mtbr member
    Nov 2013

My new ride - juliana furtado

Hi everyone, just wanting to share I picked up my new bike last weekend and am LoVING it! Here is a pic
    My new ride - juliana furtado-image.jpg
    Its a Juliana Furtado, its a 650b, has 130mm fox float forks, vpp suspension and 125mm rear fox factory ctd shock. Full shimano XT drive terrain and breaks, I did get the shop to fit it with a 2 x 10 instead of 3 x 10 as comes standard. The bike has narrow grips, which I have found great as my hands are pretty small, it feels like I can grip better now.

My previous bike was a Cube AMS WLS pro, 26" 110mm travel,which I also love, but wanted a bit more travel than it offered, without going to a full all mountain rig. The wheel size change is noticable for me, it makes rocky climbs much easier, it climbs like a mountain goat I am also really loving the XT shifters, particularly the ability to multiple shift, its cool.

I was initially a little worried about pedal strike after reading reviews on the 5010 (solo) which I have read is its main downfall, but I took it on a really rocky run yeaterday and didnt strike once! I used to strike on my cube a fair bit, maybe it just has more clearance than my cube, or maybe the shorter cranks on the furtado make a difference vs the 5010. Dunno but definately not a problem for me now.

Anyway sorry for the long post, guess Im just a tad excited! Cant wait to take it out again!

Dudette
    ^ Nice ride! Now get it dirty and let's see some action shots
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    Congrats Grubbygirl! Love Juli, hope you love her bike! Curious what your lowest gear combo is in the 2 x 10.

pin it
    Nice bike. I'm curious what you think about 650b and what kind of trails you ride.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    awesome!!!! I would have gone with a Juli, but they came out right after I picked up my Superlight 29 Beautiful ride you have!

Team Chilidog!
    We need action shots. It's a requirement, really

Quite a beautiful ride. I'd really like to see how the Juliana line does. As much as I criticise WSD, I really like the idea of women's bikes from the ground up.

What size is your bike?

I ride small/x-small bikes (short reach), and I have to with slack head angled bikes or else I get toe overlap. With small frame and big feet, it's bound to happen. I think that's why I've gone to long travel bikes.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    My new ride - juliana furtado-image.jpgMy new ride - juliana furtado-image.jpgMy new ride - juliana furtado-image.jpg

Sorry they arent very good quality, they are screen shots from some gopro footage from a friend. I will aim to take some better shots n post them soon .

The type of trails here are very rocky, pretty loose and very dry. This section is a bolder garden and is the first time I had attempted riding it, in the past normally picked up the bike and carried it over this section of trail, but went out with some patient guys who showed me what line to take gave me tips on how to get through it. As you can see I made the tricky part n took a stack on the corner, but was super pumped to make it through. I was picking spinnefex out of my arms and legs all morning

I am riding a small frame (I am 164cm tall) and am finding the 27.5 wheels excellent. I am not sure what my smallest gear combo is, I will have to check and get back to you on that one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Very nice. I would have liked to have looked at the Juliana but wouldn't have fit me. I am sure you will enjoy.

Did you get a dropper seat post?

I was just reading the thread about dropper posts and am now rethinking that I should get one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    [

I was just reading the thread about dropper posts and am now rethinking that I should get one.[/QUOTE]

If you did, which one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepergirl17 View Post
    [

I was just reading the thread about dropper posts and am now rethinking that I should get one.
    If you did, which one?[/QUOTE]

I am thinking of the KS LEV Integra - has internal routing. Sometime this week I will take my bike over to the bike shop to see if it will fit. The shortest it comes in is 100mm. I think a 75 mm might be better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepergirl17 View Post
    [

If you did, which one?[/QUOTE]

It came standard with a rockshox reverb stealth. The bike has internal routing so it looks nice and neat. This is the only type of dropper I have used, I had the same one in my previous bike too. So far so good, easy to use, I use it all the time when I ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Some pics from todays ride

Technical rocky down, boys on either side ready to catch me incase I mess it up, luckily not needed this time

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  96.3 KB
    About roll down a big rock drop (well big for me), almost vertical, julie took it in her stride...

Just after the drop, was pretty pumped!

Next step... Learn to jump off it!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    so cool
    girl

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice Juliana!! I love mine!

I was looking for a cheap 29'r and bought the Juliana Origin Primiero last summer. I was/am quite surprised how much I love this bike. It really is super comfortable geometry wise! Though the first thing I did was take the bars off. I'm used to the thicker grip (my nails left marks in my palms!) and they weren't wide enough for my liking . The saddle is really good too.