mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Lets talk about men's shoes

Any women have any experience wearing men's shoes instead of the WSD shoes?

The reason I ask is I am kind of interested in the Mavic Fury shoes which are for men and was curious about the difference in fit. I have heard a lot of good things about these shoes and since there's not an exact women's version that kind of sucks.

I have a big foot for a woman and I feel it's fairly flat so I guess that makes me think a men's shoe might work. I was just looking for any ladies who have been through this?

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'm in a boys' Teva as all the mens' (and ladies') shoes were too big, but I don't think that's going to help you.

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with wearing men's athletic shoes if they fit properly. Girls have been wearing boys' Converse shoes for decades. I wear guys' Specialized mtb shoes because the wsd version pinches my toes.
    Never give up, never surrender.

the Dude memorial aviator
    I'm wearing men's Vans. (There's a thread around somewhere.) Pick shoes like you'd pick your bike - get what fits .

Oh, and red shoes go faster.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

Moderator Moderator
    I'm not familiar with the Fury's, but I've had a lot of men's shoes (bike & not) that fit fine. If you can't try them on you may be able to get some guidance from fit comments in the reviews at sites that sell them, such as if they run wide, tight in toes, etc., that will help you tell how likely they are to work for you. I tend to order by the euro size (I'm about 40) as it is unisex and seems more consistent between brands than the US mens/womens sizing.

Dudette
    I'm wearing men's FiveTen Spitfires and love them. I wear a 39 European which is like a 6.5 men's and they feel great. I agree, WSD tend to feel a bit too tight/narrow especially if I want to wear heavier socks in cooler weather. I like a wider toe box, too, and men's just feel better to me. I should mention I ride flat pedals. Lots more shoes available for men anyway.
    MTB4Her.com

mtbr member
    I have to wear men's shoes (even men's ski boots) or my toes go numb or my small toe starts to kill. I have sidi genius and the toe box is nice and wide, although the insole sucks.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I wear women's size 10(ish) and have a narrow heel + no arch at all, although since I always throw my orthotics in the latter isn't that big a deal as long as there's room for all of it. Husby wears a men's size 9 and his foot is wider than mine. He bought some (mens) Northwave Mission shoes on sale early last season and he knew as soon as he tried them on that they weren't going to fit him even in a size up because the last was incredibly narrow, but they'd probably fit me just fine. SCORE- new bike shoes for me!

FWIW they're good for day rides, but I still prefer my old Cannondale Aragos for bikepacking since there's a non-zero chance your feet can swell over multiple days... the Northwave shoes fit fairly snug.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I like mtn biking, too

Lets talk about men's shoes

I was disappointed in the lack of women's five ten shoes about a year ago (they had that icky lilac color) so I tried on the Men's freerider. It fits me just fine - I got the 6.5, and I am women's size 8 M. The fit is a little wider than women's shoes but not too wide for my medium feet.
    Never use your face as a brake pad.
    -Jake Watson

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by shredchic View Post
    I was disappointed in the lack of women's five ten shoes about a year ago (they had that icky lilac color) so I tried on the Men's freerider. It fits me just fine - I got the 6.5, and I am women's size 8 M. The fit is a little wider than women's shoes but not too wide for my medium feet.
    I have men's freeriders too. I have a wide foot, and wear size 9.5-10, so finding a women's shoe that fit is hard. Those are usually too tight width-wide on my feet.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks all! I tend to wear a 9.5 to 10 in women's as well and the whole reason I am buying new shoes is because they pinch my toes and after about 30 miles it just gets unnecessary. Thanks for all the great info!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I only wear Men's shoes (and Men's jerseys, they just fit better )

I wear a 10, or 11...depends on the shoe. In cycling shoes generally a 43.5. I tried on the Fury's about a month ago, and they are amazing! I haven't ordered them yet, but definitely will, as they are narrower, and fit a woman's foot really well (in my opinion). I was about a 43 2/3 (their sizing is weird). They fit like a glove, in a good way, and are super light and comfortable!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tothepeak View Post
    I only wear Men's shoes (and Men's jerseys, they just fit better )

I wear a 10, or 11...depends on the shoe. In cycling shoes generally a 43.5. I tried on the Fury's about a month ago, and they are amazing! I haven't ordered them yet, but definitely will, as they are narrower, and fit a woman's foot really well (in my opinion). I was about a 43 2/3 (their sizing is weird). They fit like a glove, in a good way, and are super light and comfortable!
    Thanks! I ordered the 43 2/3 because I read that they ran small. I've been kind of worried that might be a size too big for me. My road bike shoes (WSD) are 42.5. It might be just about right with my socks though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    I'm wearing men's FiveTen Spitfires and love them. I wear a 39 European which is like a 6.5 men's and they feel great. I agree, WSD tend to feel a bit too tight/narrow especially if I want to wear heavier socks in cooler weather. I like a wider toe box, too, and men's just feel better to me. I should mention I ride flat pedals. Lots more shoes available for men anyway.
    This is exactly why you need to try them on. I've had 5.10 Karvers and 5.10 Impact Low's and I found that the Karvers (women's model) fit me better because it's wider in the toe box (and probably narrower in the heel). The Impacts were pretty painful to wear for more than a couple hours because they squished my forefoot even after they were well broken-in, but the Karvers are comfortable all day and were right from the start. Go figure...