mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New bike already breaking - is this really normal?

So after years of riding a hardtail XC for trails and XC and riding a downhill bike in bike parks, I bought a new bike. I am doing a 2 day ride and I really thought a new bike will give me confidence and help me improve my riding.

Took it in for its first tune up after just one month - they charged me for cutting the seat post and handle bars even though on the purchase date I was told they would fit the bike to me perfectly - no matter how many times I needed to bring it in (I assumed this was a free service. I guess I was wrong). They had to replace some cable and housing. I asked why. He said, "You must have put it down." I said, "So I can't put my bike down?" Then he said that cable gets corroded - I don't live on the ocean. Does stuff normally corrode in a month? Also they had to put change the direction of the back tire. When I pushed for an explanation on this it turns out when they set up the tubeless they set it up wrong. All in all - I'm not really impressed. I could ride my old Kona hard and I never had to do much but a yearly tune-up. The guy at the store is telling me this is normal for 'High-performance' bikes. Is my Saphire Comp. really high-performance? Because I'm not some elite athlete. I wanted something reliable.

I also feel like I'm being talked down to. I'm sorry but between my new bike and my husband's we spent over 6000. Also, his lock out feature doesn't work (after just a month) and we're told it has to be sent away for warranty. Again - sales guy says this is normal. Is it really?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by Ann of BC View Post
    So after years of riding a hardtail XC for trails and XC and riding a downhill bike in bike parks, I bought a new bike. I am doing a 2 day ride and I really thought a new bike will give me confidence and help me improve my riding.

Took it in for its first tune up after just one month - they charged me for cutting the seat post and handle bars even though on the purchase date I was told they would fit the bike to me perfectly - no matter how many times I needed to bring it in (I assumed this was a free service. I guess I was wrong). They had to replace some cable and housing. I asked why. He said, "You must have put it down." I said, "So I can't put my bike down?" Then he said that cable gets corroded - I don't live on the ocean. Does stuff normally corrode in a month? Also they had to put change the direction of the back tire. When I pushed for an explanation on this it turns out when they set up the tubeless they set it up wrong. All in all - I'm not really impressed. I could ride my old Kona hard and I never had to do much but a yearly tune-up. The guy at the store is telling me this is normal for 'High-performance' bikes. Is my Saphire Comp. really high-performance? Because I'm not some elite athlete. I wanted something reliable.

I also feel like I'm being talked down to. I'm sorry but between my new bike and my husband's we spent over 6000. Also, his lock out feature doesn't work (after just a month) and we're told it has to be sent away for warranty. Again - sales guy says this is normal. Is it really?
    Bad, bad shop.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Horrible shop, I'd get the name of the Specialized rep (or whatever brand) in your area and let him know how you've bee treated. He may be able to help make it right.
    Randy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Bad, bad shop.
    No, it is a really, really, really, bad, bad, shop. ):

I would also ask to speak directly with the shop manager. If that does not get you anywhere I would recommend calling Specialized and seeing what they can do to take care of you. If none of that works, and this sounds crazy, I would come back here and name names. Not surprisingly, that will get their attention and get things moving.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Nothing to be said that hasn't been said. "bad shop" is right.
    Where are you? Make some noise on the Western Canada board, too.

The guy at the store is telling me this is normal for 'High-performance' bikes. Is my Saphire Comp. really high-performance? Because I'm not some elite athlete. I wanted something reliable.

edit, I ride an 08 FSR Expert WSD ( the year before the Saphire came out) - haven't broken much of anything yet.
    So "high end bikes break" is BS.
    Last edited by formica; 08-06-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Nothing to be said that hasn't been said. "bad shop" is right.
    Where are you? Make some noise on the Western Canada board, too.
    And the Specialized board. And if you don't get anything, name names everywhere.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Name the shop now so people will stay away from it.

Joel
    2013 Trek Fuel EX 7
    IMBA Member

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ann of BC View Post
    ...they charged me for cutting the seat post and handle bars even though on the purchase date I was told they would fit the bike to me perfectly
    ...they had to replace some cable and housing. I asked why. He said, "You must have put it down." I said, "So I can't put my bike down?" Then he said that cable gets corroded - I don't live on the ocean.
    .... Also they had to put change the direction of the back tire. When I pushed for an explanation on this it turns out when they set up the tubeless they set it up wrong.
    I guess if you *asked* them to cut down the seat post and handlebars when you came back that might be considered above and beyond and you could work something out, but.... I just can't possibly come up with an excuse for the latter two here. Holy crap, every bike I own is dumped down in the bed of my truck, on the trail, in piles of brush, etc etc etc and I've never heard of something like that with cables. And the back tire they should have caught right away but that's their own stupid fault and they SHOULD NOT charge nor hassle you for fixing that.

... Also, his lock out feature doesn't work (after just a month) and we're told it has to be sent away for warranty.
    OK, crap happens with components that they don't have direct control over, yay for warranty...

....Again - sales guy says this is normal. Is it really?
    ...BUT CRAP HAPPENING IS NOT 'NORMAL'. It's frustrating and is on the manufacturer to fix, hence the warranty claim.

There's often two sides to a story, but so far they've got a whole lotta 'splainin' to do before I'd want to throw them some bones.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Whoa... sorry to hear of all your issues I can't really say much that the others haven't already said, so I'll just reinforce it... uber bad shop, get ahold of Specalized, and find a better shop!

I have a "high end" Specialized bike ('13 Epic Expert) and I put over 500 miles on the bike over about 8 months (nearly all racing and beating the crap out of it) before I had any cable issues - just noticed last week I frayed the rear shifter cable near the shifter lever. No corrosion (granted I am in a very very very dry climate), and my bike is always getting thrown around and abused, so I have a hard time believing what they told you regarding your cables. And definitely the tire thing is on them, not you since they set it up!

Components break/stop working/etc, but still just seems like your shop as some underlying sketchy practices.