Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    Have you considered keeping the stem and doing white bars? What wheels are you looking at? Are you going to run HRD's? What color were you thinking of doing on your rim tape?
    I have thought about going with white bars, but I am still undecided. The boyfriend thinks white bars would make it look too BMX-ish. He says carbon would look better (and it would go well with the bike - the seat stays are carbon). I am just trying to avoid going with any black components - a raw carbon finish isn't quite black, especially in the sun, so it's an option.

I am going to hold off on making a final decision on the stem until my wheels are built. I have white Halo Vapour rims ( Halorims_Rims - Vapour tubeless ready XC/Trail rims. - Product Information -unfortunately the white ones aren't pictured) and I am going to match them with blue Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. I am thinking about getting blue nipples and silver spokes. I have a feeling that the Hope blue will be darker like the RaceFace blue and that it'll all balance out (at least I hope so!).

What are HRDs?

Dudette
    Oh, lol, my bad. Your frame had me thinking about fat bikes, and I was referring to Holy Rolling Darryl rims. Oops! I think your wheels are going to look awesome! My old Giant Yukon has Azonic wheels w/ the white spokes (got them before the brand was really well known and cheaper). I have white Sette handlebars on it, w/ white Gusset pedals. I was definitely going for the box look on that one. I thought I saw another build somewhere, with a blue Salsa frame and white bits...might have been on the fat bike forum? You might want to check that out for comparison?

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I forgot to say that Blackmarket, have some nice purple ano stuff, their underboss stems are really nice in purple, check them out.

@Maya, love you style girl, great posts above, i really enjoyed them, thanks
    I really love this thread and what everyone's posting

@RadioActiv: nice job matching up the Raceface and Cane Creek. @Mtbxplorer you both did a good job on the blue and white. My DH bike is red, black and white, I'll have to post a pic of it.

Forgot a Blackmarket--their purple handlebar is really sweet. I see it at the shop.

Also check out Atomlab for your non-purple needs. It's a shame they don't have purple rims--I have their red rims and they look pretty nice.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActive View Post
    mtbxplorer - I love the Fatback! How have the white saddle and grips held up? I've already decided on a white saddle for my hardtail, but I was thinking of going with grey grips because I feared that white would get too grungy too quickly.
    Hi, R-active, good to see you on here. Sorry about the loss of the bikecommute. The white saddle stays surprisingly clean, although I mostly use it in winter, so it sees less dirt than a regular MTB. The grips do get a bit grungy, even though they are often hidden by my pogies (bar mitts). A great way to clean them, the saddle, and the whole bike, is with a few Armor all Cleaning (not the shine ones) Wipes. I get them in a 50 wipe tub at Walmart's auto aisle, which lasts quite a while. Much quicker and less messy than a full bike wash. I've had blue grips on another bike, and those got grungy too - probably black is the only real grunge-hider.

mtbr member
    Oh, lol, my bad. Your frame had me thinking about fat bikes, and I was referring to Holy Rolling Darryl rims. Oops! I think your wheels are going to look awesome! My old Giant Yukon has Azonic wheels w/ the white spokes (got them before the brand was really well known and cheaper). I have white Sette handlebars on it, w/ white Gusset pedals. I was definitely going for the box look on that one. I thought I saw another build somewhere, with a blue Salsa frame and white bits...might have been on the fat bike forum? You might want to check that out for comparison?
    Haha, no worries. I would looove to build up a fatbike (if I lived in a place that saw more snow, I would have one). I'll look for the Salsa you mentioned; I have looked at other Selma builds to get some ideas for mine - most people went with mostly black components on them, and I think I came across one with white rims a while back...

Mtbxplorer - thanks! I did hate to give up my bike commute. I stopped posting in the commuter thread after I moved out here to NM - I guess I just got busy and overwhelmed by the change (aside from my brief 3 months in Idaho Falls, I've lived in Las Vegas all of my life until May 2011). I lived up in Los Alamos for about a year and I was able to ride to work then, but I decided to move in with my boyfriend here in Santa Fe last September and 35 miles to work each way plus the hills is just too much. I had even picked up a new commuter ('83 Trek 640) that's a blast to ride (I gave my Novara to my sister to encourage her to start riding), but now I only use it on the rare days that I get off of work early (throw it on the bus so that I can ride home from one of the other bus stops). Thanks for the tips on keeping the saddle clean! I usually have some of those wipes around for my car. It is definitely more of a challenge keeping stuff clean here in the desert.

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioActive View Post
    I have thought about going with white bars, but I am still undecided. The boyfriend thinks white bars would make it look too BMX-ish. He says carbon would look better (and it would go well with the bike - the seat stays are carbon). I am just trying to avoid going with any black components - a raw carbon finish isn't quite black, especially in the sun, so it's an option.

I am going to hold off on making a final decision on the stem until my wheels are built. I have white Halo Vapour rims ( Halorims_Rims - Vapour tubeless ready XC/Trail rims. - Product Information -unfortunately the white ones aren't pictured) and I am going to match them with blue Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs. I am thinking about getting blue nipples and silver spokes. I have a feeling that the Hope blue will be darker like the RaceFace blue and that it'll all balance out (at least I hope so!).

What are HRDs?
    Oops, my bad, I somehow got it in my head you were building up a fat bike (probably because I've been lusting after the Mukluks). Anyway, HRDs are Holy Rolling Darryl's, and the are drilled out fat bike rims. I love mtbxplorer's Fatback, too.

Lol, well, I know what you mean about the white bars maybe making the bike look too bmx-y, that's the look I was going for with my old Yukon. I had visions of doing some park stuff (read-delusions) on it. So that bike got Azonic Outlaw wheels w/ white hubs, rims and spokes (with wheels called Outlaw, it had to be bad@ss, right? ), white pedals, and white bars. I think it looks tough...tougher than I am at this point.

It'll be cool to see what you end up doing with the wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Radioactive - Those wheels sound like they will be great! I'd love to see pictures when you are finished

This is my current bike, a Rocky Mountain Altitude 970. I just treated myself to Canfield pedals to celebrate the first year of having my own business. They are great and the color perfectly matches the Raceface purple, so I am happy. I was going to just get more red bling but I'm glad I took a chance on the purple. Sorry about all the mud/snow...

Dudette
    See, I like that - going with a different color, especially the purple ! What a great way to celebrate your success- congratulations!

Gnarly
    I picked up this DJ frame for $99... a killer deal. I am spending the winter building it up. Thanks for ideas for blingy pedals /grips and seats!
    I have a wheel set and fork. (pics to follow)

I am pining for warm spring temperatures to melt the snow on the backyard pump track!

I should have the bike ready for a spring launch.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dudette
    ^ Oh wow, just look at those colors, you could have a field day with that frame! And your own pump track? Yeah, I bet you can't wait for the snow to melt. Jealous

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    See, I like that - going with a different color, especially the purple ! What a great way to celebrate your success- congratulations!
    Thanks petey!

Cyclelicious, that DJ frame is really cool! Having your own pump track must be awesome!

mtbr member
    ^ All very nice! Did you put the she-devil decal on your fork? What saddle do you have on your Rockhopper with the blue?
    Yeah, it's a vinyl decal I got off Ebay. Here's the back part of the fork.

Guess what it says? Hehe.

The saddle is a Coda that was in my parts bin. Not the most comfortable but certainly ridable. The blue accent on it makes up for it, and it works fine, so I'm not gonna replace it anytime soon.

Speaking of white accents, here's my Niner Air9. I used the NINER decal color as inspiration for what color highlight I wanted to use. White seemed logical. It's just the brake cable housing, grips, and pedals though. As far as parts are concerned, I used silver on seatpost, stem, crankset. Then a carbon saddle to match with the fork and touched off with a carbon seatpost clamp and headset spacer.

Edit to add: Some really nice bikes! Love the fat bike. Saw one at JensonUSA last time I was there. I think it was a Surley. Really neat looking. Of course, I have no use for one here in SoCal or for the type of riding I do. I'm really digging the black bike gold accents now. Gold can make or break a bike--design-wise :P
    Last edited by djork; 02-12-2013 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Lucyvet - I love the purple! If purple could have worked on any of my bikes...

Cyclelicious - Awesome DJ frame! I can't wait to see it built up.

Ugh, I am fighting with my other computer right now... Linux... I needed a break. Looking at bikes is always a nice distraction.

I've decided to send back the Cobalt 3 handlebars . They just don't quite work with the frame color.

Moderator Moderator
    All kinds of goodies on here! Djork, nice job on the Niner!

Cyclelicious, you will find a lot of range bikes on the fatbike forum if you want more ideas.

Dudette
    Some of my purple parts have arrived and what better way to celebrate Valentine's Day, than to treat your bike to some love?

Forgive the not-so-great indoor pictures. Limited room and the only blank walls in my place are those in the hallway.

Name:  Merlin in Purple.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  90.2 KBName:  Merlin in Purple 2.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  53.8 KB

I'm still waiting on the Blackspire pedals - they were backordered. I think I'm really digging the purple with this bike, though!
    Last edited by petey15; 02-15-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Added more text

see me rollin, they hatin
    nice! what else do you having coming?

and i feel like a total nerd saying this, but i "bedazzled" my helmet. yep...i glued on some gemstones. i know, right? i'll have to take a pic later.
    fap

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    nice! what else do you having coming?

and i feel like a total nerd saying this, but i "bedazzled" my helmet. yep...i glued on some gemstones. i know, right? i'll have to take a pic later.
    Bwahahhahahahahhahahahahaha pure 24k gold......pics or it didnt happen.......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Dudette
    So far, just the Blackspire Pedals. I will probably get some different grips at some point, with purple clamps, of course. I'm trying to keep it to a minimum...this kind of thing can quickly get out of hand for me .

oh, i WILL Tones. they are gold and silver stick-on rhinestones. my helmet is "burnt orange" and looks quite nice if i do say so myself.
    fap

Dudette
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Bwahahhahahahahhahahahahaha pure 24k gold......pics or it didnt happen.......
    Now THIS I have to see!!! This is going to be great!

mtbr member
    Speedgoat is clearing out some bling!

I was going to post the link to the Hope front hubs, but it seems I got the last one There has been a huge headache involving the NOS Hadley I got, namely finding a rotor for it. The rotor would have cost more than the Hope hub. Ummm... ya. It's going back up on ebay.

It's electric blue! It won't match a gawd damned thing on my bike, but who cares? HOPE HUB. I also need a new rim (36h) and spokes (making the Hadley work was my only option to avoid this...) and a rotor anyways... but the rotor for this one is only $10!

Speedgoat still has some upgrade brake levers for $29. Pink Shimano and weird green Hayes. Look through the Hope seat clamps too. They have QR and regular in various colors and sizes. $10 for regular, $13.65 for QR. Such cheap bling, no reason not to have some!!

i wasnt kidding.

Let's see your blinged-out rides!-p1010122.jpg
    fap

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ You will be Princess Nicole in my mind from now on.

Dudette
    That. Is. The. Coolest. Helmet. Evah! What did you use? Now that totally goes with this thread! You doing the bike, too?

it's just just my LG robota helmet, and stick-on gems (reinforced with glue).
    fap

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast