mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Looking for a bike for my Wife

My wife is interested in starting to ride with me, but doesnt want to spend too much on a bike. We are looking at under 1k. We have looked at both "mens" and women specific models. I'm more interested in finding a bike that she finds the most comfortable than getting a women only model. The only thing I'm worried about is the front fork, to me it seems like if its not an air shock, it might not work for her since they are generally setup for a heavier rider. Shes about 120 and 5'6".
    We have looked at the specialized Jett base model, Giant Talon 29er 0 in small and the GT Zaskar Sport in small. The zaskar comes with an air shock which I liked since they are a bit more customizeable for weight.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Also, she has a 31" inseam

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    She needs to test ride some bikes ,any demo days in your area? Some shops have rentals ,ask around ,any friends that you could borrow a bike from? The more she tries the better she'll know what she likes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    All of the bikes I mentioned she did test ride, but only in the parking lot. No demo bikes anywhere at the moment. She liked all of the bikes and didn't notice a huge difference since its just in the parking lot.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Forunately she falls in the range where the height/reach is not as hard to find a fit on. I would lean toward something less than a 29, but the Giant and GT are both decent models and the wheel size is preference. As a lighter/smaller rider I would lean more toward a 650B or 26" for proportional size and handling.

While I agree with you on the air shock topic, it should also be kept in mind that the overall weight should be watched too. The lighter the rider the lighter the bike should be to retain a comparable feel(in perspective). Of course that is within reason, just keep it in mind when comparing within a bracket.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest