mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New question here. KHS XC904r vs TURNER BURNER

Hi,
    I want to change from Hardtail to Full Suspension bike, I try to make a selection between the KHS XC904r and the TURNER BURNER and I have some questions:
    -Are this bikes too heavy for a woman?
    -Which one is better and why?

I'm a woman cross country rider with only 1 year of experience.
    My actually bike set up is:
    Airborne Lucky Strike (Titanium hardtail)
    Marzocchi SL
    XTR Crankset
    XTR Shifters
    XTR Front and rear Derailleurs
    Mavic Rims
    WTB Litespeed hubs.
    Avid mechanical disc brakes

Please help me to make a selection
    Thanks.
    Last edited by blindmelon; 06-03-2004 at 09:07 PM.

gentle like
    Well ... I've never ridden either bike, and I'm not a woman, but there's a reasonably significant difference even at the brand level.

Don't get me wrong - I've owned a KHS, my wife's first mtb was a KHS, and they're fine bikes ... but their selling point tends to be that they are "value driven," if you know what I mean. KHS is a big Taiwanese company that also makes frames for other companies. You tend to get a pretty good frame with nice parts for good price.

Turner, alternatively, being a high-end American boutique brand frame has a great rep for superior customer service, and, according to the only two people I've ever met who ride one, fantastic bikes. Their frames are much better than good, as it were. And all things being equal - aka, if the Turner isn't cost prohibitive - well then ...

Of course, you should probably you should take a good spin on both. As someone who has 'converted' back to hardtails from a pretty good full suspension bike, I might add that your current ride sounds pretty darn sweet, and is the bike of the three I would choose; ride 'em and make sure you actually 'want' the benefits of the fully. Personally, I found that they made most of the riding I do too easy (and thus a touch dull) - yeah, now I've got some back pain again, but I'm not on a ti hardtail ... yet ...

mtbr member

Turner Burner!

I love my Burner. It is not too heavy for climbing, in fact I climb really well on mine. I am a whopping 120 lbs and can easily move this bike around. Go for it!
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101

Still chuggin' along
    Yep, definitely go for the Turner! I've been on an XCE for about 15 months and LOVE it! And the Burner is lighter than the XCE. You can't go wrong with a Turner, unless it doesn't fit!
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

mtbr member
    what size burners are you all on? and how tall are you?
    i'm thinking turner for my next frame.
    thanks

Still chuggin' along
    My XCE is a 15" and I'm 5'4". If you're in the market for one, you'd have to keep your eye out for a used one in the MTBR classifieds or ebay. Otherwise, the Burner would be the way to go. Here's the specs on the Burner. At one point last year, I was told that Turner was going to make an x-small Burner but I don't know if they have yet or not.

http://www.turnerbikes.com/specsburn.html
    [size=3]Make Everyday your Masterpiece - [/size][size=3][size=2][size=1]George Michael[/size] [/size][/size]

mtbr member

Small

and I'm 5'5".

Still chuggin' along
    Quote Originally Posted by MidAtlanticXCer
    and I'm 5'5".
    Just out of curiousity, what size stem are you using? I'm keeping this in mind for future reference, if and when my XCE dies.

mtbr member

90 mm

Thomson elite 1-1/8 x 5 x 90 x 25.4 to be specific