• 02-08-2013
    miatagal96
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here's my bike (getting a shower - it was cold outside). Red does seem to be the easiest bling to find and it's usually consistently colored.

Red bling bits: Odi grip clamps (white grips - they get dirty), seat clamp, headset spacers, cap, and bolt, chain ring bolts, hubs, spoke nipples. The pedals are pink as they came off my downhill bike and they are too expensive to replace (Twenty6).

The inner tube duct tape is pretty gawdy - blame my husband for that one. I really like the look of white rims, but the weight penalty wasn't worth it and they'd always be dirty (this photo is a rare picture of the bike being washed - there was so much salt on the roads when we transported the bikes that we had to wash them.)
  • 02-08-2013
    NicoleB
    yes Petey, for the Trance. the lockon dealies are red, but they dont clash with the orange. they're almost a pale red, so it works. they almost look.....strange on the bike. white grips and orange bars? sort of homely in an endearing way :) i feel like i need to get a white saddle to balance it out.

Ibis was my dream bike for a while, though, even their size small would have been a tad longer than i prefer.
  • 02-08-2013
    sooshee
    Quote:

Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    Here's my bike (getting a shower - it was cold outside).

I'm so happy to see that I am not the only one who showers their bike in the shower!

Last night I was looking at Industry Nine wheels for my Epic... their pink shade seems to be too much on the "baby pink" end of the spectrum... I'm much more of a fan of the raspberry/dark pink shade, so I'm thinking the Epic might end up with purple accessories instead...
  • 02-08-2013
    Stripes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by miatagal96 View Post
    Here's my bike (getting a shower - it was cold outside). Red does seem to be the easiest bling to find and it's usually consistently colored.

Red bling bits: Odi grip clamps (white grips - they get dirty), seat clamp, headset spacers, cap, and bolt, chain ring bolts, hubs, spoke nipples. The pedals are pink as they came off my downhill bike and they are too expensive to replace (Twenty6).

The inner tube duct tape is pretty gawdy - blame my husband for that one. I really like the look of white rims, but the weight penalty wasn't worth it and they'd always be dirty (this photo is a rare picture of the bike being washed - there was so much salt on the roads when we transported the bikes that we had to wash them.)

Looks good, but the cat doesn't match ;) Colors look good from here though. I'd like to get some pictures of mine out in the sunlight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I'm so happy to see that I am not the only one who showers their bike in the shower!

Last night I was looking at Industry Nine wheels for my Epic... their pink shade seems to be too much on the "baby pink" end of the spectrum... I'm much more of a fan of the raspberry/dark pink shade, so I'm thinking the Epic might end up with purple accessories instead...

Agreed on the raspberry (not a baby pink person either). Ventana has it as a custom color. I absolutely love this, but I would have to get black parts to match because the blue doesn't really go with it:

http://www.ventanausa.com/wordpress/...yraspberry.jpg
  • 02-08-2013
    RadioActive
    3 Attachment(s)
    Here's what I have so far...

The Atlas stem is very close in color to the Cane Creek headset (close enough for me). I am still trying to decide if the handlebars clash too much with the frame. I've got white Halo Vapour rims for it, too.

Attachment 769870
    Attachment 769871
    Attachment 769872

I might be going a bit overboard, the other "bling" you've all posted is so tastefully done (I love your "kitty" accessory, miatagal!). My boyfriend has been giving me some crap (jokingly, of course) about my color choices. I want it to be a bit outrageous, though, since my other bikes are fairly standard. :p
  • 02-08-2013
    petey15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    yes Petey, for the Trance. the lockon dealies are red, but they dont clash with the orange. they're almost a pale red, so it works. they almost look.....strange on the bike. white grips and orange bars? sort of homely in an endearing way :) i feel like i need to get a white saddle to balance it out.

Ibis was my dream bike for a while, though, even their size small would have been a tad longer than i prefer.

Pictures, please!
  • 02-08-2013
    petey15
    Quote:

That raspberry color is pretty sweet! I'm going to have to try that shower trick with the bike, too.
  • 02-08-2013
    petey15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioActive View Post
    Here's what I have so far...

The Atlas stem is very close in color to the Cane Creek headset (close enough for me). I am still trying to decide if the handlebars clash too much with the frame. I've got white Halo Vapour rims for it, too.

Attachment 769870
    Attachment 769871
    Attachment 769872

I might be going a bit overboard, the other "bling" you've all posted is so tastefully done (I love your "kitty" accessory, miatagal!). My boyfriend has been giving me some crap (jokingly, of course) about my color choices. I want it to be a bit outrageous, though, since my other bikes are fairly standard. :p

Ooh, I like that! The Atlas stem is gorgeous. Looking good! I'm waiting for someone (please) to come out with 1.25" stems and spacers. Not sure when that will happen, so for now, they have to stay o.e. black :(
  • 02-08-2013
    miatagal96
    I like that Salsa!
  • 02-08-2013
    djork
    Any ano color bits will work on a black frame. I prefer matte black. Here's my '07 Specialized Rockhopper in black and bling...I mean BLUE!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...5/HPIM1346.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ecRH-front.jpg
    With new flat bar
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e55/newbar.jpg

2005 Jamis dakar XLT w/ red bits
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-bashguard.jpg

2012 Cannondale Bad Boy 5 w/ green bits
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...left-angle.jpg

I've been thinking about replacing my Kermit Green '08 Niner Air9 for a matte black '12 Air9. Ano purple would go very nice with black!
  • 02-09-2013
    petey15
    ^ All very nice! Did you put the she-devil decal on your fork? What saddle do you have on your Rockhopper with the blue?
  • 02-09-2013
    mtbxplorer
    2 Attachment(s)
    I wanted some white stuff on the Fatback snow bike I built Fall 2011. Ritchey "wet white" stem/post, Specialized saddle, Fyxxation pedals, Oury grips (I switched to ESI's this winter).
  • 02-09-2013
    petey15
    ^ The white looks very nice! How much snow did end up with from the storm?
  • 02-09-2013
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Ooo.. Purple.. Wish I could afford to do purple.. Purple is awesome, especially with the titanium color frame I have.

I went with the Straitline de factos for two reasons (bling was optional):
    - concave
    - good pins in the right locations

Unfortunately, no purple or orange. I would have gone with these even without the bling--I would have stuck with the black. Ahh, pedals, brings up so many emotions ;)

Attachment 768852

But hubs and rims, different animal :)

Great taste stripes, i have 3 sets of these de factos, a killer pedal, and yes they do come in orange i have a pair.

I use every straitline component i can, they are unsurpassed in craftmanship and quality.

Their stem the pinchclamp is by a mile the finest looking bit of bling ive ever seen on a bike, i have one in orange on a flat black reign matched up with an orange straitline seatclamp and pedals, it looks hot.

Straitline have some killer ano colours, they have a very nice candy floss pink too for the girls or guys for that matter..

@ Nicole, loverly looking BMC in black, looks the bomb girl..

If you girls are looking for some purple, Deity have some quality stuff in purple, and be sure to check out their bars in ano colours, i rock some dirty 30s, killer bars and sweet looking.

cheers
  • 02-09-2013
    mtbxplorer
    Quote:

Originally Posted by petey15 View Post
    ^ The white looks very nice! How much snow did end up with from the storm?

It's hard to tell here on the hill with the drifting, but I'd say about a foot, and 2' anywhere you have to shovel!
  • 02-09-2013
    Lucyvet
    I love the black/blue Salsa and Specialized, Radioactive and Djork!

That fatbike is awesome too, mtbxplorer :D I want a fatbike so bad, especially now we have a decent amount of snow. Maybe next winter!

I would looooove a bike that Ventana raspberry color. I have a Rocky Mountain that is matt black with red and purple bits, will get pictures up later :)
  • 02-09-2013
    Bikemaya
    5 Attachment(s)
    I am not much for bright colors, but I have been doing my best to get stuff that goes nicely together! I scraped the clearance bins for my build, and *mostly* things match nicely. I really liked the colors on the frame, which was the first thing I got. I got lucky with the colors on it, it was a take-it-or-leave-it kinda deal, and the fact it was NOT obnoxious girly colors but still female specific geometry sold me. It is a nice navy blue with grey, white, and black. The colors of all my components follow that palette, so I expect it should come together pretty well, even if most color choices weren't very conscious. :) In terms of blue, I was able to get a bit of bling without spending extra. A salsa seatpost clamp in 'pewter', I believe was the color name. It is a sort of bluish grey, isn't a match to anything on the frame as much as a mix of a few colors. I think it looks nice! Just ordered a pair of Wellgo Mg-1 off of ebay. They had a nice deep blue navy color. I don't expect it to be an exact match, but they look pretty close. I read the paint chips and scratches super easily, so I expect once the color gets 'worn it', it will reduce the brightness and match much better :) The only clashing is my fork, which has a touch of red in the logo and gold stanchions. It's a really nice fork, so I wasn't going to argue with it :) Oh, I forgot about the stem. It has a touch of red too... I like how the saddle accents match very nicely as well :) That was unintentional, but I was VERY happy with the color scheme when I got it!

I am still putting things together, but this is the gist of it...

Attachment 770115

Everything that isn't on the bike is black or silver. Silver rims and spokes, black hubs and tires. Rear derailleur is black, brakes are black with grey accents. Shifters are black, grips are black, brake levers are black with silver accents, headset cap is black, spacers are black (I think I *may* have grabbed a silver one too...). Found some housing in grey to mix things up. :) Boring, I know... but it doesn't clash, which I consider an achievement. :) My methods of sourcing everything was very unfocused beyond 'most bang for the buck within my budget that fits with everything else'. Colors were a nice surprise when I had options!

Now for my current bike... oh dear. It looks like something that belongs at burning man :p Really, more like something that should be burned at burning man... It is my current mountain bike until I finish this build, but is also my commuter! I made sure that people can see it at night :D. Picture this:

A 17 year-old teal green entry level sporting goods store mountain bike.

Attachment 770117

With blue reflector tape on the seat tube and chainstays.

Attachment 770118

Blue neon lights around the top tube and down tube.

Attachment 770119

Light up blue valve caps.

Attachment 770120

I like blue. :)

And covered with bags. And a rack. Super bright Cree light. Clashing red chinese knock-off knog lights on the back. Yes, it goes on the trails just like that too :D I never have to lock up my ghetto fabulous ride. No one would be caught dead on it... and it would be really hard to sneak away on anyways :p Admit it, ya'll are jealous! ;) I have no shame >.<
  • 02-09-2013
    petey15
    @ Bikemaya - I like your style and sense of humor! On my old Yukon, I worked hard to add white parts so that the white in the logo would stand out more. I didn't particularly care for the color when I first bought it, but that was the least of my concerns at the time. I learned on it and it got me on the trails. After a few years I decided to upgrade various parts and went with white. I need to take a more updated photo because it has some white cables on it now, too.

I'm kind of going out on a limb...or whim on getting some purple components for my TX 29er, but I just really wanted to make it my own...and "different". I thought ano purple would look cool with the blue, white and polished aluminum on the bike. Parts are ordered and I'm anxiously awaiting their arrival. Even though they are all from different manufacturers, I'm hoping they will be far enough apart to not notice differences in shade.
  • 02-09-2013
    NicoleB
    dont worry Maya, most of us started out on bikes like that! granted, i was 12, but hey, i didnt know what i was missing, so i had a blast ;)
  • 02-09-2013
    Bikemaya
    When I was 12, I had a rigid maroon 24" Husky from Toys 'R' Us! When I was 9 or so, my dad let my brother and I pick out something at the toy store to keep us entertained all summer. I had been begging for a mountain bike, as I had outgrown my kid's bike that had the training wheels removed a few years before. He told me that would be a good choice for summer, and I agreed. I *really* wanted a Super Nintendo too, which is what my brother got. I knew my parents wouldn't let me get the Nintendo though, they refused to ever get me any games (and I didn't get allowance to buy my own...) cause I was fat and a girl. So, totally inappropriate, I guess. I picked out the pretty maroon bike that was the least girly and most bad-ass looking. :p

I rode the **** outta that thing! Started on the street, then dragged it up the mountain (ok, very large hill) across the street and rode it around the concrete overflow ditch up top. I tried riding down the hill a few times, but always got too scared! I dragged that bike around with me all day when I went hiking, cause I didn't really understand that mountain bikes were meant for RIDING IN THE MOUNTAINS. I would drag it to dirt paths and into other neighborhoods to ride around :p

My parents saw me having so much fun, they got bikes for THE WHOLE FAMILY in fall so we could RIDE TOGETHER. Including my brother. Who already got his Super Nintendo. And now got a bike too. No, I did not get a nintendo. Yes, I am still bitter! :( We went on a few family rides before everyone lost interest. My brother and I still rode around the neighborhood like kids for a few years. I have no clue what happened to my bike, or why I stopped riding. I don't remember the last time I saw it hanging in the rafters with the rest of the family's bikes, so I have a feeling I trashed it and it got tossed. Makes sense, since I used my bike far more than anyone else :)

My parents moved last fall. I happened to be passing through town. They still had their old bikes. My dad had ridden his maybe half a dozen times, and my mom had ridden hers even less (though I did take it to college with me for a year, then brought it back since school season= season that was too effin cold to ride it most days). They pulled them down and asked me if I wanted them, and I said yes :) Brought them down here, took them to the LBS. The LBS guy scratched his head looking at the bikes, asking where I got them. I told them they were in storage. He wiped the dust off one and skeptically asked how long (he didn't seem to believe me...). Oh, 15 years or so in a garage in a nice, cold town. Both bikes still had the original tires, in perfect shape, with 90%+ tread. Only thing they needed were new brake pads (they were petrified on both bikes, and the LBS missed that...) and one needed new grips. And a clean up. The LBS did a horrible job on the tuneup. Maybe they thought I was lying when I said they were in storage for 15 years? Or that I would never ride them and not notice? Everything needed to be readjusted after I got them back, and I know the only thing they lubed was the chains. Brakes were fubar, had to fix them myself. New grips were installed wrong (ergonomic ones...) *sigh*

Anyways, the bike I described was my mom's bike she rode back in my Huffy days :) That gawddamned Diamondback WILL NOT BREAK. I gotta give it credit. It is beat up to all hell, but nothing major has broken. I am giving it a proper retirement. It didn't get nearly enough miles. It still has plenty more on it before it is surrendered for scrap metal! I also have my dad's 'goose. It has a higher end component set on it, but doesn't fit me as well. Also, it handles like a barge in contrast to the Diamondback that handles like a much more nimble houseboat. You gotta love your line and commit the **** outta them on these things, cause you are married to it! :p They are definitely fire road type mountain bikes, but I am having a blast pushing them and myself by taking them down some small dirt hills and picking through technical rocky cactus-y stuff on a new line I have been making through non-trail desert :) I already know what trail I am going to pop my new bike's cherry on, I have been scouting it for a month now :) It has too much speed in the technical and rocky stuff for me to have enough confidence to take the Diamondback through it, but it doesn't look like anything too difficult overall. The new build will be able to stop and modulate on a dime to the $50 worth of scrap Diamondback CroMoly :p

For a last thought that is still on topic, I have been considering streamers. Because, well, STREAMERS. Like, silver and navy. And they weigh very little. Maybe I should ask the weight weenies what the weight penalty is on streamers over regular plugs? :p I might even make my own with some cool stars and moon ribbon cause I like stars and moons! How many people do you see with STREAMERS on the trail?! I am telling you, I am going to start a trend here. Streamers are totally going to be coming back :D There is no cooler bling out there!! :D
  • 02-09-2013
    RadioActive
    Thanks for the compliments, everyone! I am still undecided on the stem, though, and I am thinking the handlebars need to go (I loooove the Crank Brothers Cobalt 3s, but the color is just slightly different than the frame - it has a green hue to it versus the blue that the frame has, and it clashes a bit too much). I'll wait until I build the wheels up before I make a decision on the stem. I absolutely love the topo design on the stem (it appeals to my first and foremost passion, backpacking), but if it doesn't flow with the rest of the bike... well...

mtbxplorer - I love the Fatback! How have the white saddle and grips held up? I've already decided on a white saddle for my hardtail, but I was thinking of going with grey grips because I feared that white would get too grungy too quickly.

Nicole - that BMC is droolworthy. I am sorry that you're letting it go! My boyfriend is snagging an El Guapo with the Cobalt rims - they are sooo sexy.

Bikemaya - the lights on your commuter are great! I thought about doing something similar with my commuter - wrapping it in EL wire or such - but now I live too far away from work to commute by bike (I take the bus instead), and so I really don't have a commuter anymore. And great start on your Haro! :thumbsup:

The weather wasn't too cooperative today (I won't complain about more snow! We need it!) and our planned ride was scrapped (so we went and had some beers instead). Time to go tune a fork. ;)
  • 02-09-2013
    petey15
    ^ I was wondering about those Cobalt bars you had on there and was going to ask what color they were because they did have a greenish tint to them. Too bad you are thinking of replacing the stem, too? I agree, I love that stem. I have to go back to your pics and look again at the colors...
  • 02-09-2013
    petey15
    Have you considered keeping the stem and doing white bars? What wheels are you looking at? Are you going to run HRD's? What color were you thinking of doing on your rim tape?
  • 02-09-2013
    sooshee
    Uh oh, I just looked at Twenty6... might have to get a seat post clamp in purple :)
  • 02-10-2013
    Tone's
    Quote:

Uh oh, I just looked at Twenty6... might have to get a seat post clamp in purple :)

I forgot to say that Blackmarket, have some nice purple ano stuff, their underboss stems are really nice in purple, check them out.

@Maya, love you style girl, great posts above, i really enjoyed them, thanks