Thread: Itchy arms

mtbr member

New question here. Itchy arms

Sorry to break away from the psychologically-themed threads that have become so popular lately, but I have a more mundane mtb-related question: does anybody else experience itchy arms when riding down long, rough downhills? In my case, it's mostly my forearms/elbows and the longer and rougher the downhill, the more they itch. Even better, does anybody know the physiology behind the itch?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskarider
    Sorry to break away from the psychologically-themed threads that have become so popular lately, but I have a more mundane mtb-related question: does anybody else experience itchy arms when riding down long, rough downhills? In my case, it's mostly my forearms/elbows and the longer and rougher the downhill, the more they itch. Even better, does anybody know the physiology behind the itch?
    Shoot, if no one else is going to speculate on this one I will. I don't know about Alaska/Colorado, but I get itchy arms riding in the east during the summer and I attribute it to allergies. Pulling this theory completely out of my as*, I'm going to say the longer and rougher the downhill, the more dust from the trail you are generating, and that dust contains pollen from the surrounding trees/grasses/whatever it is you're allergic to. It settles on your arms because they are kind of a horizontal surface when you're on the bike, and esp because they're sweaty from the climb before the downhill (don't tell me you took the lift, I'm on a roll here). The pores on your arms are open, so they take in the allergens and presto, your arms are itchy. That's what I think happens to my itchy arms, anyway. As mom says, don't itch 'em, they'll only feel worse.

mtbr member

interesting theory

I've never been diagnosed with allergies, even though I have been tested. And if it were allergies, wouldn't it be worse at certain times of the year? I don't notice any difference from spring through fall, and don't do much riding in the winter.

Thanks for the thoughts, though. I'll try to pay more attention to the pollen counts and see if there seems to be a correlation.

Any other ideas?

_
    Mar 2004
    I think it may have something to do with the blood flow in your arms. I notice that tingly/itchy feeling sometimes after a long rough descent. I also notice it when I get out of the water during the winter at the beach. Sometimes my feet tingle/itch really bad. So, Im guessing it is a circulatory system issue and not anything allergy related.