Thread: New helmet time

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New helmet time

I'm thinking about upgrading my helmet this year. I did some searching, but the topics that returned were a couple of years old so I thought maybe it was time for a new topic.

So what are all of you wearing to protect your noggin? Anyone else looking, & if so what is your experience? It may be helpful to post what your head size is & what brands typically fit you best. Right now I'm using a Specialized Aspire in a small, but want something for the trail that will offer more protection (I don't want full face though).

I have limited resources in my area in terms of what the LBS's may stock, so I will likely have to do the online thing. Models that I'm looking at are the Fox Flux, Giro Xara/Xar, Uvex XP CC, & maybe a Giro Hex.
    Last edited by hawkychick; 03-01-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    POC Trabec, supposed to be super safety oriented, and very comfy. Maybe a little warmer than the Xar, as fewer vents. Not a micro-adjustable as the Xar, but easier to do with gloves. Nice soft chin strap, I just have to check the "Y" (ear) adjustments occasionally. I have the crazy green for commuting and hunting season.
    POC Trabec Helmet | Competitive Cyclist
    They had a nice purple too, but maybe that was a prior year.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    POC Trabec, supposed to be super safety oriented, and very comfy. Maybe a little warmer than the Xar, as fewer vents. Not a micro-adjustable as the Xar, but easier to do with gloves. Nice soft chin strap, I just have to check the "Y" (ear) adjustments occasionally. I have the crazy green for commuting and hunting season.
    POC Trabec Helmet | Competitive Cyclist
    They had a nice purple too, but maybe that was a prior year.
    Thanks for the reply mtb. What size do you wear? How do you find the fit to be?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I recently purchased the 661 Recon Repeater in S/M. My head measured between 54 & 55 cm. I got it out an the trail, and really liked how quick it was to adjust on the trail. The adjustment mechanism has a very audible click. The helmet was really well vented and kept me cool. I purchased from LBS in case I didn't like it. That way they could sell it. Good Luck on your search!!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkychick View Post
    Thanks for the reply mtb. What size do you wear? How do you find the fit to be?
    Pinhead size! I can usually be sure that the smallest size fits in any brand, in this case xs/sm. If I open the adjusters I can fit a medium weight cap too. If you have a sewing type measuring tape, that works best. If not, use a belt or other non-stretchy item around your head and then measure it and compare to the size chart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks ladies. Mine measures 53cm. Just big enough that some models bump me up to a medium, regardless of what the chart may say. I have found that helmets fit so differently even within the same brand. It's crazy. I tried a Giro Hex & Giro Feature today, & they were both so different in both size & shape. I think that I may have a football shaped head too (as opposed to the Charlie Brown shape), because of the way that some helmets fit. Anyway, the Hex was the only one on my list that any of the shops had (they didn't have anything else, no 661, Lazer, POC, nothing), so I'm either going to have to expand my search & make some road trips to the big city, or order online from retailers with a good return policy. Argh.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkychick View Post
    Thanks ladies. Mine measures 53cm. Just big enough that some models bump me up to a medium, regardless of what the chart may say. I have found that helmets fit so differently even within the same brand. It's crazy. I tried a Giro Hex & Giro Feature today, & they were both so different in both size & shape. I think that I may have a football shaped head too (as opposed to the Charlie Brown shape), because of the way that some helmets fit. Anyway, the Hex was the only one on my list that any of the shops had (they didn't have anything else, no 661, Lazer, POC, nothing), so I'm either going to have to expand my search & make some road trips to the big city, or order online from retailers with a good return policy. Argh.
    I have a Kali and I like it a lot. However, I think my next helmet will be the POC. Both fit me fine, I measure the same as you, but I think I have a rounder head.

Check out the Fox and Bell helmets and see hwo they feel too. They have a bunch with more rear coverage.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I bought this Nutcase toward the end of last season. I love it! "Normal" helmets seem to sit on my head weirdly; they're always askew, but this one fits well and straight! It came with three different thicknesses of padding so you can customize it quite a lot. I haven't tried it out in super hot weather, but I haven't gotten overheated in it.

mtbr member
    I have the fox pink reflux helmet and I like it a lot. It adjusts well. If you're gonna spend some money though I would try the POC helmets because they look badass. If they made a pink one I would have tried those out.
    2012 Trek Rumblefish

Trek4Lyfe

mtbr member
    I am currently running a Fox Flux in S/M, and it is too big for warm rides. It is great for winter riding with a cap on, though. For reference, my head measures around 54cm.

I am also looking for something with a bit more coverage and will be trying out the iXS Trail RS helmet in S/M to see how it fits. Unfortunately, no LBS carries it around here so I am going to order from Jenson and if I hate it, I can return it pretty easily. Once it arrives, I will update and let you ladies know how I like it.
    You have to earn your downs...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I like Giro helmets, as they don't make me look like a mushroom head. I have a Xar in small for mountain biking, and an Amare for road biking in small. Just like the adjustability and that I can pull my hair through the stuff in the back for a comfy fit. Looking at getting a Xara for mountain biking here soon... if I can bring myself to spend the money. Damn bike stuff... it's never ending!