Don't worry, be happy!

Dudette
    Woo hoo! I was out of the loop for several days and am just catching up on all the happenings! Sure hope I get a chance to demo the Hail!
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    No chatter about this yet? I'm itching to see more info on these, particularly geometry and components of the aluminum versions.
    MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    A vid, some photos, nothing substantial yet.

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016
    Yeah, the press release they sent to MTBR was sparse on actual details. I called to try and get more information, but no luck. During the course of conversation, they did state that the new models have unique geometries to Liv. They're not rebranded Giant's. For example, the Hail will have a 66 degree HA. The current Reign has a 65 degree HA.

I'm working on some interview questions for Liv now, so hopefull we'll more substantial info later this week!

Don't worry, be happy!
    Even the stores and reps don't have much details right now. It seems they are squeaking out little bits of info at a time.

they did state that the new models have unique geometries to Liv. They're not rebranded Giant's.
    This is nothing new... that's been Liv's whole premise since the beginning.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Even the stores and reps don't have much details right now. It seems they are squeaking out little bits of info at a time.

This is nothing new... that's been Liv's whole premise since the beginning.
    Yup, which I like. They're not simply using the unisex frames with women's touch points. I demo'd the Intrigue SX last year and thought it felt great. But, I'm super stoked to see the extended travel on the Hail and slacker HTA. I've been wanting something more aggressive for quite a while. Hope I get to demo this puppy soon!
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    You know that Formica only posted this to torture you Petey
    LOL, I know, right?
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    i sent an email to Giant last week asking about geometries and specs. No luck.

Most of the men's geometry bikes have such short seat tubes that I've too much exposed seat post. Also want more stack. I think Juliana would work, but I don't want to spend that much. Also hopeful the aluminum version is available with a higher end component group, or even better, as a frameset.
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    i sent an email to Giant last week asking about geometries and specs. No luck.

Most of the men's geometry bikes have such short seat tubes that I've too much exposed seat post. Also want more stack. I think Juliana would work, but I don't want to spend that much. Also hopeful the aluminum version is available with a higher end component group, or even better, as a frameset.
    Yeah, I find it aggravating they only release little snippets of information at a time. Seems like when other manufacturers release a new bike, they give you all the details at the same time. I agree - I hope the aluminum versions offer nice groupos, too.
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    Liv site is updated and they've posted the new bikes and spec and geometry info:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...s/off-road/53/
    Woot woot!!
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    All I can say, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger (well, I coudn't afford it anyway, lol) on an Intrigue SX. I like the changes they made with the Hail - longer TT, shorter chainstays, more travel, slacker HTA. I cannot wait to get a chance to demo!
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    All I can say, I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger (well, I coudn't afford it anyway, lol) on an Intrigue SX. I like the changes they made with the Hail - longer TT, shorter chainstays, more travel, slacker HTA. I cannot wait to get a chance to demo!
    Love that aluminum is available with every model. Seems like the stack is quite short for these bikes. I really need a good demo. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? What size do you think you'd need?
    2015 Surly Krampus SS
    2013 CAADX 105
    2012 Pinarello Quattro
    2002 Zurich LeMond

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Love that aluminum is available with every model. Seems like the stack is quite short for these bikes. I really need a good demo. Out of curiosity, how tall are you? What size do you think you'd need?
    I'm 5'4"ish. I believe I'd take a small - I demo'd a small in the Intrigue SX last year. I noticed the TT got longer - which I think might feel pretty good? Standover is less than the Intrigue's was...but don't think that'd be an issue for me.
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yaaaaas just came here to post that link! What a rad video!

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by ryetoast View Post
    Yaaaaas just came here to post that link! What a rad video!
    Isn't it? I feel they should do a lot more of those - if they want to market their bikes as being aggressive, show them in their element!
    MTB4Her.com

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the video, good stuff!

Dudette
    Muirenn, actually, after checking out the geometry more closely on the Hail, I think I'd actually be an xs? The lengthened the top tube and reach quite a bit. It's actually really close to the small Juliana. I'm surprised it's that much bigger? Not sure if they are compensating for a shorter stem? The reach on the xs is almost 16", which is quite a bit longer than the 14" reach the xs SX had last year. Seems like a big jump? Like that the chainstay is shorter, and wheelbase longer, but wow, this seems long? I demo'd the small SX last year and thought it felt really good - maybe a little short? Going by those numbers then would seem to put me solidly in the xs range.
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    So, I FB'd Liv and they responded back they'd recommend a size small for me in the Hail as they say it's for someone who is between 5'3" and 5'6". I'm 5'4"...so technically, that'd be me. They also said it'd depend on my torso to leg ratio. I have a local shop, but I don't know if they'd even get a Hail in their inventory to demo. I'll have to check it out...
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    Liv site is updated and they've posted the new bikes and spec and geometry info:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...s/off-road/53/
    Woot woot!!
    I'm deciding between current intrigue and new Pique for a female friend but pretty frustrated as geometry numbers can't be right. 70deg headangle on the new Pique?? It even says so in the official dealer PDF!

LIV 2017 line up just announced.-uploadfromtaptalk1471159593606.jpg

if the Pique is supposed to succeed the Intrigue it has to be at least 68°

not splitting hairs here but who's gonna buy a trail bike in 2017 with a ~2007 geometry

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    I'm deciding between current intrigue and new Pique for a female friend but pretty frustrated as geometry numbers can't be right. 70deg headangle on the new Pique?? It even says so in the official dealer PDF!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1471159593606.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	1087964

if the Pique is supposed to succeed the Intrigue it has to be at least 68°

not splitting hairs here but who's gonna buy a trail bike in 2017 with a ~2007 geometry
    I know - I noticed that, too. Big change in top tube, reach and standover on the Hail from the Intrigue SX. Now I'm debating between an xs and s. Liv suggested a small for me, but it seems that might be a bit of a stretch for me. Not sure when/where I would get a chance to demo anytime soon...
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    if you're in between sizes it's nearly impossible to decide without proper testriding. Many small nuances in geometry together can make a bike feel completely different so geometry numbers alone can be misleading.

That being said in case of doubt I'd take the larger bike as feeling cramped is far worse than "riding a bus"

Don't worry, be happy!
    I've been advised to always go down,not up,when in doubt.

FWIW, as my shop explained to me, the Pique SX is the replacement for the intrigue,but not the regular pique which is more of a XC bike.

mtbr member
    I've been advised to always go down,not up,when in doubt.

FWIW, as my shop explained to me, the Pique SX is the replacement for the intrigue,but not the regular pique which is more of a XC bike.
    Sorry but thats a lame advice for bikes like the Intrigue/Pique that already come stock with pretty long stems, imagine being on a bike too short and forced to run a 100mm stem

and you're right, according to Giants press release the Pique SX is intended to succeed the Intrigue which is a bad replacement IMO, 20mm less rear travel and steeper geometry, fail.

The Intrigue was perfect middle ground like the best selling Trance is at Giants mens line, they wouldn't discontinue that trying to replace it with the Anthem SX either!

mtbr member
    I just double checked and geometry numbers of the new Pique model seem legit.

Maybe LIV is gonna release another bike in the coming weeks but for now there's a huge gap in 2017 LIVs full suspension line up. The closest you can get to an "All Mountain / Trailbike" is the Pique SX which is simply a XC bike with a longer fork put inside.

To be honest, if I was a woman I wouldn't bother and buy the new Hail 1 right away as it matches my Trance SX and looks stunning gorgeous but many female riders out there don't wanna settle on such a beast in the first place which I can understand

We're now trying to get a 2016 LIV Intrigue 1, they've still many of them in stock here in Europe and offer huge discounts. I intend to open a LIV Intrigue owners thread similar to the very popular Giant Trance thread once it arrives to share more infos and pics

mtbr member
    Sorry but thats a lame advice for bikes like the Intrigue/Pique that already come stock with pretty long stems, imagine being on a bike too short and forced to run a 100mm stem
    My GF is 5'6" and pretty much every salesperson tried to shoehorn her on to a small...which was too short. Every small she tried...she told me that the bar felt real close to her knees. Then the salesperson would tell her that she can slide the saddle back and get a longer stem. I told her hell no.

She got a medium (Stumpjumper 6Fattie) and I replaced the 60mm stem with a 50mm. Her saddle is just about centered on the seat rails.

Dudette
    Anyone have a chance to demo the Hail yet? Thoughts?
    MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    my shop won't have until October

Dudette
    my shop won't have until October
    I have zero chance to demo anything around here...unless my shop gets some in to demo in October - that'd be nice.
    MTB4Her.com

Dudette
    Anyone get a chance to demo one of these in person yet? It's October...
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    I'm a 5'11" dude who shortly sat on a Hail 1 size S last month and liked it

Dudette
    I'm a 5'11" dude who shortly sat on a Hail 1 size S last month and liked it
    5'11" on a size small?? Um, so at 5'4", I guess I'd be on an xs. Wow.
    MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    5-11 dude? I smell a troll.

mtbr member
    ok let me elaborate:

I'm a 5'11" dude who just bought a Intrigue 1 size M for a 5'7" girl.
    Quick picture:

On a test event last month I sat (just for the fun of it) on a size S Hail 1 (yes the frame is obviously too small but I wanted to compare how the steering feels compared to my Trance SX)

here is a quick picture I took:

I weighted the bike myself at 14.4kg with the pedals shown on the picture, it comes with the same (heavy) P-AM2 wheelset I have on my Trance SX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    ok let me elaborate:

I'm a 5'11" dude who just bought a Intrigue 1 size M for a 5'7" girl.
    Quick picture:

+10000 bonus points for honky horn. I hope she races it and honks at soon-to-be-vanquished competitors

Don't worry, be happy!
    alrighty: I demo'ed the Hail 1 for three days last week. This is the higher spec'ed aluminum version.

My riding style is trail/all mountain, lots of pedaling and descending, some tech. I am NOT an enduro racer, too darn slow on the descents.

I really, really, REALLY wish they had had an Hail Advanced to try. Right off the bat this particular bike is 5+ lbs heavier than my current ride which is an Intrigue 1.

What I liked: overall very comfortable out of the box fit for me. The 160 on the front is super plush, and the additional slack makes for a really smooth, stable descent. On the steeps it was divine. Handling on corners and switchbacks was very easy. I did one super tech old school climbing trail that has steep S corners going up and I was surprised at how well it handled those. I did a little jumping and a little dropping, and the suspension differences over the stock Intrigue suspension are substantial. There's lots better feedback and it feels way snappier. So snappy in fact that I got completely taken by surprise on one of the baby table tops which ended in a spectacular if harmless fail:

LIV 2017 line up just announced.-img_7529.jpgLIV 2017 line up just announced.-vttd5634.jpg

The minuses: the Hail 1 is way heavier than my current ride. Between the weight and the gearing I thought it climbed like a pig on anything but the most gentle grades. I thought maybe it was just me but I had my friend ride it up one of the steeper pitches that was way too much work and she agreed 100%. It probably has something to do with gearing as my Intrigue is a 22/40 for my lowest gear on a 2x10 which is custom in the granny, not stock; the Hail 1 is 30/42,stock. This is my main complaint, climbing performance. Geometry for climbing felt fine. I have to mention the stock saddle is really unpleasant.

I really wish I could have demoed the Hail Advanced. As it stands now, I would not buy it unless I knew that the weight/gearing issue was going to work for me. When I'm pedaling miles and miles of trail at 6000' elevation, I do not want to work any harder than I absolutely need to. The different suspension was a revelation. I thought I would love this bike, and for a while considered ordering the Advance 1, but then I'd want to put carbon wheels on it (looooove my carbon wheels) and then it starts turning into a whole bunch of money.

Yesterday I was back on my Intrigue and the rear shock, just back from a factory rebuild, blew up on the way down. As in, oil pouring out everywhere to the point where I thought my camelback hose was leaking. Lucky for me, LBS owner was at the bottom of the trail and we had a long chat about bikes. What I think I'm going to do now is to turn my Intrigue into the SX setup with a suspension change out and possibly a switch to a 1x set up. The 2x is working great - no complaints. The bike super light and I love how it handles. I think setting it up with a 160-130 will make it the perfect bike for me. LBS guy was saying he was kind of surprised they didn't make the Intrigue carbon.

Dudette
    ^ THANK YOU, Formica!! I've been hoping we'd hear from you on this one sometime soon . Very good, honest review and you addressed the the points that concerned me the most (without having the benefit of actually getting to ride one) - weight and gearing/climbing ability. I don't climb a ton...but we definitely have some good hills to slog up and as it is, I'm already the last of the pack. I'm surprised and disappointed in the weight increase and the gearing? What - were they anticipating this bike would mostly be used at a bike park? If so, they have a BIG gap in the trail category. I would have been super happy with an update on the Intrigue SX - 160/140 seems like a great place to be in regards to travel. Even if they had kept the Intrigue at 140/140 and just updated the geometry a tad and slackened out the HTA, that would have been awesome. Not sure why they did this? I'm really disappointed - 5# is a lot. And I most definitely don't want to climb on a 30T ring.
    So, any other suggestions for something comparable? Maybe I'll have to look at the Trance...
    MTB4Her.com

Don't worry, be happy!
    Here's the thing as explained by LBS guy. When you put the 160 on the the intrigue it takes the head angle to 67 (66.9) instead of 68, at least in my size, which puts it closer to the angle on the Hail, which would give me the handling I'm looking for.
    I see no need for the Intrigue frame to be tweaked. I just want the whole package in composite.

that being said, I bet the $8000 Hail climbs like a dream.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Last comment for now.
    I went to see my friend who is the local LIV ambassador and NW pro.
    She is getting the Hail 1 in Feb, and I'll ride the composite version then. I am also borrowing her SX while my bike is in the shop. That will be cool to try the intrigue frame with different (bigger) suspension. I tried her composite Lust today just for grins, lots of fun and ohhhh that carbon damping feels so different. We ride the exact same size so it's really cool. No adjustments needed.

fka littlebird
    Hmmm, glad to hear your take on the Hail, Formica. Wanting to demo one for sure, but poor climbing performance is an absolute dealbreaker for me...

Don't worry, be happy!
    If you can demo composite, it may be a whole different game. I can't wait to try the composite this spring.

9 lives
    First Liv Store in Canada to Open in Vancouver, Thursday January 12, 2017

LIV 2017 line up just announced.-p4pb14302620.jpg

Liv Vancouver is excited to announce the first store of its kind in Canada. A bicycle boutique featuring Liv brand bikes, as well as accessories, clothing and a customer experience tailored to the female rider, Liv Vancouver aims to open its doors this Thursday at noon, with an official Grand Opening scheduled for February 17.

For store owner and avid cyclist Anne-Marie Gagnon, Liv Vancouver is the opportunity of a lifetime. “It's my dream shop,” she said. “Clean, organized, classy, welcoming, with friendly, knowledgeable staff and good coffee… it’s everything I would want from a bike shop as a customer.”

Gagnon recognizes the growing women’s market in bicycles and she is eager to create a bicycle retail experience that meets the needs of women like her – active women seeking high end products that offer quality, performance, style and comfort.

“I want this store to be as high end and professional as the best bike store you may know, but focusing on women's needs,” she said, adding that the store will offer the largest selection of women's bikes of all types, applications and sizes in the city. In addition to Liv brand bikes, clothing and accessories, the store will stock quality women’s products, such as helmets, shoes, saddles and eyewear, from complementary brands.The vision for the shop does not end at gearing up customers with the best equipment. Gagnon also hopes her retail location will become a hub for women’s cycling – a comfortable place where female cyclists can gather to share their two-wheeled experiences, talk and learn about bikes over coffee, as well as ride together. She intends to offer a variety of clinics, rides and events as part of her effort to grow the sport among women. She has already purchased a high end espresso maker to get things rolling, as she appreciates the inextricable link between coffee and cycling culture.

“Cycling has brought me so much joy and so many adventures over the years,” said Gagnon, who just returned from a month-long bike packing trip through New Zealand. “I would like to help other women create their own memorable experiences with bikes. I want to share the freedom a bicycle can bring.”

Gagnon is incredibly experienced in the industry, growing up as the daughter of a sports store owner in Quebec, and later taking over from her father. After selling the family business to her brother, she opened her first bike store in Montreal – Giant Bicycle’s first concept store in Canada and a success from the start. When Giant Canada offered her the chance to take over its Vancouver location in 2013, she jumped at the chance, selling the Montreal store and moving across the country. With her expertise, Giant Vancouver quickly became a success. The new Liv Vancouver store is located right next to Giant Vancouver in the city’s popular West 4th shopping district.

Gagnon has opened an online survey to give her potential clients a voice in how the store will take shape and allow them to weigh in on the types of products and services that they would like to see offered. Respondents are eligible for an in-store discount. Find the survey here.

Applications from friendly and knowledgeable bike enthusiasts with previous retail experience are still being accepted to fill sales and customer service positions.
    Liv Vancouver – Liv Beyond – Cycling for Women

Sauce: First Liv Store in Canada to Open in Vancouver, Thursday - Pinkbike

Wishing the store success and Toronto location is next
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a sizing question for those of you that might have demoed a Pique. I am going to buy my wife a Pique as a surprise gift. She is pregnant with our second child and as a show of gratitude for the hard work she will do carrying the baby I would like to get her a new bike. She is fit, but not confident technically, and I am thinking the 120 mm of travel of the Pique will give her a little more ability to just go over the bumps that she currently tries to avoid. We are in the Midwest , so we don't have a need for more than 120mm of travel.
    She is 5'05" and normally weighs about 140-145. Looking at the Geomety charts, it looks like her current bike (Orbea Occam , 26 inch wheel, 16 inch frame) falls directly between the Liv small and medium. Her Orbea has a 90 mm stem ( I believe) and a seatpost with about 15 mm of setback. I am guessing a Medium with a short stem and a zero setback post will be a good fit, but was wondering what those of you that have ridden them thought about sizing. Thank you in advance.