Dirtmistress

I'm wondering...

Do you think racing takes away from fun rides? epic rides? For instance, a recent scenario: " Hey, we're gonna go do Nobel/ Brian Head/ Chilao/ Surveyors/Amasa (pick one in your area) do you wanna come? It'll be epic and then we'll go stuff afterwards and have a beer/coke/iced tea". Your reply "Gee, I can't. I have to keep my heart rate under 150 for my race that's 300 miles away next week". Hey! FYI! Your friends miss you! You miss us but you have the competitive bug. I've been there. When you're done coughing up a lung for 6th place and your prize is an old powdered power bar, give us a call.
    opinions?

Dirtmistress
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Personal decision.

Are you the racer?
    Back when "The Ringle anti-chain suck device" was the hot ticket and purple Grafton cranks were awarded to first place. Oh yeah, I got a cool medal and a Timex at Sea Otter a few years ago.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Personal decision.

Are you the racer?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

just along for the ride
    Sounds like you NEED an epic ride, enjoy riding, other things just pale, so why wonder, have fun!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress
    Back when "The Ringle anti-chain suck device" was the hot ticket and purple Grafton cranks were awarded to first place. Oh yeah, I got a cool medal and a Timex at Sea Otter a few years ago.
    I guess I need to ask a more direct question:
    Was it you that answered "Gee, I can't. I have to keep my heart rate under 150 for my race that's 300 miles away next week" when the gang suggested the "epic" ride?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Dirtmistress
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    I guess I need to ask a more direct question:
    Was it you that answered "Gee, I can't. I have to keep my heart rate under 150 for my race that's 300 miles away next week" when the gang suggested the "epic" ride?
    I apologize, I did misread it. No, it is I that suggests the epic and gets told they can't, they need to stick to specific training.
    Y'know, it's not really that bad. I will go do the epic on my own or with my friend that doesnt race if she's available. I guess I just wondered if racing is really worth the time lost exploring trails. I never really trained off-road when I raced. I trained on road. More miles, longer mountains at least here where I live. Anyway, I wanted to get some other womens opinions on racing and missing some rides with friends. I know it's not always the case, but I do get frustrated occasionally. I know my thread start up sounded harsh but I didnt mean for it to be.

mtbr member
    For those in the racing/training mode the answer is yes. They (including myself in the past) have made some sort of commitment or goals and are following through. You can't fault that. But at the same time, some decide on other commitments, or as in my case, refusing to commit, so as to keep the options open for new opportunities,

I just got tired of all that goes with training to race and now plan one riding vacation after another. I planned and commited to 20 sumer Ride Like a Girl rides over 4 months, but don't try and get me to commit to a ride tomorrow or the next day. I'll put all options on a list and show up if suits me.

mtbr member

train?

Nope, I race when I feel like it but don't bother to train - best of both worlds!
    If you are only as old as you feel, I'm 101

mtbr member

priorities

Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress
    Do you think racing takes away from fun rides? epic rides? For instance, a recent scenario: " Hey, we're gonna go do Nobel/ Brian Head/ Chilao/ Surveyors/Amasa (pick one in your area) do you wanna come? It'll be epic and then we'll go stuff afterwards and have a beer/coke/iced tea". Your reply "Gee, I can't. I have to keep my heart rate under 150 for my race that's 300 miles away next week". Hey! FYI! Your friends miss you! You miss us but you have the competitive bug. I've been there. When you're done coughing up a lung for 6th place and your prize is an old powdered power bar, give us a call.
    opinions?
    Not any worse than the other excuses: work, interview, too far away, too many bugs, I overslept, leaky faucet, bike needs a tune-up, etc. the priorities of some people just ...

Dirtmistress
    I am not wondering any more!
    Thanks
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.