mtbr member
    Oct 2008

New question here. Looking for a skills class

I'm a middle aged newbie who loves technical singletrack. I've only been riding for 1 season. I would like to find a women's skills class so I can learn better technique.
    I've only been riding with the bf who doesn't help me at all. I've tried google searches but only come up with women specific classes in England and Wales!
    Can anybody recommend any mt biking skills courses in the US? I'm in WI, but willing to travel to learn.

mtbr member

Go Lakers!
    Gene Hamilton at www.betterride.net He has clinics all over the US and he is planning a clinic in the Southern California area in December. PM me for more information. I have taken his skills clinic and I highly recommend him!
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambolina
    Gene Hamilton at www.betterride.net He has clinics all over the US and he is planning a clinic in the Southern California area in December. PM me for more information. I have taken his skills clinic and I highly recommend him!
    +1 for Gene Hamilton. He has a great approach to teaching and you will learn a ton while having loads of fun.

Search on the forum for other's experiences with Gene.

Are we there yet?
    Gene Hamilton or Dirt Series (http://www.dirtseries.com/).

I've taken both and highly recommend either.
    The only competition is between ourselves and the person we are capable of becoming - C Aiken (my pilates instructor)

Go Lakers!
    I want to take a Dirt Series in Whistler next summer. I agree, either are good. The key to Gene's clinics is you have to practice the skills after the clinic, whether it is 5 minutes in the parking lot before you ride or you practice for a longer period with a friend. I am not as diligent about my skills practice and I definately notice a difference in my riding when I do not practice. Practice is key!

Good Luck!
    [SIZE="3"]Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift that's why they call it the present [/SIZE]

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    SE Michigan
    http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=74127&highlight=bow

I remember seing one for the west side of the state, but as we're eastsiders.

My wife took it this spring and said it was good. it was on our home trail and the instructor was her riding partner every Wendsday night so she already knew most of the material in her grade level.

I recall reading about one elsewhere in the midwest, but I cant recall at the moment.

She wanted to go one in Breckenridge too.

EDIT it is an anual clinic. I don't think next years date has been set yet.

Bike Jewelry Maker
    I so want to take an all women's skills class. I live near Raleigh, NC, but I haven't seen any in the area. I'm kinda bummed. I'm also impatient and want everything RIGHT NOW.

I don't mind driving to GA, SC, VA, TN...so hopefully something in one of those states or here in NC will come up soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anoki
    I'm a middle aged newbie who loves technical singletrack. I've only been riding for 1 season. I would like to find a women's skills class so I can learn better technique.
    I've only been riding with the bf who doesn't help me at all. I've tried google searches but only come up with women specific classes in England and Wales!
    Can anybody recommend any mt biking skills courses in the US? I'm in WI, but willing to travel to learn.
    Where in WI? I'm in northern Ill-Noize; we ride the John Muir trails lots, among other...anyway, there are skills clinics both at Kettle and there have been some at Blue Mound. There are tons of women who ride the dirt around here and most of us don't mind taking the newbies on a tour.
    I'll tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than any one thing in the world. I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike... - Susan B. Anthony 1896

Team Chilidog!
    Lee McCormack if he makes it to your area.

Otherwise, Dirt Series.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    +1 more for Gene Hamilton! www.betterride.net Gene is the man

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msrutzie
    Gene Hamilton or Dirt Series (http://www.dirtseries.com/).

I've taken both and highly recommend either.
    Same here - both are awesome!