Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help - bent rims

825 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MichH 
#1 ·
Hi ladies

Wasn't sure where to post this, but I was sure I'd get good advice from my fellow 'fairer sex' riders!

I went out for a ride on new trails yesterday. I had a front wheel washout on a dip (understandable as I was trying to pull my line further left in off camber loose dirt before the steep uphill). But then I went down again near the end of the ride. No apparent reason, smooth, well packed singletrack. I was turning for a corner when I had another front wheel washout.

Analysis: Someone commented that my front fork (marzocchi) seemed to be locked out (I have no lockout option), so it might be sticking and causing unreliable cornering.
Option 2: Could've just been rider error as I was really tired and it was very hot out.

Anyway, I went down at about 25km/hr and bent both rims. I can't work out how exactly I bent them both (front bent to the right, back bent to the left, I went down left). Unfortunately, my LBS says they are not salvageable.

I ride a Commencal Meta 5.5 and I seem to ride the bike hard (cushion my body by working the bike). My options are:
Keep my Alex hubs which don't seal well and the cones are already pitting (extra cost when I need to rebuild later)
Buy Hope hubs and build up on Mavic 819 tubeless rims (will need to buy new tyres)
Buy Hope hubs and build up on DT 5.1 rims (will need to buy new Stan's conversion rim tape).

Any thoughts on what made me fall? Any thoughts on what rims/ hubs I should buy?

See less See more
#5 ·
Sandan, my LBS said if we go tubeless (Mavic 823's), then there's the cost of the new tyres.

So it looks like I'll stay with the Stan's conversion (what i'm running at the moment with Crossmark tyres) but i'll need to buy new rimtape. The DT 5.1's are literally half the price (I'm based in South Africa) and I need to get everything built up by Friday for a trip we're doing to ride some slickrock (don't get too excited, it's not quite as grand as Moab looks!)

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you all know how it goes down.

#6 ·
MichH said:
Sandan, my LBS said if we go tubeless (Mavic 823's), then there's the cost of the new tyres.

So it looks like I'll stay with the Stan's conversion (what i'm running at the moment with Crossmark tyres) but i'll need to buy new rimtape. The DT 5.1's are literally half the price (I'm based in South Africa) and I need to get everything built up by Friday for a trip we're doing to ride some slickrock (don't get too excited, it's not quite as grand as Moab looks!)

You can run "normal" tires on tubeless rims. I and plenty of folks I rie with do that. We just put the stan's liquid in to seal the tire(s). You don't need the stans rim tape or rim strip if your rims are tubeless. But if the 5.1 are so much less expensive well, that's another thing.
Have slickrock fun!

#7 ·
MichH said:

MichH the Crossmarks might be your problem. I have them on my Trance, love them for racing, hate them for anything else, they seem to wash out very, very easily in corners.
Try the Knobbly Nics as a front tyre.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.