mtbr member
    Jul 2011

looking for hardtail recos

any recommendations for women's hardtails? - we're particularly interested in 26" wheels with small/15" frame size for my wife and 14 year old daughter to use interchangeably (both are 5'3"). we'd consider 29er hardtails if sizing can work, but that has proven difficult to find to test, and 29ers are not as easy for my daughter to use in the trail. oddly, there are much fewer choices for 26er hardtails these days with decent components for women's bikes since most manufacturers have dedicated their efforts to 29ers. appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Dudette
    Are you looking to buy new, or used? Have you checked out Craigslist at all? You may find a nice bike a few years old that would fit the bill. Have they been fit yet? Do you know what works for them in regards to top tube and standover?

It looks like you're from Ontario? Have you checked out Misfit Psycles by any chance? I have one of their 29ers and love it. Of course you'd have to build it up, but it has a lot of standover room. I'll see what I can dig up for you...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    i've scoured kijiji and pinkbike, and have given up on finding something suitable that's "used" just because of it being so time consuming and hit/miss anyway on quality. a "new" bike is preferred, and higher end compenents with aluminum frame is desired. we are in Ontario. i have heard of Misfit but don't know anything about them (other than that they look nice), but 29ers have proven too difficult for my wife and daughter because of both frame fitting and wheel inertia at speed, so 26er is where we're focused. would greatly appreciate any specifics you point to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Trek has nice hardtails and the sizing generally runs small. I used to have a 4300, it had everything I needed when starting out. Other than that, you can't go wrong with a small STP.

Dudette
    You may also check out the Cannondale Trail Disc bikes.

There was a thread on the Endurance/XC Racing Forum asking about nice 26" hardtails, too. It was started in December.

Team Chilidog!
    Ventana still make the Chiqullio. A female friend of mine (CAT2 racer) just bought one. If you want to ask her opinion of it, please PM me.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD

mtbr member
    My wife has been riding a 14" Cotic Soul that we bought from the UK, we're in Canada. We've been riding for 20 years now, she says it's the best bike she has ridden so far. Not cheap but well worth it. I ride a Cotic Soul 16" myself...

Bored Carp
    I work for Niner, so grain of salt, etc. We do make a really nice entry level hardtail in size XS - the EMD 9 (we also offer our top of the line 100mm bike in XS, but it sounds like you are looking for something a bit simpler?) Helping small riders to take advantage of big wheels has been a bit of a passion project for me - just because we are not six feet tall doesn't mean we don't want the advantages of a larger diameter wheel. You can read a bit about it here, in a conversation I had with Sarai from Girl Bike Love. The article could be helpful, no matter what bike you go with.

Cheers,
    Carla
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My wife is 5'1" she did like the Trek wsd bikes. The Specialized Jett 29er and the 26er Mykla also rode well for her. However, in the end she had her old 13. Inch Schwinn Homegrown repainted and had a disc tab fabricated for it.
    Before she decided on keeping the tried and true homegrown, she was seriously considering an On One 14 inch as the geometery looks prefect for a shorter person.
    Also. I'm 5'3 and ride a Jamis Dragon xs and it is awesome.
    Maybe she and should start a short people mtb bike website