Thread: Intruder Alert

I Void Waranties

Intruder Alert

Ok so I am a guy, but I need some expert advise from you guys( I mean gals).

My wife just started bikeing some time ago and she spend most of the time on paved roads. I want to take her out on some dirt trails where the scenery and wildlife is awesome. Its rooty and on a technical rating I would say a 2/3 out of 5 from my experience. Some hike a bike will be required, but for me its part of the fun. My biggest concern is that she will get too tired/frustrated and give up too soon.

Please share your advise and tips. Just by hitting the pavement I already know that she will need a new sadle. Do I let her use my camelpac in this case I will bear the load(no problem for me) and then just stop once in a while for a water break or will she be better of having her own? The trail is about 5km with the option to go either way if you have the energy and time on the given day.
    Any advise...please; to make this experience more rewarding.
    The 1st production mountain bike was sold in 1984.
    Anti EBB

Ultimate Slacker

Just my two cents

I love when husbands look for ways to get their wives involved. Riding is a great expierence with your significant other.

I would get her a small camelback, 70oz or less so she isn't burdended down. Bring power/energy bars and take snack breaks to keep her energized and give her time to take it in.

If you have a camera, bring it to get pictures of her riding to show her later, and to take more breaks to get pictures of the nature. I encourage lots of breaks so she does not feel like she needs to go go go all the time which is a common mistake guys make. Don't burn her out.

Be supportive and don't get short with her. Tell her to get her butt back behind the seat on downhills and if she won't go down them, tell her it is okay, those things used to scare you and that you are proud of her for just being on the trail with you.

Let her set the pace but if she doesn't want to, don't bully her into. If she has to ride in front, she may try to go faster to keep from slowing you down and then she'll be exhausted and hate it.

I hope this helps a little bit. Glad to hear we may have another female rider out there. Good Luck!
    Man comes home to his wife with rope and says "tie me up and do whatever you want." So she ties him up and goes MTB'ing.

mtbr member
    Set her up with her own hydration system but don't load her up with a bunch of unnecessary weight.
    Don't rush her to try stuff to much before she is ready. The last thing you want is an injury. Show her how to easily carry or push her bike though the techie stuff. Better to make it more about enjoying the time together on the trail than riding everything.
    Take turns and lett her lead some of the time to pick her own lines and set her own pace.
    "My daughter says I shouldn't dance like this, but I'm going to anyway!" Toni Price, Hippy Hour, 11/21

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Husband of an advanced beginner wife here.

At first she preferred to just have a bottle and take a few breaks. I lugged the equipment and extra food and stuff, which for a 5k trail you shouldn't really need anything beyond the basic repair stuff. The less she had to deal with the better, I did thins until she was comfortable with everything, why carry tools if she never rode without me and didn't; know how to use them?

Whatever she's comfortable with on the road is what she should need on the trail. If she's not used to a CB it won't get used while moving on trail, so why saddle her with extra weight or complexity?

If she wants one for the road ride as well great, but if she's set up for the road all she needs to experience trail is an appropriate bike for trail.

Additionally If she's not used to riding in the dirt perhaps you want to try some easy double track 1st, just to get the feel for dirt. I know of a few roadies who think the gravel 2 track at the park that my 3 year old rides is mountain biking. If they only saw what my eldest rides.

You know her better than any of us, but keep it simple and if she likes encourage it and let her tell you what she thinks she wants in terms of both riding advise and equipment. you can hint at things she may need/want, but don't execute without consent. Hell I could get my wife a set of crossmax wheels for her birthday and I'd probably have screwed up cause she really would have rather gotten a new crankset.

So what worked for me may not work for you but 3 years ago my wife didn't ride. Now she can do a solo all day ride and my only concern is what to do with the kids. Oh wait the answer is always go ride our bikes

I Void Waranties
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies... You mentioned some interesting things that I didnít think off. She is uber noob, I mean on the beach path she does well but she stays in the same gear all the time. Heck she might just turn out to be a SS rider like me. I think the trail might be a bit much for her first ride, so I decided to take her on the gravel road to get used to dirt traction and such. The dirt road is rather boring so after that, the trail should be a blast; but no doubt she will go early to bed after the ride.

Right now she is riding a Giant iguana Disk with skinny XC tires. Would she better of with those or shall I slap on a Kenda excavator 2.35 on the front? No doubt it will make the pedalling harder but it should give her a bit more confidence...I think?
    Anti EBB

mtbr member
    Make sure she has the right equipment; knee and elbow pads and gloves. And see if there are any women's clinics in your area.

Just make it fun.
    Yeti ASR-7- (DHX RC4)
    Trek Lexa SLX- roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If she is just riding for the first time, she won't be going hard enough to need a 2.35 tire on either end, but her muscles will definitely be able to tell that its harder. Take it slow, sounds like your trying to rush her a bit. Won't work. This is your passion, give her time to make it hers, or you might be riding solo.

My gf is my height so it helps that she can ride my nice bikes rather than cheap beaters, and that makes it way more fun for her. She loves to rip on my FR bike for gravity stuff, but she still doesn't really enjoy pedaling, to each her own.
    -elake

"I don't half-a$$ anything, for me it's whole-a$$ or nothing."
    -elake

I Void Waranties
    This is the trail that I had in mind for her first run. My wife recons it would be a walk in the park but there are some climbs that will work those leg muscles. This is far from the stuff that I hope she would one day join me on but I feel that it will give her the basic skills to get started. If you click on the picture you can see some of the pics. This place is closed now as they are prepping it for the youth Olympics, so it should be even more fun once they are done.

http://www.tampineszone.com/SportsBikingTrail.htm

Dont know the people in the Vid but it gives you an even better idea of what its like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkWQ45PHzM
    Anti EBB

MTB B'dos
    OK, you've already recieved some good advice on taking it slow, keeping an eye on her and taking breaks as necessary and carrying all the tools/extras, I'll just add...........if that's the trail, make sure and give her some technical advice before she starts off, explain that the safest/best way to tackle/cross roots is square on (I saw lots of roots running diagonally across and it gave the people in the vid trouble). Also tell her she should try to un-weight the front and rear wheel when going over them to avoid slipping on them, other than that that looks like a good begginers trail, she should have a blast.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkeyboozter
    This is the trail that I had in mind for her first run. My wife recons it would be a walk in the park but there are some climbs that will work those leg muscles. This is far from the stuff that I hope she would one day join me on but I feel that it will give her the basic skills to get started. If you click on the picture you can see some of the pics. This place is closed now as they are prepping it for the youth Olympics, so it should be even more fun once they are done.

http://www.tampineszone.com/SportsBikingTrail.htm

Dont know the people in the Vid but it gives you an even better idea of what its like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQkWQ45PHzM
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Tampines looks fun.
    Never give up, never surrender.