mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Ladies MTB group

For the past two years I have been biking solely with my hubby. Don't get me wrong I enjoy it, but I hate the feeling of holding him up and I wanted more riding time. I couldn't find any females to ride with so last year I went on a few solo rides but I like riding with someone else as I tend to push harder. I decided to post an ad in our local classifieds to find other females to ride with. The first few months....nothing. now with the nicer weather, I have received inquiries from 6 women and I am so excited!

Out of the 6, two have ridden years ago and the rest are beginners. One has not ridden a bike in 30 years and asked if she would need a helmet! Let me start by saying I have no problem riding with beginners, I was one a few years ago.

I suggested a day trip to an upcoming clinic (2.5 hrs away) and one lady is interested the others weren't. I don't feel that I am in a position to teach as I am only intermediate and still learning myself. I am very pumped about having some women to ride with and I don't want to turn them off.

My husband started a group a few years ago with some guys; first with one co-worker then others just started going out. They all took their turns having wipeouts, bike problems etc..but they carried on and go out faithfully two evenings a week. Having been through the trial and error process, I realize that females likely won't take the same approach.

I am turning to you women here for suggestions on how to proceed. What's the best way to start up and organize rides so that everyone can enjoy it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

Don't worry, be happy!
    I've done this in numerous iterations, everything from a very informal "hey let's do this every Thursday" with just friend and friends of friends, to formal scheduled and promoted rides, and everything in between. Right now a whole bunch of us have a Facebook group where we just post what we are going to do and see if anyone wants to join.

Once you start actually organizing and promoting, the things you have to think about are
    - how to handle different ability levels: Is it a beginner friendly ride? A no-drop ride? Social pace? If so you need to be explicit about that so that beginners feel welcome and so the more experienced riders know what to expect. If you get enough people you can always break into two groups, fast and slow.
    -If it is on a calendar somewhere, you or someone HAS to be there rain or shine.
    -Where to have it: same place same time weekly or monthly, or varying locations.
    -Communication: word of mouth, a shop or club newsletter or emails, informal emails, Facebook or ???
    -How official do you want to be? Is there a club or shop you can hook up with? Do you have liability concerns? Should you have liability concerns?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Re: Ladies MTB group

I like your idea of just posting or emailing ride times and locations for people to join if they want. I do not want to start anything official or formal, I just want to find some ladies to ride with and have fun. Like I said, with my husband, guys just joined in but it is not as smooth of a start with the ladies. I am not trying to "run" a group just trying to get some women plugged in and riding together. My ad was generic stating, "Looking for female MTB's to ride with", and I have made it clear to all inquiries that it is an informal ride but after your question about liability concerns, I will reiterate it to all just to be safe. I would love to be part of a formal group but I won't be the one to start it!

Thank you for your advise, it is very helpful.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here in NoCal there are a few women only group rides ,The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay (btceb.org) does monthy rides . The dirt divas and Luna Chics also have rides .

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm always looking for ladies to ride with, but all my girls friends are chickens! Is anyone in Sonoma County? Interested in riding?

Don't worry, be happy!
    as an update,
    we ended up making an informal facebook page for local gals to connect, and it's working great.

mtbr member
    What about getting into contact with wives and girlfriends of your husband's riding buddies? They'd be in similar situations.

mtbr member
    Where are you located??? I am the director of GGR. We are in the Los Angeles area and have almost 600 women mountain bikers! We are a non dues clubs with rides, events, day trips, road trips DH days, workshops and socials. I know clubs up north as well. Please feel free to email me directly: wendy@girlzgoneriding.com
    GGR Girl Wendy E

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Somewhere else to look for a riding group can be on Meetup.com. I live in Rochester NY and joined the Rochester MTB group online a few years ago my first summer riding. That is a site to look for a more formal group. We have weekly rides for all abilities, a TGIF 6am morning ride, night riding, and weekend afternoon trips to other trails all in a days drive.

It has taken off due to word of mouth. Anytime we see someone on the trails and stop to say hello we tell them about the group. Good luck!