mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Looking for an entry level women specific full sus in xs

I'm looking for my first full suspension bike but I'm tight on budget and the other problem is my inseam is only about 26"-27" give or take. I really love Scott bikes but when I tried the smallest size which is an S, it was clearly too big for me as the standover height is almost 30" even though the bike is pretty small. I was really disappointed because I really fell in love with the bike and it is 50% off.

I know pivot and yeti makes xs frames but they are way too expensive. Apart from giant, trek which makes slopping tube are there any other bikes that fits my criteria?
    Last edited by vertika; 1 Day Ago at 08:26 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Not sure what your budget is, Juliana full suspension come in XS and start at $2099 for the new ones...

Juliana Bicycles | The Best Women's Mountain Bikes

It looks nice too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Looking for an entry level women specific full sus in xs-purplejuliana.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Not sure what your budget is, Juliana full suspension come in XS and start at $2099 for the new ones...

Juliana Bicycles | The Best Women's Mountain Bikes

It looks nice too...
    Their XS has a 27.13" standover which might be an issue with the Juliana.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Standover is a dimension for flat floor bike shops. Trails just aren't flat.
    Seated and standing cockpit reach tells you what it is like to ride the bike. You get on the bike by standing on a pedal and lean to pop off to one side or use the pedal again. You may not find a bike with a low enough top tube and the right cockpit dimensions.
    Take your time getting familiar with the procedure to get on and off that Scott and then ride it in and out of ditches and on the grass. See if the riding fit is right or can be adjusted with a different stem or seat movement. It could be a great riding bike.

mtbr member
    Not sure why you are discounting Giant and Trek, they are likely your best options in this 29er-crazed (and now 27.5-crazed) industry. The bigger wheels have not helped with bike fit for shorter riders. Look at the Giant Lust 3, which comes in XS with a 25.7" standover. The Juliana from Santa Cruz used to be a real womens-specific bike but now is just marketing fluff - different colors and graphics, but identical frames to the mens version. No geometry differences. You'll be hard-pressed to find any 29ers with low enough standover and at your pricepoint the wheels are likely to be boat anchors anyway.

The Trek Lush also comes in an XS with a 27.2" standover, but I'd give the nod to the Giant as the better peddler and the better bargain. Good luck in your search. My wife is 5'1" and standover has always been an issue for her. She's now on an XS Pivot Mach 5.7, which is both out of your price range and may be discontinued in XS from what I hear. Great bike, though.

One more choice, that still uses 26" wheels, is the Norco Fluid 6.2 Forma with a 27.2" standover height. It even comes with 170mm cranks, which are a better size for shorter riders than the standard 175mm. Very good entry-level price as well.

To some, standover is a non-issue, but to others, it's a deal-breaker. Up to you as to whether or not having a lower standover will give you more confidence on the trail when things get dicey. I'd have to say, though, that a 30" standover for someone with a 27" inseam doesn't seem too safe.

Good luck in your search.