortable talking about it no matter how polarizing the topic is.

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by TweetyS View Post
    @cyclelicious: I am looking just for some options what has been proven good. I am just starting, so I would feel silly to ride around with some pro protection.
    I landed on the corner of a log with the right side of my chest, so it would have been probably bad no matter what base layer and I have no intention to do that maneuver again. But I have also the tendency to push it sometimes, so I am sure that wasn't my last unplanned stunt. lol
    Ok. Firm support and good coverage is best. I really like Brooks and wear a high impact bra for both running and mtb. No jiggle and won't give you uniboob. The style I wear is Juno.

Brooks Sports Bras - Support for All Sizes and Activities
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

always licking the glass
    nvphatty: I tried to reply to your PM, but it won't let me. Please fix your settings here so I can reply to it. Thanks.

gone walk about
    nvphatty: I tried to reply to your PM, but it won't let me. Please fix your settings here so I can reply to it. Thanks.
    ok hang on.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Ok. Firm support and good coverage is best. I really like Brooks and wear a high impact bra for both running and mtb. No jiggle and won't give you uniboob. The style I wear is Juno.

Brooks Sports Bras - Support for All Sizes and Activities
    I find Brooks comfy and effective as well. Tweety, it can be challenging to find the right balance between support and comfort. You want control, but still need to breathe! Keep trying different models until you find one with the right balance for you.