mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Muddbunnies Calendar Release Party - Nov 2nd - North Van

Back by popular demand – British Columbia’s favourite dirty girls are tearing up the terrain, January through December, in the latest edition of their soon-to-be-world-famous calendar.

Get your calendars prior to the masses of humanity when you attend the 2013 Calendar Release Party which is scheduled for Friday, November 2, 2012. In addition to meeting and greeting the calendar models, you will be enjoy an evening of fun, frivolity and raffle prizes.

Tickets and information are available here.

AWESOME Raffle Prizes!
    *2 free tickets on Harbour Air for a round trip beetween Victoria and Vancouver
    *1 Entry into all of the Test of Metal series of races
    *1 Entry into the Capitol Forrest Classic Races (XC & Super D)
    *2 hour private lesson with Kat Sweet of Sweetlines
    *Coast Hotels Gift Certificate
    SoftRide Tailgate Pad
    Kali Full Face Helmets
    BC Bike Race Dakine Duffle Bags on Wheels
    BC Bike Race Jerseys / Socks
    8 pair of Ryders glasses from their 2013 line
    Kali Knee Pads
    Santa Cruz T-Shirts
    Santa Cruz Hoodies
    Fox Shorts size Medium
    Sombrio Gloves
    Shredley Shorts & Tee
    Gift Certificate from Delany's Coffee

Doors @ 7:30pm!

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Is this calendar for real?!?!

Dirty South Underdog
    Can we have more kickass and less ass, please?
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Unless the calendar is aimed at lesbians...
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    are women supposed to be interested in this???
    If its not a bumpy ride, I'm not interested.

the Dude memorial aviator
    Quote Originally Posted by andrea138 View Post
    can we have more kickass and less ass, please?
    +1.

(And yes, I realize that's hilarious considering my avator. Whatevs.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ha, thanks for the feedback ladies!

This calendar is of women RIDING bikes, not clad in bikinis. All "models" are from our grassroots race team and are riders just like all the women here. The Muddbunnies are serious about cycling and supporting women in the pursuit of this sport. Hence, the annual calendar which provides financial backing for the Muddbunnies grassroots race team.

The "ass" is advertising space that was purchased by a supporting brand. Not all months are like that. However I don`t see showing women riders as both shredders and pretty easy on the eyes as a bad thing. Here's another example month though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Last edited by muddbunnies-team; 11-06-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: link didn`t show

Dirty South Underdog
    Ok, I think I get it now... The ladies have their kickass photos above, but then the ad space can be the sexy side?
    I understand the need to get team funding (trust me, I really understand), but honestly, couldn't you tell the people buying ad space that this is a calendar that is about strong, beautiful women who deserve to be admired for just that rather than being drooled over like a piece of rare steak? You have control of what advertisers put in your calendar, right?

Bored Carp
    If Holley Mangold was on your team, what advertiser would you sell her page to?*

It is ok in our culture for marketing image to take precedent over accomplishment. As a bike industry marketing professional, I know that particular athletes or personalities will offer more to the brand based on looks. Your goal is to raise money for your team - y'all are adults, you get to do what you want, and it is hard to raise money for women's sports. The inherent sexuality of your team name reflects a clear understanding of this. You ought to just own it - "We sold custom pin-up style shots of our riders posing with advertiser product as a part of the profit plan - get over it". But please, don't lead with a headless/pantsless torso and then feign surprise when we question it in a Women's Forum. (not to mention fundraising on the forums, bit of an etiquette breach).

That said, there are larger questions about what role women athletes choose to take in our representation. We know that it isn't often the traditionally hot woman that shreds hardest. Danny Hart is no Daniel Craig, but his earning potential isn't based on his looks. As long as we have to represent amazing female athletes with the "and she's hot, too!" asterisk, we are not equal.

If as an attractive and successful female athlete, you understand that to garner the big sponsorship opportunities you will have to participate in "pinup style" marketing, is it really a choice? And as women's teams fight to garner support, are we doing more long term harm via perpetuating these problems?

We can make other choices and be successful. I have a lot of conversations with athletes about legacy. The question I ask is is, "When you google yourself, what do you want the image result to look like? How do you want to remember your accomplishments?" Pick a list of women that have made a name in cycling, and look at their Google image results - Mary McConneloug is a great example - she is one of the most consistently employed women in the sport, and every single image is of her riding or winning. This stuff will never go away - she will always be a smart, experienced athlete and future sponsors know this - she will be employable as long as she wants to be. You can google other athletes and see the difference in how they handle their media and sponsorship.

For those athletes who do trade on looks, what happens when that goes away? Or when they don't want to be that person anymore? If looks were the primary reason for sponsorship, do they have a job as they age? Are they forced to participate in pin-up shoots longer than they want to, because it has become a stronger legacy than their athletic accomplishments? Will their sponsors offer them post-retirement employment within the company as often happens with male athletes who have proven to be technically savvy or who are good ambassadors?

How does this come back to your calendar? Well, what happens to your long term fundraising when your riders are tired of this image? Or when there are enough copycat projects out there that this just doesn't have sponsorship appeal? Will starting over mean that you can't build on past fundraising success? Will your team's accomplishments as ambassadors have meaning without the booty?

I have friends at most of the companies that advertise in your calendar, and they are generally good supporters of women's cycling. They would advertise even if you only had the shredding pics, but you might not sell as many to the general wanker, so I understand your dilemma. I am not sure, though, that this group of women is really your audience, unless you are looking for dialogue.

Regards,
    Carla

*(I am not body-snarking Holley, she's a heck of an athlete, with a well documented struggle to pay for her sport, because her image is not traditionally marketable)
    Last edited by chuky; 11-06-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Dirty South Underdog