mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New bike for my better half

Hi folks,

My wife is interested joining me for some gravel road rides and I'm really excited about having her along. She hasn't ridden regularly in a few of years and I'm thinking it's time for an upgrade from her Trek 820.

Here's my issue, she's a little doll at about 5'2" with an inseam of around 28". I'd like to set here up with a good, light gravel grinder that (obviously) will fit her well for 50 to 100 mile gravel road trips and was thinking more of a CX type geometry.

Fit is everything, but I'd like to solicite some suggestions from you smaller riders for possible bikes and options. I'd love to put her on a 50cm Titanium Vaya, but I'm concerned about it's size. The Crux looks great, too.

My "have to haves" are light weight and disc brakes.

Thanks.

Cc

Kernyl
    Dec 2011
    A cross bike sounds like a good choice although disc breaks are just coming into vogue in cross, so you might have to get into a higher end bike if it is a must have. But you might as well get your girl the best right?
    I have a Cannondale CaadX that I use for racing cross (no disc brakes) and I really like it. I'm not particularly short at 5'6, but I have some interesting geometry so I tend to ride small bikes. Mine is a 44.
    I used to have a Kona Dr. Dew commuterish type bike that had disc breaks and I actually used it the first year I rode cross. But it was heavy lifting it over those barriers! But as long as she's not carrying her bike around, it's an option I suppose.
    Really the only way you'll know for sure what size works for her is to get her into the shop, measured, and on a test ride.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I don't think a rigid CX bike is going to inspire confidence. Perhaps a light weight 650B Jamis or KHS is the answer? Big wheels are great for the beginning rider. They roll right over everything and a little suspension will make her feel way more confident. Plus, its easier on the body and hands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You know...I'm starting to lean that direction myself.

Advice from friends suggests something like a Salsa Mamasita, Trek Superfly or Specialized Stumpjumper, so I'm doing some more thinking.

Thanks for the great advice.

Cc

see me rollin, they hatin
    you could get a light hardtail with suspension, but swap out the MTB tires to something with less tread/skinnier, but youd still have the MTB tires in case she wants to hit trails. I find that steel is more comfortable than aluminum, though you usually have to pay more for light steel. For instance, i have a steel road frame, but flat bars and fatter tires to make it more versatile and stable. It also has disc brakes (Its a Gunnar, btw).
    fap