Homegrown

I'm a [Bike] Geek....

We have all at one point or another had a bike that we truly loved. Could be for the ride, the fit, the design.... The memories are all there, and we all get nostalgic for those rides on occasion.

I remember my first real MTB - a third hand GT Zaskar. It was annodized blue with all annodized purple accesories... Then there was the Slingshot that I raced for a couple of seasons. That tended to incite comments along the course like, "Hey, do you know you're missing your down tube???".

Well, the bike that I really love is a road bike. This was my first road bike ever (previous to this I rode my husband's Cannondale which was WAY too big for me). Why did I love it? The ride was great, but the design was even better! It's a Rocky Mountain Turbo, limited edition frame, with the classic Rocky red to white fade with maple leafs. Not a big deal to most, but I am a proud Canadian living in the US, and this was a great design.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I recently decided that after 4 years, this frame is too big for me. I have replaced the frame with a smaller bike, but can't bring myself to part with such a sweet looking ride.

So what to do? Hubby says let's sell it, but I just can't bring myself to do it. So, the other solution is to keep the frame ...

... and make it a piece of art in the living room! My husband built a fork and bottom bracket mount, and it is now resting in our new addition ...

So, I guess this puts me in the bike geek category! Just can't part with such a purty frame...

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." - bumper sticker

giv'r.
    Nice!
    I've run into a few of those frames on various rides... they always get a lot of attention.
    Makes me want to salute with a tear in my eye.... O, Canada... sniff...

mtbr member

bikes make great art!

I think you have a great idea to use your bike as art...heck, even a nice bike frame costs less than a lot of the art out there (disclosure: I am an expert on art). My fiance and I have some unintentional (and utilitarian) bike decor in the entry to our apartment. Instead of having to trapse all the way to the detached garage in our complex every time we want to ride, we decided to hang them on one of those floor-to-ceiling racks. It's the first thing you see when you open the front door. One day, a neighbor stopped by and surprised us by telling us how much she liked the artsy-ness of the arrangement. Go figure.

I Just Ride....

Good job! You are definately A Bike Geek!!

I'd say you qualify for "bike geek" status!

I like it!
    Anytime you see bikes in other ways, you are definately a "bike geek"!
    I would say I am one, mountain biking is more or less all I photograph. Plus I have a few artsy/crafty bike things as well!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Homegrown
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    I would say I am one, mountain biking is more or less all I photograph.
    Nice photos! I went and checked out your site yesterday.

Hubby wasn't sure if he liked the new art addition, but when I told him that you all thought it was cool, he changed his mind .

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." - bumper sticker

I Just Ride....

Good job! Thanks!

Thanks for checking out my site!
    I am glad we could help avoid any marital discourse!
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member

That is so cool!

Love the frame mount.. I could certainly see doing the frame as art thing. That is way cool!
    29er Fan!

mtbr member
    Oops...I just reread my post and realized I made a big typo: instead of saying I am an expert at art, what I meant to say is that I am NOT an expert at art (far from it...actually, I'm an enginerd)

But, that doesn't change my appreciation for bike art!

paintbucket
    I used to have a bunch of rigid forks pleasingly arranged on the wall in the hallway, but they're all either on bikes or sold now. So all I've got left is the wheel on the porch. I like wheels.

When the going gets weird its bedtime.