Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Dudette

Let's see your blinged-out rides!

One thing I really enjoy is personalizing my bikes with different colored bits. In the past I owned a white-framed bike which was pretty easy to accessorize. Same with a raw frame. I currently own a TX 29er and adding color to this ride is a little challenging. I'm thinking of going with some magenta/purple bits to add a bit of "pop". How have some of you accessorized your rides?
    Last edited by petey15; 02-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Team Chilidog!
    I don't know why you haven't gotten replies to this, because I've seen some really cool blinged out bikes here. Mine aren't as cool, because there's no way I would have the patience to look for purple (there was a cool black bike with purple parts), and I'm not really much of a pink person.

Mine are a bit different. If I had the patience, I would have done teal with my Yeti, but I did blue with my Ventana El Lobo (semi-custom El Ciclon). My Ventana Cuervo (the DH bike) is just red with black parts.

Here's my Yeti DJ (I have a different set of grips and red pedals on it now, so the build's a bit different, but the colors are right):

My Ventana El Lobo (titanium with blue bits, even with matching Kashima coated suspension parts ):
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Dudette
    Bash Guard.JPGLet's see your blinged-out rides!-giant-dissent-001.jpgSuper Iggy.JPGLet's see your blinged-out rides!-wet-spring-ride-2011-007.jpgYes - tha's what I'm talking about! I'm trying to get inspired. I didn't have access to my pictures yesterday so I was unable to attach some of my bikes, past and present. Thanks for playing, Stripes, and here goes!

Dudette
    Let's see your blinged-out rides!-wet-spring-ride-2011-006.jpgSuper Iggy.JPGHmm, bear with me - I'm having some technical difficulties uploading pics...

Dudette
    And one last one...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your blinged-out rides!-103.jpg  

Team Chilidog!
    So, looking at your bikes, what are you thinking of doing?
    - The white geared bike is definitely got the red going.
    - The white SS could look nice with green, purple, blue, orange, etc. Any dark color (not yellow/gold because it would be too subtle IMO)
    - The gray bike could actually pull off the gold because it's darker and the gold MAY show, but I would have to see it up close.

The cool thing is you have different ways to bling.

Cheap bling:
    - Bashguards, headset spacers, colored bolts, grips or the bolt-on grip parts, seatpost collars

Expensive bling:
    Pedals (flats, not clipless), stems, handlebars, some aftermarket brake levers. I'm sure I'm missing some parts here.

Expensive plus labor bling:
    Anything wheels: the hubs, nipples, rims. This works great if you have to rebuild your wheels (I had to do with this with the Lobo because I killed a pair of Stan's rims in less than a season) or are building a bike from the ground up (like I did with my Lobo).

My experience with colors:
    Red seems to be the easiest to work with. I've seen the least amount of variants in the colors there.

Blue and gold (had a green bike in gold) that seem to have the worst variants. I went with a smaller bashguard on my bike and opted for black with blue bolts because the blue bashguard itself was horribly different than the blues in the pedals. Straitline and Raceface are really off, and that would have showed in the drivetrain. I'll need to post an updated picture.

Dudette
    Unfortunately the pics didn't turn out so great. The white bike got a lot of red accessories in the areas you mentioned above. I thought that turned out pretty nice without being "too much". Would have been awesome to have some red on the wheels, but I knew I eventually wanted to get something else, so didn't want to put too much money into it. The other bike, the Misfit Dissent 29er SS is actually raw (bad pic) and I have pink anodized parts on it - seatpost, grips, seatpost collar and headset spacers. The pink is a bit more subtle and much more to my taste.

I'd like to accessorize the TX 29er and am thinking of purple But, I want to tie in with the other colors, too, so it doesn't look all disjointed. I really like the DMR Vault pedals, in magenta/blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see your blinged-out rides!-img_0350.jpg  

see me rollin, they hatin
    i love my trance, i really do. but sometimes i look at this gem and i think, i'm gonna miss this bike when i sell it!!! i know i'm mostly alone on this, but i love gold. (not jewelry though...just bike bling)

Let's see your blinged-out rides!-3e33m83j65na5lc5fbcc9bb91430ee7af1dd6.jpg

and my current trance. if i really felt like blowing a bunch of money, i could get the I9 orange wheels. but my current wheels and hubs are good, and almost no weight saved. i'd be spending a grand for bling alone. we'll see!

Let's see your blinged-out rides!-greatbrook011.jpg
    fap

Dudette
    @ Nicole - tell me about it! There are some gorgeous purple hubs out there...but yeah, these wheels are nice and that option is far too pricey to justify for the sake of bling. But, ya know, if money was no object ...

I still think these would go great with your color scheme!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

oh they would be! problem is, i ride platforms only in the winter, and i already got really good ones (in gray. blagh. i know a powder coater though). who knows....maybe if i feel like treating myself some day.
    fap

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    @ Nicole - tell me about it! There are some gorgeous purple hubs out there...but yeah, these wheels are nice and that option is far too pricey to justify for the sake of bling. But, ya know, if money was no object ...

I still think these would go great with your color scheme!
    Ooo.. Purple.. Wish I could afford to do purple.. Purple is awesome, especially with the titanium color frame I have.

I went with the Straitline de factos for two reasons (bling was optional):
    - concave
    - good pins in the right locations

Unfortunately, no purple or orange. I would have gone with these even without the bling--I would have stuck with the black. Ahh, pedals, brings up so many emotions

Name:  defacto.png
Views: 1694
Size:  103.3 KB

But hubs and rims, different animal
    Last edited by Stripes; 02-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Dudette
    Purple is mighty hard to find! I found some Blackspires and the DMR Vaults. I've only been able to find the Vaults through European vendors (in the magenta I like), as they have been discontinued. Figures! What's wrong with purple?? You can find bars in purple, and just about anything else. Why not pedals??

twentysix pedals are nuts.

and the new canfield crampon ultimates.

both are stupid money!
    fap

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Deity makes some reasonably priced ($80) purple pedals (and matching bars and seatpost collars) that will likely go on my new build.

Dudette
    I saw those too, and about choked on my lunch.

Dudette
    Nice! Thanks for the tip! The one thing I was worried about was matching colors between the different manufacturers.

diety

seems to me, all the "purple" bling is more of an anodized magenta color. but at least you'll be able to find matching parts. Raceface makes a lot of bright colors, as do crank bros.
    fap

holy crapola the twenty6 stuff is hot!

Twenty6 Products - Products
    fap

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    holy crapola the twenty6 stuff is hot!

Twenty6 Products - Products
    Yeah, I know! I just settled on some Blackspire pedals, Race Face Atlas bars, and Salsa lip-lock seatpost collar. I know they are all different manufacturers, but am hoping they'll all be so far apart it'll be harder to notice. Plus, the bars were on sale .

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My road bike has a black/pink theme going on. I added pink bottle cages, pink grip tape, and my LBS shop surprised me by putting on pink cable ends when they did the grip tape. Now I just want to get some nice looking flat black rims. Here's a photo (I've since swapped out that gosh awful white stem for a flat black one, haha...)

Name:  375498_10152320756255442_1022847525_n.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  19.1 KB

For my new mountain bike I am unsure how to go... it's a '13 Epic Expert. I don't really want to go crazy with pink stuff, but still want some touches. I was thinking of adding pink locking rings to my grips, and pink nipples on my wheels, or perhaps springing for some Industry Nine wheels that are all pink. Still deciding...

Dudette
    @sooshee-beautiful! Black rims will look sweet on your road bike! Can't wait to see what you do to your Epic. Have you checked out Purely Custom? You can add some nice bits through them. Also what about pink spacers and seatpost collar? Not a lot of pink at once, but might add that "pop"?

grabbed some white grips...just because! i know they will get grubby real soon, but hey, whatev!
    Let's see your blinged-out rides!-p1010106.jpg
    fap

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    @sooshee-beautiful! Black rims will look sweet on your road bike! Can't wait to see what you do to your Epic. Have you checked out Purely Custom? You can add some nice bits through them. Also what about pink spacers and seatpost collar? Not a lot of pink at once, but might add that "pop"?
    Oh man, that website is awesome! I'll definitely have to think of what little things to do on the Epic. Luckily the bike is all black carbon with a bit of silver, so it makes it easy to add color!

Dudette
    @ Nicole - Nice! Are those for the Trance? Lovin' it!

@ sooshee - yeah, I've gotten several things through that store over the last few years. You're so lucky - black is easy to accessorize! I'm hoping my bike doesn't look too muttish when I'm done. We'll see!

mtbr member
    I am also kinda in the same boat. I am building up a Salsa Selma frame and I am going with a combination of blue and white components. I noticed right away the issues with blue components that you mentioned, Stripes. The frame came with a blue Salsa seatpost collar and a blue Cane Creek headset and the blues are quite different. I am going with blue Hope hubs, nipples, and Race Face Atlas stem, and I hope that those components are far-enough removed from each other that slight differences won't be too noticeable. We shall see... I'll post a pic of what I have so far later today.

I did some minor bling on my Maverick - white components are sooo much easier.
    Let's see your blinged-out rides!-dsc_0195.jpg
    Let's see your blinged-out rides!-dsc_0203.jpg

Those purple anodized pedals look sweet!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast